Looking for a list of cinemas in 50s sheffield

i remember the unity at the top of wood street...the one on union street where howden house now3 stands which was opposite the gennel to pinstone street...hippodrome on cambridge street....cinema house barkers pool....star on ecclesall road...coliseum on spital hill...

Hi, , on South A cinema in Hillsborough itself (up a side street - somebody will will remember the name) and the

Kinema on Procter Place.

What about 'The Phoenix' on Langsett Rd

Hi,

Thanks, I had completely forgotten the name "Kinema". Also for the name of the Phoenix. I had this nagging suspicion that there was another cinema on Langsett Road but its all a long time ago.

If you remember the Hippodrome on Cambridge St, you might remember that it had once been a theatre. It also had a large sliding hatch in the roof, worked by a winch, which they opened in the intermission on hot summer nights to let the heat out and hopefully some cool air in.

This was something of mixed blessing. As it was used very infrequently it quite often had several weeks or months worth of dust and muck on top.

Hippodrome regulars were aware of the hatch and never sat directly underneath it. The poor souls that did usually got cover in the droppings.

Regards

Hi,

Thanks, I had completely forgotten the name "Kinema". Also for the name of the Phoenix. I had this nagging suspicion that there was another cinema on Langsett Road but its all a long time ago.

If you remember the Hippodrome on Cambridge St, you might remember that it had once been a theatre. It also had a large sliding hatch in the roof, worked by a winch, which they opened in the intermission on hot summer nights to let the heat out and hopefully some cool air in.

This was something of mixed blessing. As it was used very infrequently it quite often had several weeks or months worth of dust and muck on top.

Hippodrome regulars were aware of the hatch and never sat directly underneath it. The poor souls that did usually got cover in the droppings.

Regards

Anyone remember the very last film shown there before the Hippodrome closed?

Oops!

Forgot the Lansdowne on London Road. Only a little bit of the front entrance left now. Incidentally, the front used to be white and looked quite attractive. Who was the idiot that painted it black?

Never saw a film there but remember when it was Marks and Spencer's shop after the Blitz. The floor still sloped so every counter was packed up on blocks to get it level. Kids used to bring, or buy, balls (anything that would roll) and launch them down the long aisles from the top of slope. See who's ball would roll right down to where the screen used to be.

Regards

When it ceased to be M & S, it became the Locarno dance hall.

I grew up in Richmond and lived equidistant between the Rex at Intake or the Plaza at Handsworth. I was also a frequent user of the News Theatre in Fitzallan Square

Remember Crookes Cinema with its Saturday morning matinees and Walkley Palladium on South Road where I saw 'The King and I' about 1960?

Was the 'side street' at Hillsborough - Catch Bar Lane - where the picture house became a supermarket? Also remember The Scala but suggest the top of Weston Street rather than 'Western Bank'? Near the Star & Garter?

I'm sure I recall a picture palace at the bottom end of South Street on the left when I was little.

The Hippodrome sounds wonderful with the sliding roof - love to see a pic of it

I'm sure I recall a picture palace at the bottom end of South Street on the left when I was little.

The Hippodrome sounds wonderful with the sliding roof - love to see a pic of it

The cinema on South St. was called The Park.

[quote=CHAIRBOY

Was the 'side street' at Hillsborough - Catch Bar Lane - where the picture house became a supermarket?

No ,that was The Hillsborough Park Cinema.

Fall got that one ,

The side Street was Procter Place and Hillsborough Kinema

Don't think anyone mentioned the Heeley Coliseum on Heeley bottom, also the Heeley Palace opposite the station.

Oops, see that the Heeley Palace was mentioned.

Don't think anyone mentioned the Heeley Coliseum on Heeley bottom, also the Heeley Palace opposite the station.

Oops, see that the Heeley Palace was mentioned.

\you forgot the Heeley Green!

there was a cinema at on shalesmoor called the Roscoe, now the new duel carrage way and flats.

Anyone remember the very last film shown there before the Hippodrome closed?

Yes, Gone with the wind.