Old Sheffield trams

I have a video of a tram journey through Sheffield, the views of the old place are magic and the commentary is a real hoot.

I wish I could get it transferred to DVD and then we could all see it again.

Has anyone else seen the film.

Happy Days! PopT

Most of the old trams were scrapped at Tommy Wards scrap yard which was at the Meadohall corner of the Meadowhall Retail Park. By the way does anyone remember the name of the pub between there and Tinsley wire:confused:

THere's a previous post about this pub, check 23/9/08

I've had another look into my notes and travelling from the Carbrook Hall towards Rotherham there were the following public houses.

The Royal, The Union, The Wellington on the Tinsley wire side of the road were Pheasant, The Tinsley Hotel, The Burns Hotel and The Plumpers.

Hope this helps and creates some interest.

Happy Days & Nights PopT

can anyone reccommend a good book about the sheffield trams of the past. My girlfriend loves them and I want to get her a book about them for christmas

I found a Sheffield tram at Beamish....it was great to see it. I wondered if I had ever gone to work on it back in the 50's....:thumbsup:

I just remember the trams being yellow Joan, never saw one that colour, My route was mostly from South Road to Winter St.

I just remember the trams being yellow Joan, never saw one that colour, My route was mostly from South Road to Winter St.

I'm sure I can remember blue and cream at some stage as well. I lived on Newhall Road so they were up and down from about 5.30am to 10.30pm...ish.

Something strangely comforting about the hum they made.:thumbsup:

As far as I can remember. The driver carried a metal pole 3 or 4 ft long. He would stop the tram,then either he or the conductor would prise the points over using the pole.

At busy junctions there would often be a pointsman who would do the job for them.

Thanks for the reply. I can remember the bar being used at the terminus along with the trolley pole but don't remember the trams stopping at junctions to change the points. Then again, it was a long time ago.

Does anyone know how the tram drivers of old changed the track points?

Sheffield pioneered a devlopment that allowed the driver to change the points from inside the cab by some diversion of the power from the motors. There was one junction - at the top of Houndsfield Hill - where the road was too steep to turn off the power to the motors without rolling back, and so that one set of points needed to be manually changed.

Sheffield also developed the overhead pickup reverser so the driver didn't need to manually grab the pickup and take it around to the other end when changing direction at a terminus. The wires were arranged so as the car approached the reversing point, the pickup followed a wire off to the side. When the car changed direction, the pickup followed back onto the wire, having been turned around in the process.

Sorry, but it's a bit difficult to describe without pointing at something ;(

I have a photograph of what I believe was the last tram in Sheffield, (1962?) passing by the Town Hall. My nan was a civil servant, & a friend of Ald. Jim Sterland; and her cousin was ex-Lord Mayor, Sidney Dyson, which is probably how she came to have the photo in her possession.