How Many Of You Are Going To Upgrade To Vista?

Personally I won't be 'upgrading' unless absolutely unavoidable.

Why would I willingly install an Operating System that has been built from the ground up with the express purpose of limiting what I can do with my PC rather than expanding it?

/signed :thumbsup:

I've already upgraded. I'm running Vista Ultimate edition (release version, not beta) and there's no looking back to XP. I prefer Vista. The indexing feature on the start bar alone is worth the upgrade for me, but I suppose I'm easily pleased.

We got several copies of each release free at work for development and testing purposes and I got my own copy free thanks to my Microsoft subscriptions and testing.

I've had a few grumbles with Office 2007, but Vista seems great so far. There's the odd bit of software that either doesn't run or takes a bit of fiddling and same with hardware too, but on the whole it's behaving.

Vista is what XP should have been.

I doubt I'll be upgrading until I absolutely have to, and then only when they send viruses out on to the internet to zap all previous versions of Windows. And then they'll have to get through my firewall. :)

A lot of Vista seems to be designed around a 'pretty' OS. I'd prefer the effort to go in to running software and managing services. The tight integration between OS and UI that Windows is increasingly bugging me.

Same here, I adopt teh same policy with all new OS releases, I refuse to even touch it till they've got all teh bugs out of teh system and/or released all teh service packs for it.

Same here, I adopt teh same policy with all new OS releases, I refuse to even touch it till they've got all teh bugs out of teh system and/or released all teh service packs for it.

So you don't use any modern day Microsoft Windows operating systems at all then?:hihi:

So you don't use any modern day Microsoft Windows operating systems at all then?:hihi:

Took the words right out of my mouth...

:)

I was looking at laptops on the Comet website the other day, and a lot of them come with the option of a free upgrade to Vista Home Premium.

I don't think I'd upgrade the computer I'm using now just for the sake of it, mainly because there doesn't seem to be any need but, if I did buy a new laptop in the future, I may take up the option, if it was possible to roll back to XP if I didn't like it. If the laptop came with Vista already installed, then I would probably be happy with that.

I may take up the option, if it was possible to roll back to XP if I didn't like it. If the laptop came with Vista already installed, then I would probably be happy with that.
There's no option that I've found. I wouldn't upgrade XP to Vista, I'd do a complete fresh install. If you want to be able to have an XP rollback option the best thing to do would be to create 2 partitions on your hard disk, one with XP and one with Vista. I did this and can choose which OS to boot in to when the PC first starts. This is so I can use either OS and also allows me to migrate my old XP system over a longer period.

I only have XP because I need IE7 for my job. I will not purchase Vista unless it becomes necessary for checking it's web browser, assuming it's still highly used. Should IE8 be Vista only, I will upgrade. That's assuming there will be an IE8.

SP1 is out 2nd half of this year so sometime after that :)

I'll be upgrading once there's drivers for all my hardware.. Thats the biggest thing stopping me at the moment....

I'll be upgrading once there's drivers for all my hardware.. Thats the biggest thing stopping me at the moment....

What hardware do you have that you consider to be a problem?

What do you mean? Please explain :huh:

Vista has been designed primarily with the interests of content providers in mind, not the end user. Everything has been locked down at the hardware level to stop people doing things the big corps don't want you to. And that doesn't just mean not being able to play pirated material on your PC, it means not being able to play legitimately purchased content if you don't have hardware Vista considers to be secure enough to play it.

There's an interesting analysis here though it's a bit technical in places