The Writers' Group introduction thread.

Wow! There's like a whole writing group thing on the Sheffield Forum and I never knew?! Doh! Oh well I'm here now! Hello everyone! My name is Spin and I am 23. I did a Journalism BA at Sheffield Hallam and have now totally lost all sense of being able to write, ironic isn't it! I have been battered into word limits and structures and all that creative juice sucking ********! I am DESPERATE to try and get back into writing again and looked to join the Sheffield 19-25 writers group but they haven't got enough interest so it's not running! BOOOO! Soooo if anyone would like to help me with confidence, ideas, generally someone I can use as a sounding board for one on one (I HATE people reading my writing and want to get over this soooo much) I would be amazingly grateful. Just so your get a gist about me I have dreadlocks, love music and am inspired by writers such as Hunter S Thompson (I have a Gonzo tattoo and wrote my dissertation on him), Tom Wolfe, Lester Bangs and generally any other quirky counter culture text. I am totally open to trying my hand at other genres, maybe being set a title with a word limit to get feedback, who knows just if anyone can help I'd be over the moon!

Aww so happy to have found a forum of writers! How amazing :)

Much love to you all,

Spin

Hi just thought I'd introduce myself as only just joined the Forum to be a part of this group. I love writing, mainly factual pieces, but thought I'd try my hand at fiction. The same goes for my reading interests which range from factual sports and history books, to horror and supernatural fiction.

Hi. I am also new to this part of the forum but have been writing since 97. Firstly poetry but have dabbled into short stories songs and plays. I have lots on my computer and would like to share them with some new readers. I have been a member of Glass Mountain writers, based at Crystal Peaks library since its conception 10 years ago and we are a mixed bunch. Everyone welcome there on Thursday afternoons 2-00 - 3-30 ish.

Spinelly: if you feel that a public posting of your writing is too much pressure, PM me something and I'll read it (eventually). I try to offer thoughts on the writing and the ideas, rather than the mechanics of typing and grammar (that is, I'm not going to say where you should have, but didn't, put an apostrophe).

Dr Ibbotson (strong Sheffield name, btw), I noticed that you've posted on the August competition. Tomorrow or Friday, and you'll get some feedback. Welcome!

And Carose: get sharing.

Andy

Hi. I'm Shaun, and I'm a writer. For years I've written short stories, articles and one non-fiction book. Now I find that I have the chance to write full time so I'm taking it. There are too many words yearning to get out for me not to.

Once I work out how to post stories on here I shall, and hopefully I'll be able to help others as they help me too. Cheers

Hello. I'm Paul, and for the past few months I've been busy trying to learn the ins and outs of screenplay writing.

Keen to link up with filmmakers in the region and try out some short film ideas. Currently (trying to) write material with a black humour slant but I also have a penchant for injecting a bit of lo-fi sci-fi into mundane/everyday situations.

Hello writers group!

My name is Annie. I used to love writing stories at school (many years ago now...) and always assumed that i'd carry on once i left. Never quite managed it though as i couldn't get started.

I had a look at your group and the monthly short story thread and today sat mulling ideas and decided to put pen to paper and have written my first story in years. I mis-remembered the theme though, and wrote a story for 'Halloween' instead of 'Horror!' I know there is a certain cross-over, but as I was over the word limit and finding it difficult to cull I decided to put back in what i'd culled/left out and will post it just as a story, not in the monthly thread.

Anyway, even if it's not very good i have thoroughly enjoyed myself writing it, so thank you for inspiring me to give it a go! :)

Happy writing everyone

Annie

Hello everyone. My name is Pete, which I'm afraid is blindingly obvious by my 'handle' in the forum. I kind of stumbled across this section this morning, not because I'm an avid reader or anything remotely like that. In fact I don't read at all (well not books anyway), which I know sounds a little odd.

I've never really been interested in reading books. Of course in my youth I read the obligatory Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe series, and stuff for my 'O' levels in English Lit. But never really became inspired.

So why am I here?

Well, a couple of years ago, I started writing a short story about something I was interested in at the time. (Ghosthunting). I ended up with, not so much a short story, but actually a quite long story. I'd never attempted anything like it previously (apart from school essays), and indeed nothing since. Yes I know it's not perfect, and I expect it (when I hopefully upload it) to be quite seriously 'panned'. But I'm hoping someone will see a glimmer of hope in it, and of course now being into October, it's actually quite topical (Halloween).

Regards

Pete

Fraggledance, PeteMorris, get your stuff up on here! I'll find time to read it, and whilst I'm no professional critic, at least it gives you the experience of sharing your work.

Looking forward to it.

Andy

Now there's a thing. You've both beaten me to it. Watch your threads.

Hahahaha...De batz (Andy)! Thank you for your words of encouragement anyway. Happy Ghosthunting!

Pete

Hello! I've been a writer since I was old enough to put together words. I write mystery/suspense short stories and Young Adult novels. My fiction hasn't yet been published in print, although I've had a short suspense story published online and won an honorable mention in a national contest. I also spent several years writing a column on animal rescue for a local monthly magazine. I've also dabbled in fan fiction, which is a lot of fun. I'm also a huge fan of rock music, especially 1980s and classic rock. The evidence of that passion often shows up in my writing.

I look forward to getting to know everyone and their work!