Looking for a list of cinemas in 50s sheffield

My mum had a letter to my grandfather giving him notice of termination of employment by I think the walkley paladium. He played the piano for the silent movies. The new fangled talkies made the position redundant. 1929 I think, I don't think he worked again after that. Its like the old joke about being a programme seller at coronations.

I remember in the 1950s going to the Oxford at Upperthorpe to see the spoof western "Sheriff of Fractured Jaw" (Kenneth More, Jayne Mansfield). The Oxford was quite small - a converted chapel. Here's a photo: http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s08088

It later became Rodney Blagdens Garage

I remember in the 1950s going to the Oxford at Upperthorpe to see the spoof western "Sheriff of Fractured Jaw" (Kenneth More, Jayne Mansfield). The Oxford was quite small - a converted chapel. Here's a photo: http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s08088

I remember the Oxford at Upperthorpe and once it was the cause of great embarressment to me. Upperthorpe school had just beaten Morley street school at football and in the fifties the etiquette of the day was for the winning captain to call for three cheers for the losers and for the losing team captain to reciprocate. So Upperthorpes captain called three cheers for Morley street hip hip HOORAY hip hip HOORAY hip hip HOORAY and I replied three cheers for(but I had forgoten Upperthorpe's name and before I knew it I was blurting out) three cheers for OXFORD hip hip HOORAY hip hip HOORAY hip hip HOORAY,twenty one boy footballers and a referee were looking at me gon aht and I could feel myself going redder and redder, o'h the embarressment.

Has anyone memories of the old Pavilion cinema at Swallownest, which was managed by Allan Lax for many years until just before it closed. Do you remember any particular stories from the old days, or recall specific films? I would be interested to know if anyone can recall exactly when it ceased being a cinema. Also, there does not seem to be any photos of the Pavilion.

I notice that on the first page someone kindly mentioned my website with its photos and articles about the old sheffield cinema houses.

I started this a decade ago, searching out and photographing all the remaining old cinema houses. ( some more now gone :mad: )

Well anyway the whole website was taken down by the ISP because the site traffic was too high for a domestic free webspace, so I signed up for a professional hosting service and moved it all to a better location.

now here

http://thewookie.co.uk/cinemas/cinemas.html

:thumbsup:

dont forget the palace picture house in woodhouse opposite the cross daggers pub

The Palace Woodhouse opened in 1914 and closed in the early 60s. The manager for most of the time was Harold Booth. When youngsters in the 'penny rush' on Saturdays got too rowdy he would restore order by marching down the aisle ringing a handbell.

The Palace Woodhouse opened in 1914 and closed in the early 60s. The manager for most of the time was Harold Booth. When youngsters in the 'penny rush' on Saturdays got too rowdy he would restore order by marching down the aisle ringing a handbell.

I remember seeing Rock Around the Clock with Bill Haley and the Comets there. People started jiving in the aisle and they got thrown out. Those were the days.

I notice that on the first page someone kindly mentioned my website with its photos and articles about the old sheffield cinema houses.

I started this a decade ago, searching out and photographing all the remaining old cinema houses. ( some more now gone :mad: )

Well anyway the whole website was taken down by the ISP because the site traffic was too high for a domestic free webspace, so I signed up for a professional hosting service and moved it all to a better location.

now here

http://thewookie.co.uk/cinemas/cinemas.html

:thumbsup:

:love::love::love:

still love your website brilliant

Just picked up this thread the cinema near the junction of Greystones rd and Eccelsall rd was Greystones Cinema with Greystones Ballroom below (all now Napoleans. The Star cinema was near the bottom of Eccelsall rd about where the petrol station is now.