How Many Of You Are Going To Upgrade To Vista?

wine hq will not have photoshop on their websote as it was coded by crossover.

i think your missing the point of gnu beta.

a car in the 50s' would be called beta by cars of todays standards, but as a capitalist manufacturer yu would be crazy to tell people, well its not actually ready for long term use as a modle and will be rubbish in ten years.

alternatly, when time and money are not deadlines, you can say, here is a list of EVERYTHING we want this car to do and until we get to the point where it does what we wanted at the beginning, its still in development. rather than, ok heres the final version which is trimmed down because we didnt have time to fix everything oh and btw it doesnt do this, this this and this doesnt quite work properly but in two years you can buy the next one which should be fixed by then

ie its beta because theyre HONEST, they wont fay its final until every single bug is eliminated. comapre that to M$ and theire shipping releases....

beta is not the same with gnu as with proprietary software and cannot be judged by the same criteria. most things are still beta but this doesnt mean theyre not ready for mainstream release and using. take jamin for example. this is just as powerfull as any other mastering software ive used and is still in beta. why, because the developers arent forced by release deadlines and profits, so they can spend the time to deliver a truly quality piece of code by the time it becomes version 1 proper. btw most major projects do have full time coders and project managers along with finacial backing from either a company who has interest in the project or donations from end users.

its a different business model and not as you bluntly put it simply amateurs working for love alone.

microsoft n gates made billions by squeezing other businesses into liquidation, they bought code and used it to eliminate partners, released fictional program release dates to stifle the release of competitors software. they infringed on open standards. nothing they have done has been for anything other than personal gain.

imho gates is spending a few million to help him make a reputation where it seems he does care. nothing more. PR stunt (in bad taste) admittedly towards very worthy causes.

anyways, back to OP, vista is by comparison NOT ready for the mainstream, and should be avoided at ALL costs. if at least for the first year, wait and see what happens.

I'm going for some hardware upgrading soon & was actually thinking of getting an OEM copy of Vista Ultimate while I could buy one legitimately. As OEM license motherboard dependent & VMWare is transparent for most devices except video card I was going to run it as a VM guinea pig for the first year or so, just so I could have a prod at it's innards & check it out.

Vista Ultimate OEM - around £120

Vista Ultimate Retail - around £320

Cost of a new mobo so I can use OEM - around £100

MS's bloody stupid OEM licensing restrictions (& ripping off Mastercard's tagline)- Priceless

Anyone who buys a retail version instead of getting OEM & £200 of hardware must be a right muppet :loopy:

Okay, so apologies if this has already been addressed but I'm posting this on the sly and don't have time to trawl through 10 or so pages of posts...

64bit vs 32bit versions.

Having recently upgraded to a lovely x64 based processor I know I can run the 64bit edition of Vista Ultimate quite happily, however it's the question of what applications will work on it that noone seems to be able to provide answers to!

Most of my work (as this is my "work" machine) is done using Adobe's Creative suite. Aside from that there isn't a huge amount else installed (a few games, MSN, iTunes). I do have an upgrade to CS3 in mind when it comes out, but I don't really want to upgrade and find that nothing works.

This is an area where I admit to being less well informed than I'd like!

Any advice? I'm not going to upgrade for upgrading's sake, but I do fancy some of the improved workflow options promised by an upgrade....

i wouldt bother just yet, you need the coders to not just port the apps to 64bit but actually re-code them to take advantage of the extra registers available. it will be games that use the extra power first.

simply having a 64 bit OS without the 64 bit apps is a bit pointless. you'll see no performance increase.

wine hq will not have photoshop on their websote as it was coded by crossover.
Well yippee it's version 7, therefore virtually useless as things have progressed enormously since then. Not to mention the gotcha

"This application installs, and runs well enough to be usable. However we find it has enough bugs to prevent it from running flawlessly."

So using an older incompatible version of my software with added bugs is going to be better how?

i think your missing the point of gnu beta.
Nope.

ie its beta because theyre HONEST, they wont fay its final until every single bug is eliminated. comapre that to M$ and theire shipping releases....
MS could have released Vista earlier for testing and called it a Beta, hang on actually they did.

