Have you ever been homeless?

have you been homeless and in which age group?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. have you been homeless and in which age group?

• yes at the age 15yrs and below
    • yes at the age 16yrs - 25yrs
    • yes at the age 26yrs -35yrs
    • yes at the age 36yrs -45yrs
    • yes at the age 46yrs -55yrs
    • yes at the age 56yrs and above
    • No I have never been homeless.

I was homeless in three stages of my life.

As a young teenager, as an older teenager, and as an adult. The first time I was homeless, I wasn't even legally allowed to have sex, and found the strangest set of circumstances.

It's too long to type in one go; glad to speak one to one if you wish.

thank you everyone for been so very very helpfull. xx

I was homeless twice as a result of domestic violence, and spent time in "battered wives'" hostels.

First time I was thrown out I was 18, Mum caught me breaking the house rules :suspect: we shall not elaborate as she is a forummer... I ended up in a terrible bedsit at firvale after scraping together the £200 deposit from the current boyfriend at the time.

Second time was when I was in London, house I was living in had a terrible landlord so a bunch of us squatted in a perfectly beautiful victorian house in New Cross Gate... It was lovely. The police even helped us move the furniture in.

First time I was thrown out I was 18, Mum caught me breaking the house rules :suspect: we shall not elaborate as she is a forummer... I ended up in a terrible bedsit at firvale after scraping together the £200 deposit from the current boyfriend at the time.

Second time was when I was in London, house I was living in had a terrible landlord so a bunch of us squatted in a perfectly beautiful victorian house in New Cross Gate... It was lovely. The police even helped us move the furniture in.

Do parents still have 'house rules'?, I thought we got rid of those in the '60's.

Our house has always been run on self respect, and respect for each other, since the kids were old enough to know.

It is still the same way now when they are visiting, with their children.

You dont need rules when mutual trust and respect is in place. :thumbsup:

Well I was a very disrespectful teenager... :blush: needless to say if my sons did what I did I would pitch a fit....

She did follow through with a bin bag full of clothes out the top window at 2am though.

ps: SORRY MUM!

I used to live on New Cross Road (the Old Kent Road end of it) above an undertakers ........ where my step-dad lived ........ small world ........ there were some lovely houses going towards the Amersham Arms (great for punk!), past the dodgy night club (the Cross?) ........ not that I went out when I was about 14-16 ......... (1988-90)

Moonbird Im so sorry to hear this.I expect you left for a reason,but do hope you are settled and happy now with your kids.

Oh yes good reason i am afraid.

My children are now grown men, we are all happy and ok and a lot better off :)

I was homeless for around 6 months back in 2005 after a violent relationship.

I first stayed with friends, then moved to an hostel for the last three months. It was a real eye opener I can say. I eventually got a house through Halfway Homes and Arches Housing Association. I agree having a stable home life helps greatly where mental health is concerned.

I've never been homeless, although I lived in really poor housing when I first came to S Yorks in 1970. No heating except one coal fire, no inside loo and for the first 2 weeks we had no cooker as someone had nicked all the copper gas pipes! I had 2 young children at the time, and I've appreciated everywhere else I've lived since then!

I've worked in housing in the past, and for a few years had a lot to do with people who were homeless. It was heartbreaking sometimes listening to details of family breakdown and domestic abuse and knowing you couldn't meet the needs of the people concerned, far less their aspirations.

For people who think homelessness is a quick route to council housing (and yes, there are some) it isn't. You have to prove that you are eligible (residency in the UK etc), homeless, and much more. Nowadays there is an attempt through mediation services to try and resolve parent/teenager differences where the youngster has left home as often this is more about a breakdown in communication than anything else!

Good morning, i will be doing my presentation hopefully on wednesday. so keep polling and thank you for all your responses...