Old Sheff bands of the 80's +90's

Interesting to read some of the posts as I was in one of the bands mentioned. I was the lead singer of TSI-TSA and probably need to correct a couple of misconceptions. TSI-TSA were martin Whitham on drums, Jonathon Wills on Bass, Mick Hercun on guitar, Dingo (Robert Dowling) on vocals and Me - Michael "Daisy" Day on vocals. Later terations of the band such as the one that played at the Steeleys battle of the bands had Dingo replaced with Josie Robson who joined from ADSR international. the band members that were mentioned here as being TSI-TSA were actually members of Short Circuit, a short lived punk band that consisted of Dingo and Daisy on vocals, paul Beighton on Bass (Correct about dying young sadly in an industrial accident), Richard Anderson on guitar and Mick Miller on drums.

So after all that here is what happened to some of those people:

Mick hercun went on to tour with the ComSat Angels I believe (Kevin Bacon the CS Angels bassist produced a demo for Tsi-TSa recorded in 1982 or 83)

Jonathon Wills plays Bass in a punk cover band called the punkadelics, Richard Anderson played with Mrs. Beech and later with Vitamin Z, Josie went on to become a professor and now introduces and helps women get jobs in the music industry (not sure if I got that totally right). I moved to America and now my two sons are in a band called Blind Issues playing punk music - enough to amke an old man proud. I have MP3s of Tsi-Tsa and Mrs Beech and the pencil strpies and would be happy to share them if anyone wants me to. We have often talked about getting together for fun in Sheffield but Mick Hercun apparently wats to forget that part of his life. I do occasionally play the odd TSI-TSA number with my boys in the garage and it brings a tear to my eye.

Sheffield at that time had a ton of great bands most of whom were also good people and you could always rely on a good crowd at the hallamshire or any of a million places that would allow bands to play. feel free to drop me a line, especially if I know you.

BTW the lead singer of Mirror cracked was Rick Baines and the Martin Lilleker book "beats working for a living" does a pretty good job of describing the scene, the characters and has some of the music from these times.

Daisy

Hiya Daisy, of course you are right, it was Short Circuit I was thinking of with Becky and Mick Miller, you all practised at the Church hall near Richard Andersons house. I always regret not buying Richard Andersons 50 watt HH amp off him when I had the chance. So you ended up in the USA, nice one mate. Both my son and daughter have played in bands, my daughter was in Pretty Young Things and supported a few chart big names over here before they folded to go off to Uni. My son is in the Pickups (http://www.myspace.com/thepickupssheffield) and plays lead guitar and sings. Now, I think you should mention "that" record sleeve you appeared on....!!! take care mate.

Grappler appears to know me better than I thought and "that" record sleeve was for an icelandic band called fraebbblarnir who released a single caled false death backed with a punk version of Summer nights from grease (called Summer Knights. I bared all literally for this particular cause and if you google the band you will find my picture on their website. Interesting side note but I actually contacted them a couple of years ago and they never had any idea who's rear was on the front cover but were interested to find out and caught the relationship between the flower on the front cover, my name and the term Daisy Chained which was scratched on the vinyl run off at the end of the record.

Grappler appears to know me better than I thought and "that" record sleeve was for an icelandic band called fraebbblarnir who released a single caled false death backed with a punk version of Summer nights from grease (called Summer Knights. I bared all literally for this particular cause and if you google the band you will find my picture on their website. Interesting side note but I actually contacted them a couple of years ago and they never had any idea who's rear was on the front cover but were interested to find out and caught the relationship between the flower on the front cover, my name and the term Daisy Chained which was scratched on the vinyl run off at the end of the record.

White vinyl if I remember correctly? Wasn't it called True Death/False Death? and Summer Nights was hilarious! We all knew it was you, the "Daisy Chain" gave it away.....ah, happy days mate, I will wager that the picture was taken at 107 Whitham Road.......you have mail, Daisy.

I have MP3s of Tsi-Tsa and Mrs Beech and the pencil strpies and would be happy to share them if anyone wants me to.

Hi Daisy.

I'd love to hear these if you don't mind e-mailing them.

My address is pcrofts27@hotmail.co.uk

At some point I'll get the old Splash/Snap 14 recordings transferred and return the compliment. Also I now have several Mirror Crack'd tracks if you want those.

cheers

Paul

I still have the Snap 14 demo tape somewhere.

