Should There Be Legal Areas For Graffiti?

I don't mean for the endless tagging or the Jon woz ere stuff, I mean the big colourful artistic dubslike this

So following on from the last graffiti thread with some brilliant examples from the links posted on how some graffiti IMO can really brighten up a dull wall should there be legal areas to spray?

If you think graffiti artists should have somewhere then how could it be implemented? for example: What about lack of wall space in some towns & cities, Health & safety issues, white kids talking black, will it encourage more graffiti etc etc

Graffiti artists generally do not charge for their work. They bear the cost of their labour and the materials. The public benefits when it is appreciated but suffers when it is not, so how do you have artwork which will suit most peoples taste?

Most walls are boring, one color, and are begging for expression if you ask me & graffiti artists can be thought of as personalizing that wall. But isn't their wall /property, it is a public space! Yet, their personalization is forced on the public.

Consequently, the community is usually opposed to graffiti. It is against the law and usually steps are taken to remove or paint over the graffiti. The community pays the cost of these remedies. But once erased, a clean surface could invite new graffiti so whats the answer?

What about graffiti with a message, most graffiti is purely art, but some attempt to convey a message as well & it is interesting that the content is usually political and negative so this would also be an issue?

if people want to express them selfs through taggin then let them do it in there own home on there own walls

if people want to express them selfs through taggin then let them do it in there own home on there own walls

But I reckon most graffiti artists just like most people like to be recognized for their talents which is one of the reasons they probaly do it public places in the first place?

But I reckon most graffiti artists just like most people like to be recognized for their talents which is one of the reasons they probaly do it public places in the first place?

well they can do it on canvous and try an get it in to a galorey

well they can do it on canvous and try an get it in to a galorey

I doubt any art museum would accept any piece of graffiti although this could be a option, but the high/attraction of graffiti for some might be the adrenalin, chase by the police darkness & the simple fact it is illegal? I should of stated this in my original post come to think of it.

I doubt any art museum would accept any piece of graffiti although this could be a option, but the high/attraction of graffiti for some might be the adrenalin, chase by the police darkness & the simple fact it is illegal? I should of stated this in my original post come to think of it.

some little gits where sprayin on the church at the top of my road today. a church of all places is bad enough but the fact it was in the middle of the day and that they didnt seem to care when i shouted "oi fu*k off" realy got to me. if i couldhave been aresed i would have gone after them but i was knackerd

some little gits where sprayin on the church at the top of my road today. a church of all places is bad enough but the fact it was in the middle of the day and that they didnt seem to care when i shouted "oi fu*k off" realy got to me. if i couldhave been aresed i would have gone after them but i was knackerd

Did you call the police?

Did you call the police?

pointless the coppers drove past twice when they where doin it and even stoped to talk to them once

There is a great graffiti area in Mount Pleasant Park. It is at risk now, as the Council are saying it isn't a designated area - though I have to say that when I worked there, both they and the police said it was...

It's in the multi-use court, and some of the content is a bit adult, but the work they do is colourful, often shows great talent, and is, in my opinion, far more attractive than concrete walls.

They were always self-policing, appearing to follow some unwritten laws about covering up each other's work, brought their own materials, and were polite if defensive when approached (obviously they'd had trouble in the past from critics, but as soon as they found out I wasn't after stopping them, they were fine.)

I think there is a place for graffiti in cities, and I think that if you ban it completely and pretend as hard as you can that it doesn;t have to exist, you are creating problems for yourself.

In it's place,and it does have a place, it can be witty, smart, beautiful, and well worth having.

But tagging alone - don't get me started. I hate it.

pointless the coppers drove past twice when they where doin it and even stoped to talk to them once

If the police stopped then why didn't you ask why they didn't arrest the culprits you saw defacing the church?

I will discuss this further in about 45mins if you're still online i want to watch last of match

There is a great graffiti area in Mount Pleasant Park. It is at risk now, as the Council are saying it isn't a designated area - though I have to say that when I worked there, both they and the police said it was...

It's in the multi-use court, and some of the content is a bit adult, but the work they do is colourful, often shows great talent, and is, in my opinion, far more attractive than concrete walls.

They were always self-policing, appearing to follow some unwritten laws about covering up each other's work, brought their own materials, and were polite if defensive when approached (obviously they'd had trouble in the past from critics, but as soon as they found out I wasn't after stopping them, they were fine.)

I think there is a place for graffiti in cities, and I think that if you ban it completely and pretend as hard as you can that it doesn;t have to exist, you are creating problems for yourself.

In it's place,and it does have a place, it can be witty, smart, beautiful, and well worth having.

But tagging alone - don't get me started. I hate it.

Where is Mount Pleasant park?

When you say designated area, do you mean it used to be legal to graffiti there? but isn't anymore am I right to presume?

Endless tagging I presume is just about getting themselves noticed by their signature as a rebellious anti establishment statement or people jumping on the band wagon for nobody's to gain respect in this culture who might not have any artistic talent?

Mount Pleasant Park is just behind London Road, where it splits off onto Abbeydale Road.

I was told as a worker by SCC and the police that it was a designated graffiti area. But that was some years ago, and having spoken to Redrobbo about it, I understand that it no longer is. Which i feel is a tremendous pity.