Old Sheff bands of the 80's +90's

Hi Paul - long time etc! You're my all-time hero - remember the top rank final where your guys came 3rd, my band (Silent Runnng) 2nd and Sharp ruddy Cuts came 1st? You were so ****** off on our behalf you threw your "bronze" disk across the stage!

Hi Nick. Wrong on three counts

Actually we didn't come third, although i can't remember who did; it was the judges enclosure not the stage; and Norton Lees is someone else. As you well know. Imposter! Too much repetitive guitar noodling is obviously bad for you.

But you're right about the result. Silent Running were far and away the best band in the contest and should have won.

As for Mp3's. what have you got? I'd particularly like to hear all the Silent Running stuff. I'll have to come to the next Betty Black gig and have a chat about it.

Paul

i remember it well ish.......my band came 3rd....the zyclones...

it was one of the dougie bros who i think threw the disc.....

I remember that battle of the bands thing... you woz all robbed! I remember Silent Running with those tiny tiny Wasp synth things and Tina Splash with her keyboard on an ironing board (hehehehe)... and borrowing my old old HH amp I think as well. Is my memory right there Paul?

Richard

I remember that battle of the bands thing... you woz all robbed! I remember Silent Running with those tiny tiny Wasp synth things and Tina Splash with her keyboard on an ironing board (hehehehe)... and borrowing my old old HH amp I think as well. Is my memory right there Paul?

Richard

Er, not quite. Silent running didn't have a Wasp (I think - NIck might correct me on that), and the amp i borrowed was Simon's AC30, but it WAS an ironing board. And a second hand one at that. Didn't have enough money for the split-level Rick Wakeman signature model ironing board.

I thought the final was at the City Hall, or am I thinking of another year? what year was it 82????

Sharp Cuts

Zyclones

Silent Running

Snap 14

I remember them all

I used to work with the keyboardist out of person to person, Dave Clayton, He went on to be in simply red and produced some albums for other groups Depeche Mode being one of them.

Hi Mikey,

the City Hall thing was the final of the Limit Club battle of the bands, which i think was won by a band called Bamboo.

Norton Lees is someone else.

As for Mp3's. what have you got?

I live in Norton lees - he's very accomodating. I do his website as well (http://www.nortonlees.com - double bass for hire ;)

What haven't I got? I'm a music archivist and never threw anything away. I recently made contact with Elaine from my Red Zoo days & have started assembling our demos/45s etc - even found 3 acetates - which won't mean a lot to any youngsters out there ;)

BTW, we DID have a wasp - Dale played it. Since you took over guitar in the band when I left, I'd have thought you'd rememebr that ;)

BTW, we DID have a wasp - Dale played it. Since you took over guitar in the band when I left, I'd have thought you'd rememebr that ;)

Yayyy Wasp, see I knew my memory wasn't that faulty.

I'm a music archivist and never threw anything away.

I remember your house from a party some years ago, and unless your TV appearance prompted a change of lifestyle, i can't see why you needed to add the music archivist bit to that sentence.

I don't remember Dale having a Wasp. I think he must have sold it (hang on while i get my anorak here) to buy his Sequential Circuits Pro One.

Hang on!

Sudden flash of memory.

He did have a Wasp! and one of those Spider sequencer things they made to go with 'em.

Jesus. Memory problems at 45. I blame Joshua Tetley.

I remember your house from a party some years ago, and unless your TV appearance prompted a change of lifestyle,

Which it didn't - I hid all the good stuff in the attic ;)