Old Sheffield trams

...heres my explanation once and for all !...

....Prussion Blue was used by the Transport Dept up till 1948 , after which the blue was changed to a slightly lighter shade called Azure Blue , which it kept right up to takeover by SYPTE in 1974.

The problem with the Supertram version of Azure Blue (which everybody agrees is too light !) , is that 30+ years ago , Prussion or Azure blue would be supplied by one nationwide company , and was probably a British Standard coded colour , meaning other companies could call the colour another name - like midnight , royal , ect ,but with the BS Code , it would still be the exact same shade . Remember also , back then it was almost all oil based , and brush applied paint.

These days , with the introduction of mix your own , and oil,synthetic,cellulose,acrylic,and recently water based auto paints , and paint suppliers en masse, Azure blue probably has a choice of a dozen or more shades , none of which probably match the BS Coded one of years ago.

This is obviously what has happened with the Supertram . They have obviously gone to the nearest paint supplier and asked for "Azure Blue" and then applied it onto the tram without checking the paint against a sample / pic until the shade is correct. Colour swatches are used till the exact shade is matched ,and the reference noted. THEN the colour is mixed and bought .( as a car resprayer for the past 25 years , i know all about the probs of paint matching !) In this day and age , and paint technology revolution in recent years, ANY retro colour (vintage cars , retro listed buildings,ect )can be replicated easier than ever before , so there is no excuse.

Just through a little bit of research with the correct people , an exact match these days could be easily achieved ! Instead , the Supertram Sheffield retro livery will become remembered for being wrong amongst the people who can remember and know !. The problem is, I just hope the younger generation dont accept this as "Sheffield " livery referance for restorations in the future as the blue is NEITHER Prussion or Azure Blue in the original, correct shade of Sheffield Transport / Tramways spec.

btw , i will post pics tommorow of old Sheff tram 460 recently painted in the CORRECT shade of Prussion Blue/Cream down at Aldwalke.

Edited by bracken

If tha goes to tramways museum at Crich near Matlock Bath tha'll find some still running

If tha goes to tramways museum at Crich near Matlock Bath tha'll find some still running

....yes i know , and highly recommended , and all in correct shades of Prussion or Azure Blue !!!!! - proper Sheffield livery !!!!!;)

.....shame Crich couldnt have done something to commemorate the 50 year ann, though , as apparently Last Tram 510 is stuck in a corner with paint peeling ect ...:rolleyes:

Or Beamish. Some there as well :thumbsup:

....Prussion Blue was used by the Transport Dept up till 1948 , after which the blue was changed to a slightly lighter shade called Azure Blue , which it kept right up to takeover by SYPTE in 1974.

The problem with the Supertram version of Azure Blue (which everybody agrees is too light !) , is that 30+ years ago , Prussion or Azure blue would be supplied by one nationwide company , and was probably a British Standard coded colour , meaning other companies could call the colour another name - like midnight , royal , ect ,but with the BS Code , it would still be the exact same shade . Remember also , back then it was almost all oil based , and brush applied paint.

These days , with the introduction of mix your own , and oil,synthetic,cellulose,acrylic,and recently water based auto paints , and paint suppliers en masse, Azure blue probably has a choice of a dozen or more shades , none of which probably match the BS Coded one of years ago.

This is obviously what has happened with the Supertram . They have obviously gone to the nearest paint supplier and asked for "Azure Blue" and then applied it onto the tram without checking the paint against a sample / pic until the shade is correct. Colour swatches are used till the exact shade is matched ,and the reference noted. THEN the colour is mixed and bought .( as a car resprayer for the past 25 years , i know all about the probs of paint matching !) In this day and age , and paint technology revolution in recent years, ANY retro colour (vintage cars , retro listed buildings,ect )can be replicated easier than ever before , so there is no excuse.

Just through a little bit of research with the correct people , an exact match these days could be easily achieved ! Instead , the Supertram Sheffield retro livery will become remembered for being wrong amongst the people who can remember and know !. The problem is, I just hope the younger generation dont accept this as "Sheffield " livery referance for restorations in the future as the blue is NEITHER Prussion or Azure Blue in the original, correct shade of Sheffield Transport / Tramways spec.

btw , i will post pics tommorow of old Sheff tram 460 recently painted in the CORRECT shade of Prussion Blue/Cream down at Aldwalke.

So I was right in the sense that 'azure' blue was used by the original trams but the blue used on this commemorative tram isn't the 'azure' blue originally used. Being of 1951 vintage I remember the older Prussian blue livery that remained on the older trams as well.

...part-restored tram 460 in the Prussion Blue version livery , on display at Aldwalke today.

Just awaiting Coat of Arms and gold pinstriping .....

Picture010.jpg

Hi Joan. Great photo of you by the tram and yes that dark blue is the colour I remember on the older trams but think it was slightly lighter on the later ones.

Great pier in Bournemouth, enjoy going on there when I visit, also listening to the music at the banstand in the park.

Cheers Gordon 1936

Excellent post Bracken ,thank you. Right on the mark.

Hi bracken. The clip from BBC Look North was brilliant. Not being able to be there on the occaision it was great to see. Many Thanks.

Gordon 1936

Brilliant explanation there Bracken and must be bang on the money what has happened, credit to Stagecoach for doing something tho