Meadowhall is a disaster!!

No, Meadowhall is a huge indoor shopping complex.

There are quite a lot of ethnic minorities in Sheffield, I think it's rather unfair to say asylum seekers, as I don't know wether or not they are asylum seekers. Most of them are ok, as long as you know the areas to stay away from.

That's nowt!

Sheffield city centre has three £1 discount stores!

I rarely go shop in the Sheffield city centre because it's a damn nightmare if you got a car and I'm keen on the flexibility of individual transport. So I go to Meadowhall if I want to pop from one shop into another and don't mind the crowds or the high prices or I drive to a shop/retail complex which offers adequate and free parking.

Some shops in the city centre apparently try to accomodate folks like me, e.g. Hein Gericke near Fitzalan Square which offers a free parking scheme for customers with a nearby parking garage, but to find out anyone else doing something similar, you'd have to ask them all individually as there seems to be no central resource for this kinda of info available.

As a customer, I want things to be made easy for me. If you're not accomodating me, I'll go elsewhere and you can go out of business for all I care. Simple as that.

-Armin

Originally posted by Abdul

That's nowt!

Sheffield city centre has three £1 discount stores!

Soon to increase to four pound shops, sorry guys the shop I work at, 'Max Value' is changing into a 'Poundzone'.........Im' gutted.

Originally posted by 367squadron

Soon to increase to four pound shops, sorry guys the shop I work at, 'Max Value' is changing into a 'Poundzone'.........Im' gutted.

Is that the one across the road from that goth comic book shop? If so, I already included that one!

Is that the one across the road from that goth comic book shop? If so, I already included that one!

Yeh it's on Matilda Street and isn't a pound shop until the 1st of July. So really the total still stands at 3?

Didn't Max Value used to be a pound shop, when it first opened ages ago? I think it did, then started to include items priced higher than a quid.

For the sake of simplicity, I still class it as a one pound store ('cos most of the merchandise is a quid), so I count the total as three:

1) Max Value

2) Poundland on the Moor

3) And that other unfortunate effort a little further down the Moor that doesn't seem to be doing terribly well these days.

Who'd have thought Chavs would ever go upmarket :D

PS - when are you getting in some more of those Cararama model cars. You haven't had them for months! Err...a friend would like to know, you see... :blush:

I don't frequent Meadowhall that much but I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I hate it when people saying things should be closed down just because it doesn't fit in with what they want. Saying you don't like it for whatever reason is fine. It's your opinion, but to start saying things should be shutdown is making the city worse. If you don't like it, don't go. As it's been mentioned, it regenerated a run down part of the city and provides jobs and services to many. That can't be bad for Sheffield.

As for the guy who say's it's full of asylum seekers. Why don't you check the area out yourself. The people there might be genuine residents. Go meet and talk to them then you'll know if they are asylum seekers or not. By the way, the term 'asylum seeker' should not be a termed in a derogatory way. You don't know what these people do or how they have got here so judgement should be reserved until you get your facts right.

Sheffield city centre may not be a good as many neighbouring city centres but it's not bad either. Division Street is a good trendy area and the Peace/Winter gardens is a good start. Hopefully the re-generation of the John Lewis area etc. will be a big difference, but I might be collecting my pension by the time that's finished ?

Hey Armin ! Are you a biker by any chance ? If so, what gear you got ? I'm looking for good but cheap tight fitting 1 piece leathers.

Didn't Max Value used to be a pound shop, when it first opened ages ago? I think it did, then started to include items priced higher than a quid.

Yeh it did used to be a poundshop but now the management have decided that it made a lot more profit as a pound shop. I dont think, however, that they have taken into account that Poundland has opened in the centre and may effect the trade they were expecting to see............oh well, I think they would be better staying as they are but when we do change and make less profits I will be sayind 'I told you so'.

PS - when are you getting in some more of those Cararama model cars. You haven't had them for months! Err...a friend would like to know, you see... :blush:

LOL.... I dunno for sure but i would expect to see them on one of the many deliverys we will be having in the refit week.

So do you shop at Max Value?? What do ya think of the staff?? Are we helpful?

Originally posted by 367squadron

So do you shop at Max Value?? What do ya think of the staff?? Are we helpful?

I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me :blush:

But seriously, the staff are as polite, cheerful and helpful as any other store in Sheffield, and there's a couple of cute chicks working there ;)

Just tell your bosses to get some more of the Cararama model cars in soon :thumbsup:

Meadowhall was the creation of an unaccountable Urban Development Corporation who weren't concerned about the rest of the City. It's development was masively subsidised by the tax payer (hardly a level playing field for the city centre) And what a great idea to encourage shopping by car and from so far afield in the days of Global warming. The kids in Darnall have the highest incidence of Asthma in Sheffield and one of the highest in the UK. The proximity of the motorway is an obvious reason and Meadowhall is doing more than it's fair share to help in this.

As to the place itself, it's dry warm and clean but you have to have the mentality of a worker bee or ant to feel at home there...it's just like one big nest or hive. Horrible.

And what horrible acoustics....it's like being in the swimming baths.etc etc etc etc etc