Old Sheffield trams

As jgharston says, the points were electromagnetic, being triggered by the magnetic field of the motor, power on /power off, There was always a large green box at the side of the points which contained the operating gear,

The junction refered to was for the Crookes/Walkley tracks and was manually operated by a man who sat in a small green box,

The official colour scheme was prussian blue and cream, very smart too

The junction refered to was for the Crookes/Walkley tracks and was manually operated by a man who sat in a small green box,

I've found you this of the very pointsman "trotting out" at Houndsfield Road, I dont think I would have fancied his job on a day like today.

http://picasaweb.google.com/pdprop/TramPointsman#5264928454230017842

(Make sure your volume is turned on)

Brilliant ! Is there any more where that came from ?

I remember the box, it had a sort of shelf at an angle of 45, degrees, instead of a seat. I imagine so that the pointsman had to stay alert.

I remember the dams opposite Weston Park Hospital and the Waterworks on Crookes Road but although I recognise the top of Hounsfield Road, I can't remember the Walkley fork. Did it go through the car park by the University library/Arts Tower, coming out by the Star & Garter Pub/Scala?

I just can't visualise what was where the University tram stop is NOW? I remember St.Philip's Road but can't recall the junction up to what became the roundabout. Were there traffic lights or was it a "Stop" junction? Did trams come up there then? I've got the Crookes route, think I've grasped the Walkley South Road route but can't picture lower down?

Brilliant ! Is there any more where that came from ?

I remember the box, it had a sort of shelf at an angle of 45, degrees, instead of a seat. I imagine so that the pointsman had to stay alert.

I've quite a bit more where that came from ....... but the only trouble is most of it is copyrighted ........ but if you could see one clip again, what would it be and we shall take the risk.

chairboy ...... theres a nice picture here showing the route past the topside of The Scala ........ I'm far too young to remember, it looks like they pulled a lot of nice buildings down to make way for the University.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s20679

chairboy ...... theres a nice picture here showing the route past the topside of The Scala ........ I'm far too young to remember, it looks like they pulled a lot of nice buildings down to make way for the University.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s20679

Thanks pietro. I looked at the whole Hounsfield Road page and remember the shops at the top that rounded towards Leavygreave. I noticed the police box (tardis) as well. Quite amazing, I'm old enough but can't picture everything in my mind, as I would like, all the previous lay-out.

I remember the dams opposite Weston Park Hospital and the Waterworks on Crookes Road but although I recognise the top of Hounsfield Road, I can't remember the Walkley fork. Did it go through the car park by the University library/Arts Tower, coming out by the Star & Garter Pub/Scala?

I just can't visualise what was where the University tram stop is NOW? I remember St.Philip's Road but can't recall the junction up to what became the roundabout. Were there traffic lights or was it a "Stop" junction? Did trams come up there then? I've got the Crookes route, think I've grasped the Walkley South Road route but can't picture lower down?

Approximately where the university Information Commons building is now was housing (I used to go courting with a lad who lived on Upper Hanover Street)

those houses were your typical early/ mid Victorian terrace, (no bay window, mind you) two-up-two-down with scullery- off-shot kitchen.

They were demolished in the early 1980s, for the road-widening scheme.

I have a video of a tram journey through Sheffield, the views of the old place are magic and the commentary is a real hoot.

I wish I could get it transferred to DVD and then we could all see it again.

Has anyone else seen the film.

Happy Days! PopT

I don't know, you didn't say what it was called.

Thanks everyone for the answer to my question about changing the points. Does anyone remember a black, single decker tram that used to run around Sheffield? I think it belonged to the maintenance gang and was used for cleaning the rails.

Thanks everyone for the answer to my question about changing the points. Does anyone remember a black, single decker tram that used to run around Sheffield? I think it belonged to the maintenance gang and was used for cleaning the rails.

Yes, is the short answer but others may be ble to expand on its presence or show pictures?

I've found you this of the very pointsman "trotting out" at Houndsfield Road, I dont think I would have fancied his job on a day like today.

http://picasaweb.google.com/pdprop/TramPointsman#5264928454230017842

(Make sure your volume is turned on)

Great movie Pietro, I wonder what happened when the pointsman needed to spend a penny?