Experiences with Esporta Gym

I don't know if everyone is aware of this but Esporta are loosing money hand over fist. I read last weekend in a financial paper that the billionaire who owns the group was being asked to stump up a few million of his personal fortune to prevent the concern from going into bankrupsy.

Also why are they allowed to put sun beds in a place that is supposed to be all about fitness and health. If someone wanted to suffer from the affects of skin damage surely a bath of acid would be quicker. It is my belief that in 50 years time, (maybe less) sunbeds will be seen as barbaric and stupid as the time when people used to drink radioactive drinks to feel younger.

2000 people a year die in UK due to malignant melonomas, the most serious form of skin cancer, why are sun beds still tolerated by people ?

I saw that article.

They are spending money on the Sheffield Esporta though. Definite improvement.

The gym staff are all great, although theres not enough of them.

I understand where you`re coming from(ie. trying to make the op stand by his accusations).

My father-in-law (ex chief inspector) has dealt with many of accusations like this, all of which classed as civil matters.

I can't see how this could be classed as a civil matter.

Admitedly I have only recently started as a PC (still in training) and this is not in any way a professional opinion or the view of any force, but someone forging your signature on a credit agreement would seem to me to be a criminal offence, not a civil matter. That's just my own personal view and if it was me I'd report it to the police for them to decide.

Could the OP confirm what if anything has happened with all this?

Time to add my 2 cents in again...

Agreed that no one, Police etc, will help you with gym membership. Stuff like this happens, reason is that the sales consultants are under so much pressure to get people to sign up. There is a high turn over of sales staff, most are sacked or just leave.

These gyms will have 'sales days' where each member of staff has to do a certain number of sales per day. I've seen one office where they placed a dartboard and a dildo on a desk, and everytime they got a sale they had to throw the dildo at the dartboard. This was meant to make sales 'fun'.

How do you solve a problem like Esporta? These guys hate negative press. There are so many gyms in Sheffield, bad press will kill them. Attempt to solve stuf with the manager first, if that does not work then wrote to Action Desk at the Star, contact National Papers etc as well. This is the only way you will get anyway, and you will often find stuff refunded to you as a gesture of goodwill.

To say that nobody will help seems very negative and possibly untrue. Let's forget for a moment that this involves a gym and focus on the fact that the OP is claiming someone has forged their signature on a legal agreement. Regardless of what the agreement was for, the law still stands.

Having seen Virgin and fitness first I would say Esporta with its new re-fit has by far the best gym area and equitment in Sheffield

I had a free trial week there a few years back and it was good. The only thing is youhave to make it plain to them (in writing) if you are not interested in joining permanently or they will assume you do and you will find yourself paying out a lot. It is expensive to join.

To say that nobody will help seems very negative and possibly untrue. Let's forget for a moment that this involves a gym and focus on the fact that the OP is claiming someone has forged their signature on a legal agreement. Regardless of what the agreement was for, the law still stands.

OK, maybe I went too far, but it would be very difficullt to prove.

Can you prove it was forged? It's your word against theirs. Unfortunately in today's world, many people sign stuff and then regret it, and use the 'forged signature' story as an excuse to get out of it. I am not saying this was the case for the OP, but it is what Police etc deal with every day.

I can't see how this could be classed as a civil matter.

Admitedly I have only recently started as a PC (still in training) and this is not in any way a professional opinion or the view of any force, but someone forging your signature on a credit agreement would seem to me to be a criminal offence, not a civil matter. That's just my own personal view and if it was me I'd report it to the police for them to decide.

Could the OP confirm what if anything has happened with all this?

Really glad that you think that this is a criminal matter but I am afraid to say that in my experience with the police/CPS, they tend to brush this off as a civil matter. It is really a balancing act between what is a good use of police time etc. I don't want to go into a debate about how the police should deal with their time. They are doing a very difficult job with limited resources and under a lot of pressure. Hats off to you, man.

OK, maybe I went too far, but it would be very difficullt to prove.

Can you prove it was forged? It's your word against theirs. Unfortunately in today's world, many people sign stuff and then regret it, and use the 'forged signature' story as an excuse to get out of it. I am not saying this was the case for the OP, but it is what Police etc deal with every day.

Signature forgeries can be investigated. There are ways to check the signature.

I still think the OP should report it if this happened as they claim.

Any word from the OP as to what's happened with this?

i'd like to assure you that Esporta does not forge signatures, and personally i feel you should involve the police, just to be proved wrong, you can't make accusations like that and not follow it up.

I used to work for Esporta and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were forging signatures. Awful money grabbing company. Definitely go to the police about the forged signatures.

I used to go to Virgin and found them to be very good. Plus, no contracts. I was a member for a couple of years without ever having any compaints. My partner was a member for 7 months and cancelled without difficulty.