The Writers' Group introduction thread.

You're all mad as sticks!!

And I'm really sorry- due to a wine spillage a year or so ago, my K key doesn't work unless I bash it, so forgive me when there is a K missing.

Whatever you do......don't post a contribution regarding the *u *lux *lan and then you'll be OK. :)

Go on then, give me a good *ic*ing for posting that corny jest, I dare you! :o

'Lo all. I'm Seamus, 20.

I've not posted anything up here yet but I will do shortly. I don't tend to write fiction although I love reading it - Donald Barthelme is God.

I'm more of a poetry man, and I've had a bit of this and experimental writing published in journals and such, but I've not made much effort with submissions since to be honest. I've also read at events organized by Word Life and Creatovate in the city.

Anyway, working on a couple of things at the minute so I'll post them soon, look forward to seeing all of your work!

Evening all! I'm Kel, 23, residing in Norfolk Park. Been an avid reader my whole life (including while my mum was doing the hoovering around me when I was 2) and have been writing things ever since I can remember. My first story is possibly the one about "Slowy the Snail", also illustrated, written for my Bampy when I was barely attending Primary School. Unfortunately for Slowy the Snail, he met an untimely end and unfortunately for all my other wonderful stories, they never got all the way out of my head and usually ended up flailing around about the beginning of the middle.

Hopefully all that is going to change now! I'm enrolled in an OU course about "Writing Fiction" and I hope to get some complete stuff out of my head in the very near future.

I'm currently in the middle of Stephen King's Cell (taking a short break as I've been reading it since 3pm), my first SK book and hopefully not my last. Other favourite authors include Kathy Reichs, Dean Koontz, Christopher Pike and LJ Smith.

I hope to get chatting to some of you soon!

Whatever you do......don't post a contribution regarding the *u *lux *lan and then you'll be OK. :)

Go on then, give me a good *ic*ing for posting that corny jest, I dare you! :o

You're lucy I don't now arate, or I'd ic your bacside! :hihi:

I am considered to be a reasonable competent writer having had several articles published over the years.

It is, however, difficult to write 'cold' before ascertaining the most accepted subject matter that would appeal.

Possibly someone would care to voice that which is the more popular of topics.

I am considered to be a reasonable competent writer having had several articles published over the years.

It is, however, difficult to write 'cold' before ascertaining the most accepted subject matter that would appeal.

Possibly someone would care to voice that which is the more popular of topics.

On the SFWC you can write about any topic that takes your fancy, you write it, we’ll read it and hopefully you’ll get load of comments.

Welcome on board Heeley tyke.

On the SFWC you can write about any topic that takes your fancy, you write it, we’ll read it and hopefully you’ll get load of comments.

Welcome on board Heeley tyke.

Thanks for that but for some reason I am being told I cannot access the forum without stating name and password. This happens all too often!

Once I can access that which I want to, I shall endeavour to produce some interesting articles.

Introducing myself...

...as a reader - never without a book. As a boy I went through phases of CS Lewis, Arthur Ransome, SciFi - Heinlein and Clarke etc. Biggles. Tolkein. As an adult - Dickens, Austen, crime mysteries (Dorothy L Sayers, Michael Innes, Cadfael etc) non-fiction: history, archaeology, popular science. Contemporary children's fiction (see below). All sorts of poetry.

...as a writer - I have been involved with groups and workshops in Sheffield since the 80's, more often as a poet but I have lots of unfinished stories in drawers. Recently I have been part of a 'writing for children' group. I am also occasionally a storyteller (which for me is a different discipline from writing) and tell my versions of traditional tales, to children or adults.

In the distant past I was an archaeologist and am apt to gaze into builders' excavations (plenty of those in Sheffield) and think how I miss scraping away at the bottom of holes and finding things.

Hugh

Introducing myself...

...as a reader - never without a book. As a boy I went through phases of CS Lewis, Arthur Ransome, SciFi - Heinlein and Clarke etc. Biggles. Tolkein. As an adult - Dickens, Austen, crime mysteries (Dorothy L Sayers, Michael Innes, Cadfael etc) non-fiction: history, archaeology, popular science. Contemporary children's fiction (see below). All sorts of poetry.

...as a writer - I have been involved with groups and workshops in Sheffield since the 80's, more often as a poet but I have lots of unfinished stories in drawers. Recently I have been part of a 'writing for children' group. I am also occasionally a storyteller (which for me is a different discipline from writing) and tell my versions of traditional tales, to children or adults.

In the distant past I was an archaeologist and am apt to gaze into builders' excavations (plenty of those in Sheffield) and think how I miss scraping away at the bottom of holes and finding things.

Hugh

Welcome to The Writers Group. Archaeologist came top of the list of jobs that people would like to do. Myself I like looking at old buildings in towns like Newark. Just admire the doors & windows, but dont suppose thats old to an archaeologist. :)

Reading is a most pleasurable pastime: writing is an art!

Reading is a most pleasurable pastime: writing is an art!

Well said Heeley tyke. !!:)