The Writers' Group introduction thread.

The only thing I can think to say right now is 'gulp'... I've been sitting here an hour debating my writing prowess and thinking, can I do this, dare I do this, yes, no, maybe.

The 'maybe' won after a battle of Wills (that's those little men who run around in my head with placards, it’s just easier to remember them if I call them all by the same name). I have to say the 'no' placards usually win in a battle of Wills, so having a moment where the 'Maybes' triumphed is a feat in itself.

I have a few more posts to make before I can go forth with my password begging bowl, I just hope the ‘Maybes’ stand strong until that time.

Fingers, toes and eyes to nose, all crossed till then :D

Hello - just stumbled on the writers group.

My book has just been launched so I now consider myself an author...

It recalls the time when I worked for 6 local authorities in 6 years as a management consultant and tells what its really like living in hotels and out of the back of your car boot.

Looking forward to writing again but probably after christmas

Linky is in my sig so I won't link drop.

Hullo, I just came across this section. I've recently started a novel (very recently - not finished the first chapter yet) and I get writer's block very easily.

Hello All!

It's been a long time since this topic was started hasn't it?

I'm Kate, 24, a Sheffielder and a passionate children's fantasy fiction writer. After five years of not being able to think about anything else seriously, I've finally finished my weird and wonderful children's book, which is a mere 70,000 words!

I've just sent my work off to an agent and hope to hear from her soon...still waiting...I'll wait another month before I remind her! ;)

It's like wondering around in the dessert with no water - fingers crossed she likes it!!

I was born in Sheffield 48 years ago but my family relocated to Essex when I was only 5. I still have distant memories of Broomhill. I love reading, particularly historical fiction and short stories.

I have written a fair amount of short stories myself and I am also into Life Writing.

Hi, Eveyone!

I have been hovering about these boards plucking up the courage to get involved for quite some time now!!! Have finally bitten the bullet and joined in!

Am female, 39 and the first book that really grabbed me by the scruff of the neck was 'Alice in Wonderland'!

Welcome Fanfa!

I'm looking forward to reading some of your work.

Hi all,

I have just joined Sheffield forum so new to it all. I joined because I want to be a part of the writers group, not only for critical feedback but I have also resolved to start reading my poetry.

Sadly I can't make any claims of a great history in English language, my English teacher at school was brain damaged, so as kids do, we used it as a tool to avoid learning. Although I did leave school with a good knowledge of the second world war, India and great contribution the British made to the world. All that was forty years ago so it's time to move on.

While I can write love poems, it's not my real interest. I like to think that my stuff is edgy, most call if angry. I don't see that but I don't mind as long as it's not indifferent. I'm happy to take on input that other may make, positive is okay, but I have a fantastic ego so don't mind how many negative stones are thrown, as long as they're constructive.

If anyone can point me in the direction of poetry reading venues that would be great.

I started to writing to alleviate the boredom of college when I was seventeen or eighteen. Now, over twenty years later, I am an avid writer of all sorts of things. Science Fiction and Fantasy being my preferred genre, but I am currently writing a novel about Death and a spy thriller based on the Len Deighton style. Would love to communicate with other writers of other genres.

Hello.

My name is Caroline and I love writing. I'm hoping I can be a member of this group and I look forward to meeting like minded people and reading their work. I live near the city centre. I've written a few poems but I prefer writing stories as I'm not all that clued up on verse and its rules.

I was hoping I could be given a few pointers (aside from the ones in print) on the best way to go about doing this writing group. Meanwhile I'll keep reading.

Caroline xx

I have to write. It's a compulsion I've had, right from junior school.

A good teacher, at Whitby Road Annexe (Darnall), told me, when I was about eleven,

If you hear a new word etc. that you want to remember, try to make it into a rhyme or short story.It makes it easier to remember.

I started doing that & just carried on from there.

That must have been around 1959. Good old Mr Mawson!

I wrote something for the Forum writers group, called CRASH & sent on it's way.

Unfortunately, I'm rubbish with computers & it probably got lost.

If anybody comes across it, I'd be grateful if they'd flag it up, as I'm new to all this.

I normally stick to pen & paper. My house is cluttered with scraps of rhymes and unfinished stories.

Hi, I'm Geza-

I joined in September last year but have only just started practicing at being a real participating member and not just a voyeur.

I don't live in Yorkshire anymore- but I went to Uni in Huddersfield when I was younger. A friend of mine pointed me in the direction of this site and I'm very glad that he did.

I'm trying to get my first book up to scratch so that I can try and get it published (one day). I'm also into writing short stories. I try to keep them clean but they inadvertently turn out rude! Have no idea why ;)