Market stalls on the Moor

Remember the days of friendly rivalry between Leeds Headrow and Sheffield Moor, as to which which was better for more stylish shopping?

Allowing market stalls to open was one of the Council's worst errors in my opinion - makes the place look like a scruffy Haymarket of old.

I totally agree RiffRaff, wherever there are market areas the area takes a nose dive ... the same will happen when the New Market Hall is built off the Moor! It is sad that the 'once premier shopping' street in Sheffield has been taken over by the rubbish!!

As part of the regeneration of the Moor the market traders from down the middle will be moved, and the suggested place to move them to is the cathederal square. However, the trader's arent happy with this, and want to be moved to fargate.

I think the market stalls need to be moved from down the middle of the moor, as they split the Moor in two, and make it a much more cluttered and unfriendly for pedestrians. If the regeneration of the Moor is to succeed, they must be moved.

Moving them to the square outside of the cathederal will be disasterous for the market traders, as they will loose a large amount of passing trade. Also, the cathederal will suffer, and without the council looking after the area properly (asif that's gonna happen) it could become downtrodden like the Moor is now.

I also think that if they were to move to fargate it would bee a disaster, as the exact same problem as with the moor would re-occur. Although the council is already cluttering it up with rides other rubbish.

Personally I think that the only solution would be either to move them into the new market buildings, or when the NRQ is complete, move them to the new charter square.

What's your thoughts?

Here's some link's to shed some light if you don't know what I'm on about.

http://www.sheffieldtoday.co.uk/viewarticle.aspx?articleid=2006152&sectionid=5730

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=311939&page=2

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=310570

Our city planners should take a trip to Norwich and see the market stalls.

Neat, tidy and colourful in the city centre more of an asset than an eye sore.

Our city planners should take a trip to Norwich and see the market stalls.

Neat, tidy and colourful in the city centre more of an asset than an eye sore.

Our city planners should take a trip to anywhere and never return. It has been said before that Sheffield ends up with the planners that progressive places wouldn't touch with a barge pole. It's obvious to everyone but the planners that we need a designated market area situated away from city centre shops.

The stalls on The Moor don't constitute a market, they only exist for the convenience of the minger population. What we want is a 21st century version of the old rag and tag, the council are supposed to be sorting the market areas out so why not incorporate what is described as a market in a new market area? :confused:

Our city planners should take a trip to anywhere and never return. It has been said before that Sheffield ends up with the planners that progressive places wouldn't touch with a barge pole. It's obvious to everyone but the planners that we need a designated market area situated away from city centre shops.

The stalls on The Moor don't constitute a market, they only exist for the convenience of the minger population. What we want is a 21st century version of the old rag and tag, the council are supposed to be sorting the market areas out so why not incorporate what is described as a market in a new market area? :confused:

Why on earth do we need these markets anyway? All they do is attract the street drinkers, hot dog sellers, and the general riff raff associated with the the present market areas?

I totally agree RiffRaff, wherever there are market areas the area takes a nose dive ... the same will happen when the New Market Hall is built off the Moor! It is sad that the 'once premier shopping' street in Sheffield has been taken over by the rubbish!!

So....

They will move the open air markets to either Fargte or the Cathedral Square and ruin one of the few nice parts of Sheffield City Centre.

Poundland at the Peace Gardens next?

So....

They will move the open air markets to either Fargte or the Cathedral Square and ruin one of the few nice parts of Sheffield City Centre.

I understand that they recently had a sale at Poundland. :confused:

Most of the stalls up The Moor sell good stuff bar the one that sells cheap stuff out of boxes. What you can get:

Good quality fruit and veg - not shrink-wrapped in 15 layers of plastic.

Pet supplies.

Shoes, shoelaces and shoe polish etc.

Accessories like bags and belts for hoovers and household appliances - the things you simply cannot find elsewhere.

Superb quality 2nd hand CDs and DVDs.

Decent quality bags and luggage (kiosk at top end).

Quality plants grown on a smallholding in Norfolk, with garden advice thrown in for free.

Bargain price towels and bedding.

Funny really, but these stalls usually attract office workers and shoppers with a bit of nous, rather than 'mingers' and 'riff raff'. The 'mingers' and 'riff raff' are usually the idiots who are still stuck in the mindset of driving to the nearest Mega-B&Q to buy the same stuff you can buy for a fraction of the price from the market on your lunch break - and support a small trader into the bargain.

Funny also how people go "Ooooh, how quaint!" when on their two week break to the Costas or Frarnce and they traipse around markets but then they get back to Yorkshire and won't be seen dead in a UK market.

The only reason the Moor stalls look odd is that they have been placed at an angle for some weird reason. Places like Chesterfield and Skipton have successful street markets but they look more attractive as there has been no attempt to 'tart them up'. Castle market is grim because it's a horrible precinct full stop.

We need MORE markets, not less! :thumbsup:

So....

God forbid!

There's also the fact that a lot of these market boys sell the same type of goods as the 'big name' shops (Atkinsons springs to mind) on The Moor, and yet A's are still having to pay through the nose for business rates, etc.

At one time you couldn't get hold of property on the street for love nor money - look at it now, cheapjack shops everywhere, on short-term leases.

I think the Cathedran square is actually owned by the Cathedral (I seem to remember special permission being needed to build the tram stops there). So I doubt the markets would move there.

We do need a proper market square though, but I don't know where it could go.

Well the Cathedral would be a cruddy place for a market, I agree with that!

Without anywhere for a proper market place, the Moor is actually the best place in town - they just need squaring up. It was obviously some young architect's bizarre notion that had them at silly, messy angles.

Unless somewhere could be found near the new development near the Grosvenor? It could even be a Camden style market on a Sunday - that would provide a genuinely new shopping experience for Sheffield.

The new market hall will hopefully be good - lets hope they model it more on the excellent & busy markets in Chesterfield, Donny, Oxford and Barnsley.:thumbsup: And less on the 'modernist' lines.

I completely agree with Heeleygirl. The market's in Norwich are brilliant. They have nice colourful stalls, not set at odd angles, and the stalls are secure, so the market traders don't have to pack and unpack every day.

Unfortunately they have a dedicated market square, which we dont.