Old Sheff bands of the 80's +90's

Hi Grappler,

don't think i was at that one, but i'll keep my eye out for them in future.

The only problem with your kid's doing all this stuff is that it reminds you of how much you actually enjoyed it, which is no good when you're 45 and probably a worse musician than you used to be. (I am speaking for myself here.)

cheers

paul

Don't believe it.. get yerself back in a band young Crofts, you gotta be 2 years younger than I am anyway...

My sis recently completed her MSc with one from Pulp. Dunno who.

Oooh also, I used to work for BA and had Martyn Fry on a flt, I upgraded him to Club(busines class) and he was as obnoxious as hell.

Having said that the drummer from Arctic Monkeys was in Pizza Express and he was happy to have a chat wi my nephew. STAR!!

I'd forgotten that the Top Rank (Roxy's) had once been named Steeley's. Can anyone recall what period this was?

Not exactly Sheffield bands, but I did go to see U2 at the Limit, and The Jam's farewell concert at Steeley's (Top Rank), god that was some gig.

Used to see the Human League girls dancing around in the Crazy Daisy also, in fact I saw one of them recently in Sainsbury's at Archer Rd.

Funny old world isnt it, should have said to her Don't you want me baby......intead of those beans!!

Can anyone remember John o Haras Playboys????

Yes. They almost made it very big. John is back working the pub circuit in Sheffield but, sadly, he's past his best.

Yes. They almost made it very big. John is back working the pub circuit in Sheffield but, sadly, he's past his best.

Not seen him 4 years, was a friend of my dads he used to take me to see him all the time!!!!!!!! not fun when ur 8 yrs old. He will be getting on a bit now wont he:)

I have recently been looking online for information about Vision,(I have vinyl records"Lucifers Friend" etc)the played at Saturdays(Roxy's) & the singer's wife had a retro clothes shop just about Sportsman pub Charles Street.Does anyone remember Radiation??Worked Pubs & WMC's.Bowie influence & make-up!! I remember Martin Fry & co(ABC) in the Limit on a regular basis before they became household names in the 80's.Glenn Gregory also used to go in Bellhouse WMC to have the odd pint.

I remember Radiation, I just got my girlfriend to come online and look for anything about them and she came across this forum, I used to drag my mates all over to see them and they hated it, lol.

Was the clothes shop you mentioned X clothes? I used to go in there a lot too.

hi the singer with eat dont hula has a pub, forest on rutland road sings,very good night out saturdays

I used to work with Gary in the early 90's. I must visit the Forest to see if he is still there. We had some great times and went to see Eat Dont Hula on may occasion it was sad when they split.

Interesting to read some of the posts as I was in one of the bands mentioned. I was the lead singer of TSI-TSA and probably need to correct a couple of misconceptions. TSI-TSA were martin Whitham on drums, Jonathon Wills on Bass, Mick Hercun on guitar, Dingo (Robert Dowling) on vocals and Me - Michael "Daisy" Day on vocals. Later terations of the band such as the one that played at the Steeleys battle of the bands had Dingo replaced with Josie Robson who joined from ADSR international. the band members that were mentioned here as being TSI-TSA were actually members of Short Circuit, a short lived punk band that consisted of Dingo and Daisy on vocals, paul Beighton on Bass (Correct about dying young sadly in an industrial accident), Richard Anderson on guitar and Mick Miller on drums.

So after all that here is what happened to some of those people:

Mick hercun went on to tour with the ComSat Angels I believe (Kevin Bacon the CS Angels bassist produced a demo for Tsi-TSa recorded in 1982 or 83)

Jonathon Wills plays Bass in a punk cover band called the punkadelics, Richard Anderson played with Mrs. Beech and later with Vitamin Z, Josie went on to become a professor and now introduces and helps women get jobs in the music industry (not sure if I got that totally right). I moved to America and now my two sons are in a band called Blind Issues playing punk music - enough to amke an old man proud. I have MP3s of Tsi-Tsa and Mrs Beech and the pencil strpies and would be happy to share them if anyone wants me to. We have often talked about getting together for fun in Sheffield but Mick Hercun apparently wats to forget that part of his life. I do occasionally play the odd TSI-TSA number with my boys in the garage and it brings a tear to my eye.

Sheffield at that time had a ton of great bands most of whom were also good people and you could always rely on a good crowd at the hallamshire or any of a million places that would allow bands to play. feel free to drop me a line, especially if I know you.

BTW the lead singer of Mirror cracked was Rick Baines and the Martin Lilleker book "beats working for a living" does a pretty good job of describing the scene, the characters and has some of the music from these times.

Daisy

I used to go and see loads of bands in the 80s.

to see the local up and coming talent, The best used to be the battle of the bands at Steeleys.

Sharp Cuts - these are still going but not the full original line, they used to busk on Fargate, I hear they are planning a 25Th year bash at the city hall

Snap 14 - Not sure what happened to these

Many more but I can not remember the names, any body remember these bands???

Remember the sharp cuts well, used to see them at Leadmill and uni

bar circa 1984 ish