Should There Be Legal Areas For Graffiti?

Where is Mount Pleasant park?

When you say designated area, do you mean it used to be legal to graffiti there? but isn't anymore am I right to presume?

Endless tagging I presume is just about getting themselves noticed by their signature as a rebellious anti establishment statement or people jumping on the band wagon for nobody's to gain respect in this culture who might not have any artistic talent?

Mount Pleasant Park has never been a 'legal' site for graffiti artists. This is a total misconception by graffiti writers, including some from Barnsley and Manchester that I've chatted with when visiting this site. They too were under the illusion that this is a council approved site. It isn't.

As a member of the council's Successful Neighbourhoods Scrutiny Board, I voted to sanction at least one legal site in the city for a trial period. I was in a minority, and the vote to approve a temporary site was lost. Full details of the deliberations of the Working Party on Graffiti are to be found on the SF Great Graffiti Debate thread.

mount pleasant, the ball courts, begining of abbeydale road rhs, its always well painted, writers generally leave each others pieces up as long as poss' generally the better the execution is the longer it stays. the ball court is a fairly small wall though so stuff dissapears pretty quickly, that wall probably has about 15 grands worth of paint on it.

you got it right about tagging^^ plus it develops can control and nerve.

Thing is, it is a part of urban culture and it won't go away just because some people want it to. So use it creatively instead.

Lol, Redrobbo, we will continue to agree to disagree on Mount Pleasant Park. I have absolutely no doubts about what the situation was when I worked in that area, but I understand that things have changed. I still think it's a pity, though.

And I appreciate your efforts on behalf of the legalised sites...I think it's a pity SCC couldn't bring itself to give it a go instead of banging their heads against this (pretty permanent) brick wall.

Thanks for the directions everyone, I think i know were you mean i must go have a look sometime.

Although it was perceived as a legal area to do graffiti was there ever any problems people know about? police arrests, arguments etc or such as the points i made in my original post ?

BTW Does anyone know of any legal sites anywhere at all?

BTW If anyone has got any links that they think are worth looking at then please post for everyone

Where is this other great graffiti debate thread as well? I can't find it anywhere.

Thanks for the directions everyone, I think i know were you mean i must go have a look sometime.

Although it was perceived as a legal area to do graffiti was there ever any problems people know about? police arrests, arguments etc or such as the points i made in my original post ?

Whilst there is a perception that Mount Pleasent is a legal site, it isn't. It is a council owned playground and ballpark, which has never been sanctioned for graffiti writers. It is not overlooked by any houses, and is thus difficult to police.

There are problems with graffit writers. Firstly, by their very action of painting (or 'writing') on the ballpark walls, they prevent legitimate use of the ballpark for what is was designed and provided for, namely, playing ball!

Secondly, there is creeping graffiti blight in the locality, including the external walls of the ballpark, adjacent buildings and nearby walls.

If the police stopped then why didn't you ask why they didn't arrest the culprits you saw defacing the church?

I will discuss this further in about 45mins if you're still online i want to watch last of match

because i asumed the coppers were doin somthin but then they just jumped stright in their car and were off. didnt even take there name. they didnt speddof either like they were on a call. fish and chips probably gettin cold

I think we should set up areas for all kinds of criminals. Perhaps the original poster will volunteer his house as the first legal burglary area?

I think most crimes should be legalised to cut down on the crime figures.

I think we should set up areas for all kinds of criminals. Perhaps the original poster will volunteer his house as the first legal burglary area?

your a funny guy arnt you Ken.

I remember making the comment somewhere else about teh Council shouldn't be expected to pay for people's hobbies - I believe that it was with regard to off-roading.

Graffiti and tagging is something I regard as, on the whole, unpleasant to look at, although there are exceptions. However - it's an albeit illegal hoby for some so my comments elsewhere apply.

If you want a legal graffiti wall, why not get a group of people together, find soem land, get some planning permission, build some walls, and off you go. Seriously?

I assume the problem is money - you might (or might now, who knows) find it difficult to raise the money needed, so why assume that soem mysterious 'them' is willing to cough up?