Have you ever been homeless?

have you been homeless and in which age group?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. have you been homeless and in which age group?

• yes at the age 15yrs and below
    • yes at the age 16yrs - 25yrs
    • yes at the age 26yrs -35yrs
    • yes at the age 36yrs -45yrs
    • yes at the age 46yrs -55yrs
    • yes at the age 56yrs and above
    • No I have never been homeless.

hello, i'm doing a presentation :( on NOMAD and homelessness and i was going to add a poll from sheffield forumers :D who have been homeless and at what age in there life hope you can help. Thank you xx

you can also add your comments and experience's.:thumbsup:

A person is homeless unless they have accommodation in the UK or elsewhere that is reasonable for them to continue to occupy. The term 'homeless' can be used to describe, amongst others, people who are threatened with homelessness within 28 days; people who cannot gain access to their home or stay in their home due to threat of violence; or people who only have access to emergency accommodation such as refuges.

ive not been homeless but its a subject close to my heart as i used to hang around with loads of homeless, beggars, tramps and travellers in the peace gardens back in the late 80s

thank you, so much, it just a bit extra for the end of my presentation to make it more real if you get me. Also if you now someone who hasn't got access to SF then you can, if their close to you and have been or who are homeless you can pick one for them on their behalf... many thanks again. this is NOT a public poll.

looking at my experiences on homelessness although it DOES effect EVERYBODY theres a couple of age groups that seem to become homeless most

the older ............men, that are normally classed as tramps or winos, have a history of mental illness, drink problems and after being on the streets for years find it almost impossible to fit back into mainstream society again.

and the young people mainly 15-20 who normally run away from home and have nowhere else to turn, usually because of family arguements, abuse at home

Hi i was homeless at age of 21 with my son who was 3.

The system is pretty crap for rehoming people in sheffield.

I was homless cos i left my partner,i was staying at a friends.

I had to remain homeless for 31 days to be classed homeless.

And then i had to be assessed to become priority which took another 2 week.

Then i had to bid as priority but if someone had been priority for 2 week and me only a week.They would get a house before me because they had been waiting longer.I found it hard because i felt so guilty my son was having to live in this situation.

I eventually got a home it took 4 mnth all in all.Me and my son had stayed in between 2 homes.Thats all i have to say on the matter the councill need to sort the system charlie.

I was homeless at the age of 27 for varios reasons, It took me three months to get rehomed and now that I have a place thats just mine I feel alot more secure.

I would like to extend a huge thankyou to my friends that helped me through that difficult time and got me back on my feet.

Even though it took a while to get me situated, Sheffield Homes were a god send. They kept me up to date with how my bidding was going and even appointed me a support worker to place bids in my absence, all I had to do was let them know the areas I wanted.

Me and my 2 children were homeless when i was 27, i left my husband, we were

in an homeless hostel for 6 weeks.

Me and my 2 children were homeless when i was 27, i left my husband, we were

in an homeless hostel for 6 weeks.

Moonbird Im so sorry to hear this.I expect you left for a reason,but do hope you are settled and happy now with your kids.

I've been nearly kicked out a few times, but my Mum would miss me - With the Rifle! :rolleyes:

i,ve been homless 3 times, 1st living with a friend who gave her council flat up so i had to move to a b+b. 2nd landlord had house repossesed. 3rd and hopfully last 5 yrs ago when i left x hubby, like charlie had a small child and took 9 months to get rehoused, i was classed as being intentionally(spelling) homeless so didnt get full priority, though had reason to leave. nomad helped me get my last place furnished, there great:thumbsup:

I was technically what would be called homeless for five months when I was 19.

My parents had moved from Dublin to Telford, and I couldn't stand it there, so I packed a bag and hitched off to France and then Germany, and ended up living on the streets in Frankfurt for three months.

I hasten to add I had a great time, but I suppose it was voluntary, as I did have other options, and was able to go back to Ireland and get a job when winter set in.

I suppose if I had been more tempted by the heroin I was offered on more than one occasion, it would have all have turned out very differently.

Although I've never been homeless myself, I've always felt a stong affinity with homeless people.

There have been times in my life when I have been homeless in a sense.

I travelled extensively whilst growing up, and the concept of home was often challenged or changing. There were often times when we'd leave one home (overseas) and spend 6 weeks or more in hotels before returning to our home in Britain. There was one occasion when we'd left our home abroad, but could not return to our house in Britain as it was rented, and had to wait till they left. At this time we stayed with my grandparents. Yes we had a roof over our head. But it raises questions as to where do you call home and where are you from.

Perhaps the scariest time was when I was 19 and went to University. I was staying in Halls which wasn't a good idea because they kick you out every holiday. My parents lived 6000 miles away so I could not stay with them every holiday. So it became a case of where I could stay each holiday. I normally stayed at my brother's house, but on one occassion that was not possible. So I asked if I could stay with my Grandmother. She said there was no room. I paniked and didn't know what to do. I eventually begged my Grandmother to let me pitch my tent in her garden.

Although I was never without shelter. I do believe that having stable accomodation has a lot to do with mental health.

I have been told to leave shared housing because of mental illness (thru no fault of my own).

There have been many times when if it was not for my family, I would have been at risk of homelessness. So it makes me think how easy it is to lose your home.