How Many Of You Are Going To Upgrade To Vista?

Ah right, so in many ways its a lot more restrictive than XP

in nearly every way its more restrictive

plain :loopy: OS.

edit found another good article, a little less intense than the one nazo put up. :thumbsup:

[edit]

was logged into wrong account... this is why you don't let your girlfriend use your computer :P

Xafier

I'm currently running Vista Business, which I got through MSDN for free :) I've not really had any major problems with it so far, I've had one application that was a little difficult to install, but I managed it eventually by running it in win 2000 compatibility mode.

Vista is a lot more visually pleasing than XP, probably the nicest feature is the ClearType, which is in XP but not enabled by default... which basically means that almost all text is now a lot nicer to read.

3D application switching is quite interesting too, helps you find the right application quicker and easier if you have a lot open.

Some of the security stuff is a bit of a pain in the ass though, but its only really like linux whereby a lot of tasks are done by the administrator/root user... so really they're just getting more in line with how security should be... its just that your average user is used to Windows doing everything the wrong way and normal users having far too much power.

Although running the final BETA of the Vista OS, I wont be fully upgrading until the 64 bit version is running smoothly, it doesnt hav the same probs as XP

I'll probably upgrade to Feisty Fawn once it's near its release date.

I've watched Vista progress, and my optimism slip each step of the way.

Dropped features, restrictive down-grading DRM, new (copied Mac OS) features.

I really wanted this to be a good OS for MS's sake, maybe restore some people's faith in them, but I can't see this happening in my case.

XP was shocking IMO, and Vista may not be too better once you get over it's Aero looks.

I've recently switched to Mac, and have no intentions of looking back, especially at £200 for Vista's 'base' package!

I have heard comments such as 'Its like a big itunes but better' which scares me a little bit. I think Mac OS runs well (im on XP) but im looking forward to checking it out!

Same here, I adopt teh same policy with all new OS releases, I refuse to even touch it till they've got all teh bugs out of teh system and/or released all teh service packs for it.

Still using MS-DOS then?

On the security front, as brought up by xafier, they've certainly improved that and it does remind you a little of a *nix based system in that respect.

Even when logged in as an administrator some tasks need further permission to be carried out and if you try to edit a file in a protected area, program files for example, you need to run the application in an almost super administrator like mode or it will refuse to save it (this can be done by either setting it to run as administrator in properties or when loading holding down shift, control and pressing enter). This may add a second or two to some routines, but it certainly stops people making accidental changes.

One example of the added security, I recently installed Command and Conquer Generals on my PC. I tried to use the online updater which works on XP but it failed on Vista. This was because security wouldn't allow it to update the files. According to the web there wasn't a fix yet for it, however if you manually download the patch installers and run them in the above mentioned mode it works fine. This is a longer way of doing it, but as developers get used to Vista it won't be required.

The security is definitely better though, even this little addition should stop some people getting problems they currently get on XP.

Vista's just simply a better operating system, the Digital Rights Management that has been added for Blu-Ray and HD DVD playback is secure, and I've read up on it extensively. It is very unlikely to affect DVD playback and in terms of purchasing legit content, then really is no problem whatsoever.

I wouldn't mind Microsoft making a completely new Operating System from the ground up. No backwards compatability, only the support for hardware made in the last 5 years. Their problem imo lies where they have to make a new OS but ensure it plays Win 98 + content.

Also, on the security side, Microsoft should be cut some slack. Alot of people ramble on about Apple's superiority in this respect, but when only 5% of computers run Mac OS, why would the people who make Virus' target OS X? Granted MS could improve on the whole patch tuesday concept, but if thousands, if not millions of virus coders are all looking for flaws and holes in your code, regardless of the system, they'll find it.

Vista's good, and I guess it'll be similar to what happened with XP, those who want to jump on the bandwagon straight away will be doing so, and the others who see changing OS as an investment will wait until the benfits to upgrade are clear.

Still using MS-DOS then?

I still (occasionally) boot into MS-DOS:)

Vista's just simply a better operating system, the Digital Rights Management that has been added for Blu-Ray and HD DVD playback is secure

Rubbish:thumbsup:.

Both have been cracked within the last couple of weeks:D.

As for Vista, the fact that it will stop me from playing me *cough* aquired *cough* music seriously puts me off.

XP works for me, doesn't cause me any problems since I stopped buying PC games, and very rarely, if ever, crashes or owt. And I love IE7, much better than that rubbish overrated Firefox malarkey.

How can Vista stop you playing music ?, what type of music files are you trying to play ?, have you informed Mr Gates ?

For me, I wont get Vista just yet, I only just round to XP and I am gonna build another pc, I have enough spare parts in the flat to buidl another and install Linux on it.