The Writers' Group introduction thread.

I woke up at about 3.00am after having a strange dream with the thought that it could be shaped into a good fantasy story for the Writing Group.

As usual I went back to sleep and can't remember it this morning. Doesn't it always happen to everyone? :hihi:

If I get any deeper into this Group it seemsI have three choices. Buy a Dictaphone for the bedside, have a notebook and pen handy or the worst scenario of all......giving up a sniff of the wine cork before Morpheus turn up.

Comet here I come! :)

I woke up at about 3.00am after having a strange dream with the thought that it could be shaped into a good fantasy story for the Writing Group.

As usual I went back to sleep and can't remember it this morning. Doesn't it always happen to everyone? :hihi:

If I get any deeper into this Group it seemsI have three choices. Buy a Dictaphone for the bedside, have a notebook and pen handy or the worst scenario of all......giving up a sniff of the wine cork before Morpheus turn up.

I had a dream last night that I was Homer Simpson and... his daughter, I forget her name was lopping my arm off with a saw. I woke in a cold sweat and thought about trying to add it to a story.

I wish it had forgotten it now.

Aye, the essay I entered for my GCSE open writing coursework was inspired by an alcohol induced dream I had in Zakynthos....

That metaxa is a cruel mistress......

Hi all

Okay, so what can I say about me? Well, been writing for as long as I can remember and always received support and encouragement from friends, family and teachers alike. I mainly do sci-fi and fantasy, and self-published my first short cyberpunk novel earlier this year entitled Fallen Skies: A Pocketful Of Secrets. So far it's been well-received with the second one due out very soon (this month). I'm also working on a dark fantasy epic which I'm hoping to have ready for release next year.

Influences include William Gibson, Robert Heinlein, Philip K Dick, M John Harrison, Iain M Banks, Arthur Conan Doyle, Chuck Palahniuk and Terry Pratchett (asmongst others).

Favourite all-time book: The Princess Bride

Hope the group goes well, and hope to be seeing some good writing from you guys.

Have fun for now.

MJE

Hi, I'm Jo.

I live and now, for the first time in years, work in Sheffield. I have always been known as the family bookworm - can't even remember learning to read! I think my mum may have taught me when I was still in the womb!!! I read anything, from leaflets through the door to shampoo bottles when in the loo. I especially read a lot when on holiday - I've been known to read 5 books in the first 5 days and then be forced to read them again when I have nothing left! I get totally lost in a good book, but very frustrated in a bad book.

I recently read The Labyrinth by Kate Mosse, which was a very strange book that I simply couldn't put down. I loved the Lord of the Rings books and was extremely disappointed when I could see the end of the last book approaching, but still couldn't stop reading as fast as possible.

I used to write essays, or as my teacher put it, epics, when at school. Once I left school I wrote poems about anything and everything. I haven't written a story for years though and am not sure whether I will be able to, but I'm really excited at the thought of trying.:clap:

I am an avid reader, for as long as I can remember I've had a book stashed somewhere. Glancing over my shoulder at a bookcase I see the Brontes, C. Cookson, Margaret Mitchell, Jean M Auel poets heaps of biographies and autobios., Neville Shute & James Patterson etc etc. Whether I will be counted as a writer is another thing I have written a novel, shoved in a cupboard somewhere, poetry mostly comical and a few short stories. A few years ago I joined a writers group and after that I dried as it were- so this is going to be a challenge- great, I love a challenge. Good writing everyone - Mary.

It's interesting to note that many of you, like me, were taught to read by a parent, usually Mom, before going into school. It makes you wonder about the future, where TV is an enormous influence on youngsters, and carrying out the services of a babysitter for moms who are either out working or don't have the time or skillls to teach their kids to read. This is in no way a condemnation of them but it is a shame to deprive children of one of the joys of life, the ability to read and write.

It's interesting to note that many of you, like me, were taught to read by a parent, usually Mom, before going into school. It makes you wonder about the future, where TV is an enormous influence on youngsters, and carrying out the services of a babysitter for moms who are either out working or don't have the time or skillls to teach their kids to read. This is in no way a condemnation of them but it is a shame to deprive children of one of the joys of life, the ability to read and write.

I totally agree - it seems that many parents feel it is school's job to teach their children to read. My niece is 5, can read quite fluently and has a room stuffed full of books. I love the fact that she has the same addiction that I always had, and I can see that it will probably be an addiction that will last throughout her life. I almost envy her in that she will be reading all those great books for the very first time!

I am currently reading a real page turner called "To the Ends of the Earth: The Hunt For The Jackal" by David Yallop about Carlos the Jackal. Too much info to go into but fascinating and very topical.

Hi

I'm Sam 37 year old mum of 2 from Hillsborough. I used to write all the time : poems and short stories but due to extreme stress in my family life, this has sadly not been the case of late. I need something to stimulate my brain that will also give me something to do for myself.

My only 'claim to writing fame' was being one of the infamous Kelvin Poets. Myself, petefcs and the much discussed Mozaz cobbled together a short collection of poems we'd all written about Kelvin Flats. It was self published and we sold every copy. We were minor celebs for a few weeks and you can still get hold of a copy in the library's local history section.

I love books and my house is like a library although it does seem that most if the books I read these days are kids ones with my son. We are currently on the second of the Molly Moon books and would reccommend them to anyone with young kids!

Well, that's me!

Hi all,

I love horror and thriller books. Have had a few poems published in the past but haven't written anything recently.

B

Well im not gonna write anything as long as some and id like to leave some mystery but i love reading and writing. At infant school id read every book there and started on the junior books (was proud of this hehe). Secondry school i read all the boks in that library and im almost half way through the library books at college (mostly read educational about art and stuff). I spend ALL free time (lots of it :D) reading stories on the net, nothign else to do really though. oh and uhm...name = suzanne :)