Walking and camping - ever tried it?

I've got my Bronze Duke of Edinburgh award and did the expedition for the Gold so have done plenty of walking and camping. On the expeditions you have to lug your stuff about with you between the camps. I did the gold in Scotland and during the thunderstorm the night before we set off our tent snapped. I got absolutely soaked and spent the night in the laundry with a few mates watching our sleeping bags go round in the dryer! Great times!

The best place I’ve ever camped is Yoesemite National Park, we got drove to places, did a longish walk to a meeting point and then got ferried back to camp. That was one of the most fantastic four days of my life.

I've got my Bronze Duke of Edinburgh award and did the expedition for the Gold so have done plenty of walking and camping. On the expeditions you have to lug your stuff about with you between the camps. I did the gold in Scotland and during the thunderstorm the night before we set off our tent snapped. I got absolutely soaked and spent the night in the laundry with a few mates watching our sleeping bags go round in the dryer! Great times!

The best place I’ve ever camped is Yoesemite National Park, we got drove to places, did a longish walk to a meeting point and then got ferried back to camp. That was one of the most fantastic four days of my life.

I think what WaxonWaxOff is interested in.

Is a weekend taking young children camping/walking.

Perhaps she will confirm this.

I think what WaxonWaxOff is interested in.

Is a weekend taking young children camping/walking.

Perhaps she will confirm this.

Yes albert that is what i am intrested in. Thanks for the other replies too.

Thankyou

waxonwaxoff

Yes albert that is what i am intrested in. Thanks for the other replies too.

Thankyou

waxonwaxoff

Pick your week end. First time the weather MUST be fine. When we had children the only holidays we were interested in were camping though usually we used either a car, van, camper or caravan and eventually both. When I was walked and Cycle Camped along with Youth Hosteling (Ideal to start off a childs interest in walking, cycleing and camping).

Probably a couple of static camping weekends would be the best starter.

Then staying overnight, Packing up after breakfast to do a short walk then return to re-pitch and spend the night.

Build up slowly and you will not only enjoy it but realise what you don't need to take and carry around.

Walking and camping - ever tried it?

did you camp in one spot and walk from there each day, or did you lug all your equipment with you on an expedition walk?

What experiences did you have, and what equipment did you take?

What kind of tent did you have? and would you recommend the same one to others?

My business commands my attention 6 days a week so I don’t get holidays as such, but what I do get is weekends and bank holidays.

A weekend I throw the two birth in the back of my little MG and off to Castleton.

On a bank holiday it’s the six birth with all the gear in the van.

Usually it’s just me and the wife but some times we go with a couple of fellow hikers who have their own gear.

We have all the attire, compass an all and I must say we look like a couple of right nerds.

But we love it, even if my plates don’t.

Both tents are Vango’s but they are all as good as one an other.

There must be something about sleeping under canvas and the fresh air, but it don’t half get the hormones going.:blush:

Has anyone done any "wild" camping in the peaks? We were going to walk from Mancheter to Sheffield this Easter weekend but every "official" campsite makes you stay at least 2 nights (sometimes 4). Making this walk impossible.

We were thinking of pitching up in the corner of a farmer's field away early evening and carrying on the next morning - obviously leaving the pitch without any trace that we have been there.

Not strictly "legal" but apparantly if you are out of eyeshot, most farmers are ok with it.

Has anyone done any "wild" camping in the peaks? We were going to walk from Mancheter to Sheffield this Easter weekend but every "official" campsite makes you stay at least 2 nights (sometimes 4). Making this walk impossible.

We were thinking of pitching up in the corner of a farmer's field away early evening and carrying on the next morning - obviously leaving the pitch without any trace that we have been there.

Not strictly "legal" but apparantly if you are out of eyeshot, most farmers are ok with it.

My son did this on Stanage edge a week or two back, they got woken up by a ranger who was very polite but firm that they had to move - he said he could have prosecuted them.

Wild camping is illegal in England I believe, but legal in Scotland.

Variety of stoves out there now, the more resilent is the trangia will last the longest for abuse and is fairly cheap.

Have to agree with that! Still have my Trangia from 1982 and works perfectly. Sold my tents, but couldn't bear to part with my Trangia :hihi: