Looking for a list of cinemas in 50s sheffield

Can someone give me a list of all the old picture palaces in sheffield during the fifties please?..When it was cool to be 18 and to be able to get into an x or an a without somebody taking you in

In the mid 90's I bought a book about old Sheffield cinemas for my OH. We've still got it somewhere but lots of stuff packed away due to Sheffield Homes taking forever to do the work for decent homes standards (it's in another thread so don't get me started on that though!!).

I bought it from Sheffield Scene on Surrey Street. They may still have some, I'll have a look tomorrow if I'm passing.

From memory though I can recall the Classic in Fitzalan Square, Studio 7 in Wicker, Odeon in Flat Street (now bingo place) and the Essoldo at Sheffield Lane Top (cheapo n gud films!!). They were the ones we went to mostly :thumbsup: .

H

i remember the two essoldos....and i can remember a few but not their names....wincobank which is now grahams plumbing shop...victory on upwell street...don at west bar...phoenix at holme lane...balfour at darnall...

Just remembered, the other Essoldo was at Southey, somewhere near where Tesco is now.

Also the Heeley Palace on London Road, The Palace on Union Street too and what about the good old Abbeydale!!!.

I think there was a couple on Woodseats, I know the Gleesons/restaurant builidng used to be one but I can't remember it's name. I'm sure someone will come up with it though :D .

OH went to bed half hour ago or I'd have a few more names :hihi:

:)

Just remembered, the other Essoldo was at Southey, somewhere near where Tesco is now.

Also the Heeley Palace on London Road, The Palace on Union Street too and what about the good old Abbeydale!!!.

I think there was a couple on Woodseats, I know the Gleesons/restaurant builidng used to be one but I can't remember it's name. I'm sure someone will come up with it though :D .

OH went to bed half hour ago or I'd have a few more names :hihi:

:)

Hi,

The Essoldo at Southey (Herries Road)was the Forum. Don't forget the Ritz at Parsons Cross. The cinema in Woodseats - next to the Big Tree P.H. ( the building eventually became Gleason's offices) was The Chantrey. There was also the Woodseats Pictures - opposite Tesco.

In town - in addition to the Odeon, Palace Union Street, Wicker and the Electra/News Theatre/Classic already mentioned - there was the The Cinema House and Regent/Gaumont in Barker's Pool, the Hippodrome on Cambridge Street and the ABC on Angel Street. Don't forget the Central on the Moor. There was also the Albert Hall (where John Lewis is now) but this burned down before I was born.

Don't forget the Rex at Intake; the Manor at Manor top; the Carlton on the Arbourthorne, the Plaza at Handsworth; the Balfour, Lyric and Darnall Cinemas in Darnall. The Regal at Staniforth Road. I'll let sombody else tell you about the cinemas in Attercliffe - the Adephli and the Pavillion I remember but there was another one next to where the B & C Funeral Directors used to be

(before they moved to Suffolk Road). Don't forget the one in Tinsley.

In the Park, there was the Park Picture Palace on South Street and the Norfolk on Duke Street.

In the Firth Park/ Pitsmoor area there was the Coliseum on Spital Hill, the Sunbeam at Page Hall, The Roxy at Page Hall, the Victory on Upwell Street, the Paragon at Firth Park and the Capitol (Essoldo) at Lane Top.

There was the Don on West Bar, the Roscoe at the Infirmary Road/Penistone Road Junction, the Unity on Langsett Road, A cinema in Hillsborough itself (up a side street - somebody will remind me of the name) and the Hillsborough Park Cinema.

There was the "Ranch House" on St. Philips Road and the Scala at Western Bank. There was a cinema in Crookes(somebody will remember the name) and the Walkley Palladium.

On Eccelsall Road, there was the Star, near the bottom and the Greystones near to Banner Cross.

O, yes! There was one at Heeley Green

That's all I can remember.

Regards

i remember the two essoldos....and i can remember a few but not their names....wincobank which is now grahams plumbing shop...victory on upwell street...don at west bar...phoenix at holme lane...balfour at darnall...

The Essoldo at Lane Top was The Capitol. The Essoldo at Southey Green was The Forum. The Essoldo at Ecclesfield was The Cinema House. All sold as a package by Gleeson's to Essoldo.

Oops!

Forgot the Lansdowne on London Road. Only a little bit of the front entrance left now. Incidentally, the front used to be white and looked quite attractive. Who was the idiot that painted it black?

Never saw a film there but remember when it was Marks and Spencer's shop after the Blitz. The floor still sloped so every counter was packed up on blocks to get it level. Kids used to bring, or buy, balls (anything that would roll) and launch them down the long aisles from the top of slope. See who's ball would roll right down to where the screen used to be.

Regards

Up to the mid fifties, there were 49 cinemas in Sheffield and I had been to them all. Only one didn't advertise in the 'Star' evening paper and that was the Victory in Upwell st.

Hi,

I'll let sombody else tell you about the cinemas in Attercliffe - the Adephli and the Pavillion I remember but there was another one next to where the B & C Funeral Directors used to be

That's all I can remember.

Regards

Terrific recall Falls.:thumbsup: The other one in Attercliffe was the Globe. Backed onto Maltby St School as well.

My Grandma was at the Adelphi, worked as an usherette for 21 years.

Hi, , on South A cinema in Hillsborough itself (up a side street - somebody will will remember the name) and the

Kinema on Procter Place.

What about 'The Phoenix' on Langsett Rd

Hi Falls

What a fantastic list of cinemas - there can't be many missing from that now. Some I didn't even know existed!!

:D