The Writers' Group introduction thread.

When first at school I was a little behind ( unfortunately my rear end grew in time) in my reading and found it highly embarrassing having to read in front of the whole class. Eventually I did improve and what was once a nightmare I slowly began to enjoy turning the pages and remember the first book I actually got excited about reading which was Peter Pan. Reading in the bath was a new thing and trying to read, turn the pages, not get them wet and having a wash was exhausting in itself but hey ho that was the turning point.I mean enjoying a book not the bathtime!

Now at the age of 35( by the way my name is Amanda)I enjoy books that make me laugh, cry, giggle,scare me and intrigue me to keep turning those pages, sometimes all in the same read and it's a joy.

I first started trying to put pen to paper ooooo well as a little girl I would always keep a diary but then when I went travelling around Australia for 6 months with my partner I decided to keep a journal of our adventures as felt that if I didn't write as the moment took me then I would never re-capture that feeling that we experienced.

I now look back at those memories wrote on the worn pages and giggle at the lines I wrote ( and the spelling mistakes) and glad I did. It was well worth it. At the time my partner would say what on earth are you writing, I think he was amused at such drival I would churn out and the amount of pens that I run the ink dry.

Holiday journals have now turned into various paths that my life has taken and I still enjoy adding to these. Whether I would share these with anyone is another story as currently they are for my eyes only ( mainly due to the fact I tend to talk alot too so people that know me know doubt don't want to read about it too!) on thoughts, feelings etc etc but all enjoyable to write.I think I am too shy to share and get others thoughts but feedback I am sure is helpful. I just have to take the plunge.

I look forward to being a member of the writers forum and being entertained and coming out of my shell.

Thanks for reading,

Amanda :0)

Hi there. Just thought I'd pop in to say "hi"! As a teenager (many years ago now) I always wanted to be an angry poet or writer a la Jack Kerouac. Indeed I was an angry young writer a la jack Kerouac, I just wasn't very good.

Since then I have constantly wrote, but have never had more than polite reject notes from publishers and agents. Ah well...

Anyway, now I'm married with two young kids I don't seem to be able to find the time to write like I used to. I'm hopng that by joining this group it will spur me on to produce some more work.

And in case anyone is worried, I no longer attempt to write in the style of a beat poet. :cool: Bim-badda-bim baby!

Hi, can't wait to start reading all your stories (haven't recieved my password yet :( ) i don't think i'll be submitting anything for awhile but will try to eventually!!

I've always been a big reader, i love reading. Always have done since i was little. I like crime types like Martina Cole, Harry Potter, some chick lit ('Can you keep a secret? by Sophie Kinsella brought me round to 'chick lit'), autobiogs although this is more recent so haven't read many. I like Dan Brown books (don't shoot me :P ) and then the types that you cant just put in a genre if you know what i mean. Only thing is i haven't read a book in ages :o:( been too busy and if i have free time i tend to spend it knitting now instead of reading, must address the balance abit soon i've got a few books on the bookcase that haven't been read yet...

Hi all,

Like almost everyone else on here, I was taught to read by my mother before I went to school. I got a library ticket before I was 5, this was unheard of at the time and the childrens librarian insisted I read aloud before allowing me the privilege.

I would read anything I could lay my hands on, cereal packets, the lot. If it had the printed word, then I read it. Got me into trouble at home when mum wanted an errand running. Now I work in a library and only read on holiday, but I can look at maps forever, wondering at strange placenames.

My bookshelves are groaning with recipe books, plus a few gardening, photography, wildlife and travel books.

Well, that's me.

So, can I introduce myself here if I'm not yet eligible for the "exclusive" writers membership? This is my very first post on the forum. Hopefully, I'll be on the list soon.

Anyway, hi all.

I stumbled across a mention of this writers group somewhere, and I thought I'd give it a try. I used to attend a face-to-face group in Sheffield, but it got to the stage where only a couple of people were turning up, and they weren't writing much...

I enjoy giving and receiving feedback with other writers, so I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys.

I'm currently working on my second novel - which is pretty optimistic seeing as every agent and publisher in the country seems to want to turn down my first one...

Welcome to the forum darren_sco, and welcome also to the Writer's Group. :thumbsup:

Hello darren_sco, thank you for your post here. Welcome to the Writing Group, and indeed Sheffield Forum too. :)

When your post count reaches 15 please contact either myself or Mantaspook and we will arrange for you you to receive your unique password for access to see the iyems uploaded onto the WG Special Server.

In the meanwhile you may find some threads on the general section of this Group which may be of interest to you.

ma-ka-di-ni?(that's shona-a language spoken in zimbabwe-for 'how are you?') just turned twenty eight by the way. was my birthday on the 24th. unlike most people-the ones i know-i began writing before i got into reading. my mom would read me all kinds of books-frankenstein as a bedtime story when i was six- but for some reason i would remember atotally different story and would always write it down to show her. for years she belived i was cheating on her with another mum who read me all these wierd stories. but anyway you grow up and the world moves into your head. places where people who can fly, cars that go at the speed of light, forests with trees that talk and dance suddenly become inhabited by abstact theories, equations, lies herd and promises broken and before you know it you're this kid working on having 'a real career' and 'with a good head on their shoulder'. stopped writing and started reading someone else's work. stopped dreaming. but-.****, sorry, i really am pretty cheerful if you see me. anyway, that's it. i'm Ras Kaimani Kalonji.

Thanks for the welcome folks. I'm going to have a good browse around the threads, and hopefully contribute something that won't bore you all senseless...

As seems with most people my love of reading started from an early age and has not abated since.

What do I like to read?

At the moment I have several books on the go, ( I always have)

A year with Thomas Merton ( Thomas Merton )

Seven Story Mountain ( Thomas Merton)

Status Anxiety ( Alain De Botton )

Sins of the fathers ( Lawrence Block )

I like crime, particularly Lawrence Block, whom I found purely by chance in a mobile library. Conan Doyle and all the Holmes stories. Biography, have just finished slogging my way through the biography of Winston Churchill the war years. Comedy, Garrison Keillor and Lake Wobegon is a favourite, Around Ireland with Fridge by Tony Hawks has been the most recent. Travel, The First 50 by Muriel Grey, a book about climbing the first 50 Monroes by a women you wouldn't expect to be doing it. I have climbed 1/2 a Monroe to present. My company installs expensive bathrooms so it gives me pleny of time to let my mind wander. In the comapny we have a plasterer who is a 26 year old single mum, who has cage boxing as a past time, shes also the best plasterer in sheffield. An electrician who is an ex priest. A recovering alcoholic who hasn't touched a drop for 19 years. a Lesbian Plumber who is a great singer and a rabid anti gay, anti anything other than white 60 year old joiner who will do anything for anybody. If there isn't a story in there I'm dead from the neck up.

So thats me, oh Im a plumber also and Im married to one of the worlds top metalsmiths, who has also just done the new York marathon.

Paul

Paul,

If you write a story with that bunch of characters in it... I want to read it!

To be part of this Group really is a pure pleasure. The Members, both old and new really are making it worthwhile.:)

Thank you to all of you. :thumbsup::)