The Writers' Group introduction thread.

Welcome to the group Geza.

Hopefully you will get some support here, in your quest for publication.

I see you have already posted a short story. I wonder if it is clean or rude? I'll look forward to finding out. :heyhey:

hi my names mary i love doing storys but im dislexic so my spelling is not up to much actually i can hardly spell but i love writeing storys

hi my names mary i love doing storys but im dislexic so my spelling is not up to much actually i can hardly spell but i love writeing storys

Hi Mary

Yey! I am from a family where dislexia is a scourge - my father, my sisters, my own son are severley dislexic. I have dislexia to a certain degree - left and right get muddled up sometimes and I have to work very hard at spelling. My dad is dead now and my sisters didn't get any help until they were 13+. The then education system failed miserably to help or even identify those with dislexia. My sisters are twins and they were treat as if they were idiots! My son has been helped by various mentors over the years and is now at University and he writes - he is working on a science fiction novel at present and it is good stuff.

Go for it - sod the spelling that can be tidied up anytime. Have you tried using a filter for your pc? My son uses 'Parrot Green' which helps him to focus on the words. You can have a test done at an opticians - I think free of charge - it should identify which colour is best for you.

Keep writing!

MiS

Hello All,

Just a quick line of introduction. I'm Lft and I hope to post a few poems & short stories as I am interested in hearing some feedback.

Bye for now.

Hello everyone

I've been watching your discussions for a few weeks and have just got around to sorting out an account so I can join in. You all seem like a nice bunch. I'm just celebrating having my third non-fiction article published but have never got anywhere with my fiction writing. I'm hoping that being on here might give me an incentive to keep going. Lady A

Hi All,

My name is James and I've already posted a couple things on here. Some sports articles for a Sheffield free-mag a while back and most recently a translation I made of a famous Latin poem by Horace. The poem's now being exhibited in large on the Moor in Sheffield, and you've maybe seen it, maybe not (link to exhibition pic in me signature).

Plan for this year is to bust a couple more translations, and see maybe if I can write an 'intermediate students guide' for the ones I've done - lots word meanings and notes etc. Also wanna write me this genre-crime story I've had etched out for a while now. Guess it will be part police procedure and part, I dunno, I really want to make it so it kind of turns you back-to-front. Working title: 'Preparation of a suicide scene'.

James

Hello to all who might read this,

I would like to introduce myself to the group. I write under the name Ian Rivedon, which, as most will deduce, is not my real name. It's my pen name, or pseudonym, whichever is preferred.

I was born in Sheffield, in Attercliffe to be precise, in a building that was only recently demolished. It was immediately alongside the Newhall Road bridge over the River Don, so, since I was born at home, I can claim to be one of the relatively small number of people who have been born literally within spitting distance of that once murky old river.

Is it just me, or do Sheffielders in general have an unusual affection for what was, until recently, little more than a sewer? I love the river, particularly its name...Don. I think it's just typical of Sheffield to have a river called Don. I wonder if it was called after somebody of that name in the dim and distant past? (I know, it's rumoured to be named after a Celtic goddess, but that doesn't appeal to my sense of humour)

I know that there's a copy of our Don in Russia, and maybe that one, too, is held in great affection, but I've never met any Russians called Don, and I'm certain there's no Celtic tradition there. So, maybe their river was called Don for a completely different reason. There's also one in Canada, but that was named in honour of ours, so maybe the Canadians are wondering the same thing as I am. Who was Don?

I now live just outside London, in Hertfordshire. Unfortunately, nowhere near a river. I began writing a couple of years ago, and now claim to be a full time writer. I'm unemployed really, though I now just tell people, in a gloating sort of way, 'I don't work anymore.' I like it when they reply with, 'Ooh, aren't you lucky? You don't look old enough to retire.'

I haven't had anything published yet, but I have just sent my first novel off to a literary agent, and now await my first rejection slip. I have the frame all ready to put it in.

I look forward to contributing in due course, and to receiving some feedback. If anyone's interested, I have recently started a blog called Beyond 1984. A Google search will find it. I can't post the web link yet, but will do in due course. I'd be really happy if I received some feedback from Beyond 1984, too. You might even recognise me from my photograph.

Until next time then...

IR

Edited by Ian Rivedon
punctuation

Oooh ...what a lovely long thread ... ! :D

I've recently moved to Sheffield from Manchester ... and I find that I like it a whole lot better somehow. :D

I've a few hundred internationally published articles to credit and have worked for over a year as a news-magazine's sub-editor. I'm now trying to break into the local/national magazine industry ... fingers crossed for lots of luck. :D

I'd like to introduce myself as a local(ish) writer - currently based in Rotherham. I've hovered around reading the odd post before, but I thought it was time to register and get involved :)

Hi GKamsika. I'm glad you've decided to get involved. A wise decision, in my opinion.

Welcome to the other new members too :wave:. LFT, Lady Agatha, Jahanshahad, Ian Rivedon and Mimi83 - thanks for introducing yourselves, and it's encouraging to see that you're all getting involved straight away.

Have fun!

Ron

Hello Ian

I've just had a look at your blog and I'm very impressed so I've subscribed to receive updates on your postings. I'm also working on a novel so I'm interested in the musings of someone else engaged on such a task. My problem is finding the time though, as I seem to have so many committments, it's very frustrating having all these creative ideas floating about and no time to get them down on paper. Keep up the good work.

Lady A:thumbsup:

Hello Lady Agatha,

Thank you for saying nice things about my blog, 'Beyond 1984'. It's good to get feedback, particularly positive feedback.

I know how you must feel, having commitments that keep you from writing. I used to be the same, and found it quite dispiriting. However, I was 'helped' by getting the 'sack' from my job. The quotes are because I am pursuing an unfair dismissal claim, but that is another story.

The fact is though, I'm writing now on a full time basis, and what a new lease of life that gives you! Apart from having no money, I'm enjoying life tremendously. I've changed my whole outlook, too. I've adopted my new model from my literary hero, George Orwell, who, despite coming from a privileged background, literally starved as a young writer (and some of that starvation actually happened in Sheffield! No better place to starve, really). So what was good for George, is good enough for me!

I hope you can ultimately find more time to write. In the meantime, just keep on writing whenever you can, and keep a notebook with you to record all those creative ideas.

In closing, for the benefit of others, I believe I'm now able to include the URL for Beyond 1984 - here goes:

http://www.rivedon.co.uk

IR