Think the tracks were.

First time

we can get it right if we try.

If somemone wants to turn it into a MP3 then let me know, as I dont have a tape player anymore.

I still have the Snap 14 demo tape somewhere.

Think the tracks were.

First time

we can get it right if we try.

If somemone wants to turn it into a MP3 then let me know, as I dont have a tape player anymore.

Hi Mikey.

Plus - Please Don't Ask Me Why and Star Sign.

Nice to know someone kept a copy. They cost us around £1.50 each back in 1983. Back when money was money etc etc etc

I'll be in touch as soon as i've converted it.

paul

Some of the guys from Radiation were buddies of mine back then. The drummer went on to play with (among others) Jimmy James and the Vagabonds and the bass player went to live in South Africa.

ha this is weird...i came on looking for stuff on radiation to show my boyfriend, as the bass player(Alec)is my dad, and the drummer(Chris) is my uncle. I must point out that my dad also played with jimmy, and that he's back here in S.A. and doing well, after moving back to sheffield for 12 years. My uncle Chris is living in Spain now, and the other Broadhead brother, Andrew is still living in Woodseats.

Hey Up Sweetcheeks,

I remember the Harbourkings when they were The Untouchables doing Heartbreakers and New York Dolls covers. They were a three peice but were very powerful aswell as tight. I did have a chance to join them and for the life of me don't know why I didn't as they were a great band and I regret it to this day. I don't own copies of their releases but I have heard them and they are very good. It would be great to see them play a one off or whatever and possibly throw in some of those Johnny Thunders covers.

cheers for the comments sweetcheeks and pinhead(were you also known as "crob" or summat?) think i remember you, ginger bass player? anyway yeah we are all still around and living in ****field, as the replacements called it when we played with them !, we dont really see much of each other now so as far as a reunion goes i'm not holding my breath but who knows? i'm still playing my johnny thunders les paul T.V. and pouting with attitude, i aint lost it, off to see the only ones in manchester next week so if peter perret can still stand up maybe theres hope for us all. see ya

cheers for the comments sweetcheeks and pinhead(were you also known as "crob" or summat?) think i remember you, ginger bass player? anyway yeah we are all still around and living in ****field, as the replacements called it when we played with them !, we dont really see much of each other now so as far as a reunion goes i'm not holding my breath but who knows? i'm still playing my johnny thunders les paul T.V. and pouting with attitude, i aint lost it, off to see the only ones in manchester next week so if peter perret can still stand up maybe theres hope for us all. see ya

Hi rob,

Yes thats me mate, was still playing until a couple of years ago. Still got the Gibson Thunderbird and Fender Jazz. I saw Tommy play a few weeks ago, hes still at it! Pity you guys can't do a one off, played LAMF last week and it brought back memories of you guys. I see Tim in town from time to time and he reckons that you hardly see each other. He gets a mention in the new Strummer book. Does your Ian still play? Are you in a band or like me do you pout to the mirror? I plan to go to Nottingham to see the Only Ones on the 5th June.

Cheers

Pinhead

Hi Paul - long time etc! You're my all-time hero - remember the top rank final where your guys came 3rd, my band (Silent Runnng) 2nd and Sharp ruddy Cuts came 1st? You were so ****** off on our behalf you threw your "bronze" disk across the stage! They were fun, of course, but one judge apparently gave them 10/10 for "originality" and they played a set of covers. Our set was all originals.. The money & prestige meant nowt, of course, but being seen as less musical value than the Sharp Cuts - I nearly topped myself ;)

Does anyone have any MP3s of any bands from this time? Such as - Rough Copy, Silent Running, Alice Goes Pop, Ton Ton Macoute, Mrs Beech & The Heretics, YahBoo, The Mirror Crack'd, Toy Shop, Maison Rouge, Tsi-Tsa.

Weird - I've been going through my old cassettes, droppnig the stuff I remember fondly onto computer, currently rippng a Ton Ton Macoute demo "worlds of sand" and idly decided to google for them, hence this thread. I've got shed loads of archive stuff from my "glory days" with Dig Vis Drill, Red Zoo , SIlent Running etc, demos of mirror crackd, maison rouge & loads of singles by bands like vision, toyshop - I used to buy them in charity shops for 10p, just cos they came from Sheffield.

Would love to do a CD or website of mp3s, but there's always copyright to consider I suppose.

Fascinating thread this - so many fond memories!