Sign in to follow this  

Destruction of Charter Row

Originally posted by "maxt"

Why don't you stand up and ask the council? Go along to your local councillor's surgery, write to the town hall or even speak to your MP?

I would go this Saturday but I'm going to watch pigs fly over the cathedral instead. On Sunday I'm going to the park to see a camel pass through the eye of a needle...

Originally posted by "geoffbowen"

What the hell are the council doing to Charter Row?

They are wasting good money which would be better spent on re-surfacing most of Sheffield's other roads. When is someone going to stand up and ask where all the council tax money allocated for roads has gone?! :?

Actually when the LibDems had their brief period in office, they resurfaced vastly more than the previous Labour bunch (e.g Cemetry road, Silverdale/Millhouses Road (or thereabouts) - still not enough though. And why waste our money on speed bumps? the neglected pot-holed roads were a far more effective "traffic calming" measure.

There will be a new mini-interchange for buses on Charter Row, ensuring easy access into the city centre by public transport. New, high quality multi-storey car parking is included as part of the proposals, located next to the new John Lewis store. This will provide approximately 2,000 spaces.

Oversized roads such as Furnival Gate and Charter Row will be reduced in width and traffic will be managed to provide an improved pedestrian environment

Makes sense to me.

Originally posted by "geoffbowen"

Why don't you stand up and ask the council? Go along to your local councillor's surgery, write to the town hall or even speak to your MP?

I would go this Saturday but I'm going to watch pigs fly over the cathedral instead. On Sunday I'm going to the park to see a camel pass through the eye of a needle...

Well that makes sense.

Originally posted by "maxt"

Well that makes sense.

I responded to a request from Jan Wilson to write to her about the Heart of the City developments. I find Geoff's message above quite understandable considering the e-mail 'conversation' I had with Wilson (which was a complete waste of time as she skirted round every question I had).

I am in favour of the modifications to Charter Row though. The dual carriageways round the city prevent the city centre from developing as they're a barrier to people trying to walk round. The road closures taking place are only temporary - as I understand it the new road will actually improve the ability to turn into the roads coming off Charter Row.

Well done Chris. There you go Geoff, people can and do ask the council questions rather than expecting someone else to do it for them.