The Writers' Group introduction thread.

Hello all - My name is Martin and I'm pleased to announce that I have just received my password to the writers group. Although I am not the kind of person who reads all the time I do try and finish every book I start. My favourites (by a mile) are Orwell and Wilde though not neccessarily in that order. I have also enjoyed a few good stories by W Somerset Maugham and am currently struggling to get to grips with my first Thomas Hardy. As far as contempary writers go, I have recently read books by Tony Parsons and David Baddiel and found them quite enjoyable.

I hope to use the group to post my own stories etc and welcome all constructive critisism.

Also hope to find some ideas for the next book to read as I tend to stick with authors I already know rather than wasting my time on something which may disappoint (so all recommendations are welcome).

Thanks again to Mantaspook for adding me and hope I can post something soon for you all to look at.

Hi all, is this a writer's guild exclusively in sheffield? I kinda wanna join if there's still a spot, i do enjoy writing up horror stories and poetry and such. I'm a dude, my name is jeff but you can call me jepoy, my usual filipino name. I've been here for the past 9 months and yeah well, i'm looking forward in joining the writers guild if it's okay :D

Not sure where I am heading to… writing.. I am what you would refer to as a complete novice, but my desire is to overcome my fear of writing before it become phobic.

… at times when I am having a nice jovial conversation, the question would burst out of nowhere… do you write … at this point I simple want to double over with laughter, saying out loud are u trying to be funny… So, here I am, let’s see where this journey going to take me.

Reading has become an eventful passion in my life, and i soak it up as much as i can manage

Writers:

John Grisham

Paulo Coelho

David Baldacci

And many more

Hi folks,

Been a member for a couple of months, but only just got around to posting anything. Ooops!

I'm an English teacher, productivity freak and lover of green tea. Stick me in a well stocked kitchen and I'll be happy all day...

Writers:

Douglas Coupland

Khaled Hosseini

Audrey Niffenegger

Niccolo Machiavelli

Hi Ollie,

Welcome to the group and well done for posting something. I'm looking forward to reading your "weapon" story.

I've been a member for about a year and I've had some great feedback and support here. I'm certain that you, and the other new members, will benefit most by being brave enough to post your writing... but don't forget to leave feedback for others too. That's what it's all about after all.

cheerio

Ron

Hi All.

I am Deano that plays the banjo.. thanks for having me aboard, i have only just joined your writing group, but i hope i can offer you all a little something, i am very inexperienced and a complete novice, but i do love to read and have tried on a few occasions to put pen to paper, having now found myself unemployed, i thought the time would be right to try and motivate my mind in this direction.

I generally read biographies, not about anyone famous, but just normal working class people who have a story to tell, one of the best books i read was by Hellen Forseter. "Tuppence to cross the Mersey"

Anyways..thanks to you all

Banjodeano

Hello! Just joined tonight and very much looking forward to being a part of this. I'm currently writing a book to go with my wedding business - I'm hoping this will inspire me to push on with it!

Secondary to that, I just love writing and have been a journo, English lecturer and radio presenter - so writing and being creative has always been part of my life.

If I have a lot to do (like marking exam scripts) I will find the time to write a poem - funny how inspiration strikes at the most inappropriate moment!??!

Looking forward to reading on here.

Rachel

Oooo, btw Banjodeano, Tuppence is a fantastic read - totally agree!! :)

I have recently created a new website unremarkable-journeys.com

It is a free forum for writers of all standard and in ten 10 days it has had over 9000 hits 46 members and over 300 different topics, including poetry and advice from published authors.

Please feel free to join me

John Daley

hello, I've just joined as I've realised it's about time I started to write something. Did a creative writing workshop yesterday which has inspired me to start writing seriously. I really enjoyed the writing exercises we did, and I've realised that I might not be that bad after all!

Favourite writers include Irvin Welsh, Hemingway, Orwell, James Clavell and John Irving.

I grew up reading Modesty Blaise, amongst others. Think it's because they belonged to my brother - who obviously liked the sexy chick on the front cover.

Hello

My name is Iain Broome and I write fiction. I completed my novel as part of Hallam's MA Writing course and I'm now represented by literary agent, Tibor Jones. I also work in Sheffield as a copywriter for The Workshop, a design and e-learning company based in Nether Edge.

Side projects include:

Write for Your Life - a blog that provides practical advice and productivity tips for writers

Websites for writers - an independent directory of online writing resources

Words Aloud - formerly Sheffield's premier open-mic night for creative writing!

Hi I'm the newest member of the group having joined this afternoon. I have always loved making up stories (this is before I realised it was 'creative writing')and not me just day dreaming again. I left secondary school with no qualifications and was just about illiterate. I have improved a bit since then! I love to read and have a pic-n-mix approach as I will tackle anything that looks interesting although I try to ignore the hype on the back cover and form my own opinions. Recent reads are 'What's Eating Gilbert Grape?, The Corum Boy, The Secret Life of Bees, Pig Heart Boy.' My favourite reads are Jane Eyre, The House on the Strand, The Time Machine, The Power of Three, and so on. I have my own library of several hundreds of books which are currently languishing in the garage as I don't have room in the house for them.

I am looking forward to e-meeting you all and sharing the highs and lows of creative writing with you.

Edited by maidinsheff