The Writers' Group introduction thread.

Good luck Ian with your submission as described in yesterday's blog entry. I'm a fan of Orwell too, so don't hesitate to write more about him in future entries - writing for us all to aspire to!

Lady A

Thanks for wishing me good luck. I'm not holding my breath, and maintain a very positive view of potentially receiving my first rejection slip!

I'm so glad that you are also an Orwell fan. I'm just reading Coming Up For Air again, prior to reviewing it in Beyond 1984. What an utterly atmospheric novel it is. Much better at the second reading. The power of Orwell's prose just makes one gasp sometimes. I cannot imagine what he would have gone on to create, had he not died so relatively young. Just his use of the term 'bombing planes' instead of bombers, introduces such sinister and profound undertones.

A master indeed!

IR

Evening all.

I'm an amateur writer, attempting to elevate my work above the amateurish. I'm not a committed, all-or-nothing 'I must get my novel published' sort, but I would welcome some feedback on the stuff I'm working on at the moment. I'll put it up for consideration at some point and would like to get into offering a reader's perspective on other people's work.

Anyway, just thought I'd say hello. Will be back on soon, hopefully having read some of your work!

Andy

Hello, my name is Pip Morgan, I am a published writer and poet. That sounds fantastic doesn't it! just before you go getting too excited though, I have only had two pieces of work published. One of which was for a competition that I won on the internet with a website called wordsundone.com. The other was another competition win and this time it was a poetry competition called poppy fields. I have been accepted to have my work published in an anthology of poetry and the proceeds of the book go to the British Legion for all the hard work that they do. Anyway, that is enough about me, I hope to speak to you all again soon.

Pip Morgan

Mistakes are correctable errors.

Hi.

I know I've already done an intro on this thread but that was at least 2 years ago (it was 2 years last Wednesday since I was originally exiled), my stories are a mix of sci-fi and made up wrestling commentaries, you might remember my version of War of the Worlds set in Sheffield, I remember putting a lot of effort into that one.

Hi.

I know I've already done an intro on this thread but that was at least 2 years ago (it was 2 years last Wednesday since I was originally exiled), my stories are a mix of sci-fi and made up wrestling commentaries, you might remember my version of War of the Worlds set in Sheffield, I remember putting a lot of effort into that one.

War of the Worlds set in Sheffield (would it be called War of Da Worlds?) sounds awesome, is it posted?

War of the Worlds set in Sheffield (would it be called War of Da Worlds?) sounds awesome, is it posted?

Yeah it's posted, search the archives on here for it.

Hello all,

Well I'm here because I love to write, I've written quite a bit of fiction, both fantasy, Science fiction, Dark Fiction and even (yes I admit it openly) Fan Fiction. I'm a current member of the Sheffield Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers group (we are only a small band as yet) and as much as love them all I'd like to give other groups and minds a look at what I do.

My husband always says to me, your brother's got the money, your sisters gift is the artistic eye she's got and you've got the words to wrap the world up in for those of us who can't see it. I'd like to have a go at the challenges on here and have a go at short fic writing as I tend to have trouble stopping a flow when it gets going.

Well thanks for having me so far and I hope to be a contributing member very soon.

Hello Hare,

It sounds like your husband has a way with words too. Get him on here. :D

Welcome to the group. :)

I'd definitely recommend having a go at the word-limited challenges. There's something tricky about writing down to a word limit, especially if, like me, you suffer from prolixity.

I set myself the challenge in writing a novel - [shameless plug alert] the first chapter of which is a few notches down the board from this thread - of writing in strict-ish 3000 word chapters, and I've not done too badly with the sixteen so far. Having said that, there are occasions when two events mix in a chapter and they're not strictly single pieces, and I don't know if an editor might split them up.

I also set myself the challenge of writing in the opposite way to the short fictions I have written, where the details are all carried by structured sentences and the ideas cover a paragraph. I wanted to do something where each sentence counted somehow. I find that in doing so I encounter the problem that I have a limited vocabulary of sufficiently strong verbs to write without peppering the piece with adverbs, all of which leads to a more careful consideration of the sentences. I don't want to rely on description to carry the plot, and as such I have tried to put the emotional resonances in the visual images, rather than by accessing the characters' inner states. As with the Aleph short, I'm not sure I'm good enough to get it working.

I have found that my writing has improved immeasurably since I started writing with not only a plan for the story but a plan for the writing: a strategic goal of telling such-and-such tale, but a tactical goal of doing it by the route I have mentioned. Again, I don't know if it works, but it's worth a try for anyone trying to establish a rhythm. I would change that style - substantially - if I started writing another novel, but I've planned a hundred or so chapters of this one!

All of which makes me sound like I know what I'm doing, which I don't. It's just a set of suggestions, which may or may not be useful to you.

Andy

Hi, there! I'm new to the SF Writers Group, although not to the Forum as a whole. I'm currently writing a gay comedy thriller, which is a mixture of detective story, ancient mystery quest, alternate history, spy thriller, Sci-Fi, urban drama, love story, trashy celebrity romp, but above all, a rip-roaring Comedy. I will soon have more details up on one of my websites about the work, which is taking shape nicely, and something like one-fifth of the way through.

More will be revealed in good time, but for now, I'd welcome suggestions as to the best publishers/agents to approach. Among the famous authors which my work may be catgegorised with, are the likes of Terry Pratchet, Ben Elton, Stephen Fry, the Irish author Ross O'Carroll-Kelly, and many more, although all these will be only approximate comparisons to my style.