Every single bug eliminated!! Yeah Right, now you are sounding a bit :loopy:

beta is not the same with gnu as with proprietary software and cannot be judged by the same criteria. most things are still beta but this doesnt mean theyre not ready for mainstream release and using. take jamin for example. this is just as powerfull as any other mastering software ive used and is still in beta. why, because the developers arent forced by release deadlines and profits, so they can spend the time to deliver a truly quality piece of code by the time it becomes version 1 proper. btw most major projects do have full time coders and project managers along with finacial backing from either a company who has interest in the project or donations from end users.

its a different business model and not as you bluntly put it simply amateurs working for love alone.

I use a fair bit of version 10, 12, 14 software so waiting for another v1 thing to appear is not worth most people#s while and since when had v1.o software ever been perfect.

I'm not anti Linux, it's just that it's not good enough [yet] to be considered.

microsoft n gates made billions by squeezing other businesses into liquidation, they bought code and used it to eliminate partners, released fictional program release dates to stifle the release of competitors software. they infringed on open standards. nothing they have done has been for anything other than personal gain.

imho gates is spending a few million to help him make a reputation where it seems he does care. nothing more. PR stunt (in bad taste) admittedly towards very worthy causes.

Giving away billions and trying to cure AIDS is hardly a PR excercise. Most people aren't even aware that 's what Bill does. Anyway robbing the rich to help the poor is the nicest business model ever. Remember no-one is forced to buy any make of software and I doubt there's any that isn't cracked. So even if you couldn't afford it, you can probably find a hooky copy as you did with Windows.

anyways, back to OP, vista is by comparison NOT ready for the mainstream, and should be avoided at ALL costs. if at least for the first year, wait and see what happens.
Be interesting to see how it fares, but not ready for mainstrean is not quite right, the mainstream, not being so fussed about Vista is probably more accurate.

ok so we found out i exagerated on one or maybe two ... three but only very slightly, of course bugs will remain regardless of time and that your good at picking holes, theres truth inbetween both our opinions.

And Photoshop runs really fast on Linux too.

Or is that not at all?]

MS patches since XP came out [5years ago?] have been free in case you hadn't noticed. It's Apple that has the near annual OS tax.

Too many important/useful programmes are not on Linux, for too many peole to switch. Software can be very expensive to produce, so amateurs doing it for love and no return is never going be able to compete with say Adobe.

GIMP is not a serious PS rival.

However if Adobe sold their products for Linux, it would give it a huge boost. But they won't. So end of story there.

I think, given OSX's proximity to *nix/BSD, and the steadily advancing userbase of 'workstation' distros - especially things like Ubuntu, it won't be long before Adobe do release their creative studio onto Linux. Unless they actually have a distinct policy of not doing so, which I'm unaware of.

Adobe have stated they have no intention of releasing for Linux.

The reason - it's too expensive for them to do so. Especially as the returns would be so small. Too few people using it and many of them do so as not to pay for software.

Adobe is not known for being charitable, they won't even cross licence CS for Mac and PC even though you can use CS on a laptop and a desktop.

do you actually need photoshop ? if it's a work requirement then you are a bit stuck but if not then Gimp is a good alternative, and GimpShop is supposed to be so close to Photoshop in operation that it can use the same tutorials

not used Gimpshop so I can't comment on it but I do use Gimp and it does everything I need for image manipulation

both available for pretty much any platform, and if yours isn't one of them then the source code is available so you can try porting it yourself

Gimp is only considered to be a non serious rival because business users haven't taken to open source much, this situation is slowly changing

Gimp isn't a bad programme, but it's certainly not Photoshop and what about Lightroom or Bridge, they provide fantastic ease of workflow allied with PS. And there's Dreamweaver, Flash, InDesign, Corel Draw, Photomechanic, Vegas, Final Cut, Aperture....

Mac+ Windows are established platforms with thousands of very useful programmes.

Linux is very, very lacking in comparison.

Gimp/Gimpshop does not even support CMYK, so no professional will even give it a second glance.

Whatever happened to the days when a OS was built for your computer, and not the other way round? I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to fall for Microsoft fanboy hype and buy Vista.

Whatever happened to the days when a OS was built for your computer, and not the other way round?

that was before gates sold his soul.