A beer, a chat, a smoke

And die of fresh air and loneliness

That surely is no joke

Where will it end, this nanny state,

What will the fools do next -

Impose a tax on breathing air

And a supertax on sex?

Observations of a non-smoker.

This is a very good satire on the July 1st restrictions on smoking.

I stopped smoking 20 years ago but I still don't object to those who wish to enjoy a cig in a pub or club.

I remember when the majority of people smoked. It was not considered immoral or annoying. Times change, however and we must now await a new ban on a different pastime.

How about banning drinking in public and only allowing consumption of alcohol in one's own home?

Sex can cause heart attacks. How about putting a restraint on the number of times one may indulge in sex on the grounds of 'Health and Safety'?

Overeating can be fatal. What about issuing ration cards that will only allow people to buy as much as they can exist on?

This, I know, is written with tongue in cheek... For God's sake, don't let any budding politician decide it's a good idea!

I've only just found this forum, so hello!

I write constantly, mostly the tales of a fictional town called Laverstone near London. Many of these are posted publicly on Blogspot as a marketing measure for the books. I also write non fiction, poetry and short fiction.

I hope to join in sometime soon.

Rachel

I remember when the majority of people smoked. It was not considered immoral or annoying. Times change, however and we must now await a new ban on a different pastime....

I concur. I was saying only the other day that as cars cause more fatalities than cigarettes, we should ban those from public places too.

Hi I'm Sarah. I live in Hackenthorpe. I'm on a WEA writers course at the moment and eager to do more! (Anyone know of anything on over the Summer?) My favourite books / authors are:

Ray Bradbury

Joolz Denby

Iain Banks

Martin Millar

Jeff Noon

Robert Holdstock

and lots of others besides!

I like the urband fantasy genre - takes reality and stretches it a little..

I'm writing a novel - kind of supernatural thriller meets road protesters..

I really enjoy writing!!!!!

Hi I'm Sarah. I live in Hackenthorpe. I'm on a WEA writers course at the moment and eager to do more! (Anyone know of anything on over the Summer?) My favourite books / authors are:

Ray Bradbury

Joolz Denby

Iain Banks

Martin Millar

Jeff Noon

Robert Holdstock

and lots of others besides!

I like the urband fantasy genre - takes reality and stretches it a little..

I'm writing a novel - kind of supernatural thriller meets road protesters..

I really enjoy writing!!!!!

Ray Bradbury is also one of my favourite authors sarah. Good luck with the novel.

Hello, I'm Stuart, a poet, and I moved to Sheffield at the end of March.

Have only written one thing since then - I'm still in a settling-in period here so not got much on the writing brain. A couple of neat ideas in the pipeline though, I hope!

See y'all round

Stu

I like the urban fantasy genre - takes reality and stretches it a little..

I write urban fantasy; the supernatural rubbing shoulders with the mundane.

Hello there. Been in Sheffield a while, but am a recent SF visitor. Work from home editing and proof-reading (very hit and miss job, you get nothing for weeks and then 3 rush jobs at once) and also transcribe medical notes and produce PowerPoint documents for a surgeon friend of mine (which is fine but he is a colorectal surgeon, no more need be said). Still looking for a more steady workflow, but in the meantime am toying with retraining or selling out to the ratrace, as I have a large mortgage to pay on my own now.

Hello there. Been in Sheffield a while, but am a recent SF visitor. Work from home editing and proof-reading (very hit and miss job, you get nothing for weeks and then 3 rush jobs at once) and also transcribe medical notes and produce PowerPoint documents for a surgeon friend of mine (which is fine but he is a colorectal surgeon, no more need be said). Still looking for a more steady workflow, but in the meantime am toying with retraining or selling out to the ratrace, as I have a large mortgage to pay on my own now.

Welcome maramcp I am a new member myself, doing my third degree but love anything to do with reading and writing. I have read some brilliant stories on the Forum and it makes me a little unsure of my meagre writings. Here's to when we see our name in print.

Sounds interesting, Leatherdykeuk. I am summoning up the courage to do some more writing, but today an trying to find my desk under mountains of paperwork. Back later.

Hello. I'm new here, although I have posted in a couple of other threads. I've written a bit, worked as an editor, and now am a full-time mother who still does not have enough time for writing!