Is The Honours System Devalued?

Is The Honours System Devalued?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Is The Honours System Devalued?

• Yes
    • No

The Chairman of the Rivelin Valley Conservation Group was honoured this year. Much better that local people get awards for local deeds than some businessmen bunging a wad of cash at Blair

I voted yes because I agree that whilst they are undoubtably awarded to those who richly deserver them. Equally they are handed out in turn for political favours, public admiration, and as a reward for long (or short) service to the government.

Nominations should be allowed to be vetoed by the people, and there shouldbe public nominations as well.

As far as bekham goes, I think he does deserve a medal, and I'm no football fan. He's taken on the role of national boyhood role model and does it very well; apart from the odd outburst on the pitch.

The day Victoria Beckham gets an OBE however, is the day I march on parliament with my Pitchfork.

Phanerothyme and I aren't positioned at opposite ends of the hall on some of the Forum debates, we're in different galaxies, but on this count his view echoes mine exactly.

Blair in particular has handed out honours and titles to his 'friends' in blatant disregard for the obvious public dismay at the 'cronyism' that we can all see.

I find it extremely annoying when people are given gongs for just doing their job. There are some people, for instance high court judges who are elevated automatically when they achive their office. And although I love international cricket and was moved to tears when England won the Ashes last year after so many years, I find it unfortunate that the whole team was given honours for it, because it devalues the awards, when there are more sucsessful british sports players who were overlooked. In my view it would have been more fitting to reward the team if they held on to the ashes for a decade. Some of the younger rewarded players havonly just started their international careers.