Is The Honours System Devalued?

Is The Honours System Devalued?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Is The Honours System Devalued?

• Yes
    • No

Many people believe that our current honours system these days is devalued with people getting honours who don't really deserve them. This goes for CBE, OBE and MBE. David Backham recently received OBE, now I am not saying that he doesn't deserve it - he does seem like a nice chap and he does have a rare talent but I have read articles where people are disgusted. What do you think?

I voted yes because I agree that whilst they are undoubtably awarded to those who richly deserver them. Equally they are handed out in turn for political favours, public admiration, and as a reward for long (or short) service to the government.

Nominations should be allowed to be vetoed by the people, and there shouldbe public nominations as well.

As far as bekham goes, I think he does deserve a medal, and I'm no football fan. He's taken on the role of national boyhood role model and does it very well; apart from the odd outburst on the pitch.

The day Victoria Beckham gets an OBE however, is the day I march on parliament with my Pitchfork.

Yes I do think it is devalued, honours should only be awarded to those who have performed outstanding achievements. Just because someone has performed on the football pitch, wrote music, books, or won acclaim as an actor/actress, does not mean they are entitled to a medal from the Queen.

Medals and honours should only be awarded to those who have given outstanding service to their country as they used to be in days gone by, such as on the battlefield, or Sir Edmund Hilary who climbed mount Everest.

All this rubbish about giving honours to people who have made millions of pounds out of writing songs and pop artists, footballers who run about kicking a ball is ludicrous. Every one should only be given to those who deserve it, the very bravest men and women.

Beckham is a superb footballer, nothing against that but he gets a gong for it.

Somewhere there is the best Bricklayer, plumber, dog trainer whatever proffession they all have there top notch tradesman but yet no gong for them.

Its a question of if your famous, whatever your achievment your already lined up for an award.

We should nominate Geoff Bowen :wink: for an award for this exellent forum.

Keep this topic quiet to Debouncer or he,ll give me some stick. :wink:

• 5 months later...

It's a way of rewarding exceptional service to our community which hasn't necessarily been reflected in financial reward (but if it has why should that disqualify them?).

I'm glad we don't restrict honours to military heroes. Those whose achivements are in sport or the arts may (or may not) have have earnt financial success but the honours system is rewarding them for uplifting the spirit of the nation, for being the generators of good news, feelings of sharing in their success. It is instructive to look at the public behaviour of those awarded honours and those with apparently comparable achievements who haven't been recognised. I'm not saying everyone who gets an honour is squeaky clean, few of us are exempt from the occasional mistake, but those honoured tend to fall above average. Some honours are handed out as part of the pay-deal if you like - I'm thinking of the diplomatic corps for example - well if we can get very capable ambassadors at smaller salaries than they would attract in the private sector simply by handing out an honour, it sounds like good economic sense.

I think it's very sad when the likes of that poet last week decide to seek publicity by rejecting an honour. If he didn't like the system he could just decline it, he doesn't have to have a tantrum.

The people against are the professional moaners; those who've got no concept of community service - "If tha ever does ow't for now't do it for thissen" (from The Yorkshireman's prayer); a few so thick that they can't grasp the fact that the queen (who they are anti-) has almost no say in the selection; and those still stuck with their 19th century class war concepts, not able to cope with the concept of anyone being better than them - an arrogance in itself.

Sure there are some honours granted which I disagree with but I don't know the full story, I'm reasonably happy to delegate the decision making to the politicians as long as they don't exploit it to their own advantage (and if they do - change the politicians, not the system).

Why does everyone in this country have to be so ******* negative about everything? What harm does recognising achievement do? We need to do more celebration of achievement and success. It sometimes seems to me the only time we are allowed to say what a wonderful person someone was and recognise their achievements is at their funeral - that's a bit late isn't it?

'That poet' (Benjamin Zephaniah, I think it was) declined it because receiving it would have been contrary to the purpose of his job. Having read some of his work, he can be forgiven for making a tantrum of it.

I only personally know of one person to have received an MBE; David Stevens, principal medic at the Isle of Man TT races. He received it for 'invaluable contribution to motorsport'...

• 1 year later...

I have brought this back to the forefront because again there are calls for the system to be overhauled and modernised.

I've read that OBE, Knighthoods and Dames will remain but the possible introduction of a Blue Peter style badge as well as the traditional medals already in place.

How should it be decided who deserves an award?

I think they are devalued enough without adding items like Blue Peter type badges.

Archived