End of an era with the demise of Gemsoft

I used to remember when I was just a nipper that they were very close to Just Micro (Carver Street) and I used to buy all my Atari ST and Amiga games there. Then they moved to Furnival Gate then Attercliffe. It was only about 6 months ago I was there in the Attercliffe offices while they fixed my work PC. I used to like them, they did me a great favour quite a few times and they were pretty reasonable on pricing too imo.

Shame they have shut but they will probably open up again hopefully! Does anyone know Steve on here? He's the tall one with glasses! Great bloke.. Always had time for you if you wanted to know anything (even if the shop was heaving!)

I used to use them years ago when they were on Furnival Gate but I found their prices creeped to above average and on more than one occasion I found them to be clueless about a particular product. They also had a very limited stock.

That about sums it up for me too. Stopped using them with the advent of internet based suppliers. What was the name of that Sheffield web order firm (with web forum like OCUK) that went bust about 2-3 years ago? That was our last decent local up to date component supplier.

Currently if I need something up to date the same day its a case of traveling to Stoke on Trent.

I used to remember when I was just a nipper that they were very close to Just Micro (Carver Street) and I used to buy all my Atari ST and Amiga games there.

I also used to go to Gemsoft when they was on Division Street, had to go up some stairs into a small room and they had an Amiga and an Atari ST, used to go in after school and play on the games, it was what got me interested in Amiga's and I have never looked back, thanks Gemsoft.

Great friendly people, however i found the price extremely high (more than likely down to location of shop) and advice poor (over heard one or two things off and I can tell you straight that it was wrong).

Got our first PC from Escom, and second one from Gemsoft, as I say, great people but towards the end not so great shop.

R.I.P. Gemsoft

This is an official statement from an ex member of Gemsoft, one of the main reasons we had to close was because many people started buying from internet based companies and larger stores such as PC World, some of our customers would rather travel to Rotherham or Barnsley just to save a £1 on a product. We prided ourselves in offering personnel service not just selling you any old thing just to make a profit. We also had large overheads and had to deal with suppliers, as we didn't buy as many products as the like of PC World we didn't get as big a discount as they did, but what we did get we passed on to the customer.

We would like to return the favour and thank our loyal customers and the people on here who have wished us well even "The Daddy" (I know who you are, mark says wheres his jam roly poly)

gemsoft wont return in any new form, sorry thats the end.

Bit annoyed this evening as whilst upgrading my PC (built by Gemsoft) I found that the graphics card I paid for with the build (brand new at the time and very pricey) isn't even in there. I'm hoping this was an innocent mistake but I have a sneaking feeling it might not have been - but obviously they aren't around anymore to prove me wrong or offer any sort of compensation:mad:. I would be really dissapointed if this wasn't a mistake as I've always stood by gemsoft and me and my family had been using them for almost 15 years. Just got to give them the benefit of the doubt really :(

Gemsoft were OK but not brilliant. I never did go and buy 'big stuff' there since indeed it seemed they had limited knowledge or didn't wish to pass on the wisdom. Their move from furnival Gate was a mistake, I shopped with them since the early 90s when I used to buy 3 1/2 floppy games but the day they moved to Norfolk Bridge I never went to them again... Moving from a prime location to a hell hole: good move guys!

A sad loss, that's the last of the old computer shops gone isn't it? :( I remember our (Just Micro) 5-a-side against Gemsoft many years ago at Pits in Attercliffe. We lost about 25-3, but we did have a cuddly toy sheep in the net for much of the game. :D

It was a great shop. V good on customer service and in the beginning very good on competitive prices for games. I thought there was a change of ownership when its founder decided to go for his business pcs and internet ISP business, which left the shop on its own?

I have fond memories and I know Mark was very helpful to me during the time it was open. Thoroughly decent guy whilst he worked there. Tall and speccy. Shame it went, but then who'd have thunk the internet was gonna get that big and it be a different ball game.

Not sure customer service is valued that much these days and the net makes buying products intensely competitive. That shop on Carver Street will always make me smile.

My Amiga came from the Furnival gate shop.