Old Sheff bands of the 80's +90's

Does anyone remember a band called Eat don't Hula. Vaguely remember meeting the lead singer when i was in my teens but never actually heard them play.

Cath x

I know the lead singer of Eat Don't Hula and I think my cousin was their bass player. My cousin was also in another band called Trebound Story who made a bit of a local name for themselves, too. My brother/cousin and their mates knew Richard Hawley well, too. They all used to hang around together.

What about Blammo! ?

Yes, I remember Blammo and also Various Vegetables and Illogic. What happened to them?

Yes, I remember Blammo and also Various Vegetables and Illogic. What happened to them?

jody wildgoose from various veggies is on his second album no...ive got the first, about to buy the second (thanks to people on here for pointing me in his direction :) )

i saw illogic quite a few times round sheffield, never saw blammo i dont think, but i remember the name

Anyone remember the truly awful Freekspert or Martia Wray?

The lead singer from Freekspert was a complete and utter n_b.

The singer from Freekspert was called Barry and went out with a sheffield lass who was on that model behaviour programme on channel 4 a few years ago. I agree with your sentiments about him too, Agent ****, although whenever I saw him (years ago) out and about in town, he clearly thought he was the dogs b*******!

shameless plug for my mate jody (who i was in the various vegetables with). listen to his stuff here...

http://www.myspace.com/jodywildgoose

and here...

http://www.jodywildgoose.co.uk

blammo did a tour with the Beautiful South in the early 90s if i remember correctly - connection made on the terraces (the respective lead singers were both rabid blades). i think phil (blammo singer) returned to being an architect or something similarly s****y, and sooty (Richard Sutcliffe) the guitarist was last seen by a mate of mine at a bus stop in London - Sooty where are you?

Anyone remember the truly awful Freekspert or Martia Wray?

The lead singer from Freekspert was a complete and utter n_b.

A few of freekspert are reborn in sukmunki....http://www.myspace.com/sukmunkimusic

sounds good to me, but i like a lot of rock music

The singer from Freekspert was called Barry and went out with a sheffield lass who was on that model behaviour programme on channel 4 a few years ago. I agree with your sentiments about him too, Agent ****, although whenever I saw him (years ago) out and about in town, he clearly thought he was the dogs b*******!

I've known Barry since he was 15. He's a nice guy underneath the facade, and Freakspert were OK, I thought.

I used to play bass in Rough Copy, I remember being in the same heat as Snap 14 at the Top Rank suite. Hi to you Paul, did we do a gig with you guys at The Limit later?

Hi Pinhead (Mark?)

I think we only ever played together at the Top Rank. Pity. I actually bumped into Pete a couple of years later and put a bit of guitar onto a couple of songs he was recording, but nothing ever came of it. Nice to see you're still playing, although you're obviously no good at plugging your band as you didn't actually mention their name. What are they called? I'll try and get to see you.

I'm living the old days over again as my son is currently in a couple of bands - Church of the Holy Dollar (on guitar) and The Strangers (on drums) - so i'm carrying equipment and attending gigs in scruffy pubs. The big difference now is that i'm driving and can't have a drink! Still, better than staying at home watching telly.

Might see you soon

Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes its Mark. You are right about Top Rank and The Limit now come to think of it. I know I'm going to sound a right old duffer here but they were really great times then. Loads of bands all with a great diversity of styles and a genuine mutual appreciation for each other's work.

The band is Protex Blue and yes the plugging issue is in a nutshell one of the reasons I still have to work for a living;-). We play covers of all the OLD punk songs. No gigs planned at the moment.

My son plays bass and although he has only done one gig he has the bug and is looking forward to the next one.

PM me when you are next roadieing (is there such a verb) for you son with venue and date.

I think I saw Bear Cage at the Hallamshire in the early 90's.