Can someone help me out please?

I have been trying to organise a sponsered dog walk for a local animal charity for a while but struggling to find a suitable route as I tend to horseride places not walk. Could someone please suggest a decent route? The route has to have the following criteria:

Be approx 5 miles long,

Not toooo hilly, ie up Porter Clough would be a no-no

No massive stiles

Not too much road (and preferably no main road)

Preferably a car park at beginning

Preferably no open fields with lifestock in

It is hopefully going to be around Easter this year. I was thinking around Wymingbrook, but as I only ride down there and have to turn around when I get to the damm, keep meaning to take the dog down but haven't got round to it. Is there a round route? Or can anyone suggest a decent round route?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I don't know Wymingbrook Jess. Are you only interested in that area, or would other areas of town work?

Maybe some of our dog-owning walkers can help out!

Well there’s this walk Wyming Brook but I wouldn’t recommend taking a pack of dogs up the brook section as it is quite steep and slippery and has lots of fallen trees crossing the path etc.

Why not try the Rivelin Valley Nature trail further down the valley?– Plenty of car parking at first dam (or the Malin Bridge tram terminus if pushed). Accessible by public transport, you only have to cross two roads (Hollins Lane & Rivelin Valley road at the S bends)

Its approximately 2.5 miles to the post office so a five mile round trip, fairly flat and plenty of streams for the dogs to splash around in and on the way back there is a café by the playground or “The Hollybush” pub with a large outdoor area at the back to have a drink.

Rivelin is a good idea. Nice and safe for those who want doggles of lead. Is a nice interesting walk that doesn't require great fitness or effort and fairly easy to get to.

Car park near Bridge Inn at Ford and plenty of walking thereabouts; usually free of livestock if you head towards & into Eckington Woods then up to Plumley - take path nr. new housing estate then tracks back down to Ford.

Also car parks in Linacre Woods & plenty livestock free walking there to make the normal Linacre walk longer.

Good Luck!

Thanks so much. I hadn't thought about Rivelin but seems like a perfect option. Looks like this might be the best route! :thumbsup: