How Many Of You Are Going To Upgrade To Vista?

Just out of interest. Me im going to wait till i get a new PC i think, although i've been reading up on it and it is tempting..............Flip 3D Windows! :)

On a corporate level, we wont roll out Vista until at least Q3 2007, there is too much in Vista that we cant lock down with AD, and we are not risking having the security holes that XP offered us.

Joel

Flip 3D Windows! :)

yeah, it's cool.

shame they 'borrowed' that from Sun's Project Looking Glass.

and a lot of the rest from OSX. :)

On a corporate level, we wont roll out Vista until at least Q3 2007, there is too much in Vista that we cant lock down with AD, and we are not risking having the security holes that XP offered us.

Joel

I've heard the security on it is as tight as a drum, also MS said that with the revised security measures any Service Packs in the future wont be necessary, with all the patches etc coming through Windows update.......................... but like you say its too early to be sure.

Personally I won't be 'upgrading' unless absolutely unavoidable.

Why would I willingly install an Operating System that has been built from the ground up with the express purpose of limiting what I can do with my PC rather than expanding it?

It's a big bloater of an O/S that looks like a step backwards not forwards.

Personally I won't be 'upgrading' unless absolutely unavoidable.

Why would I willingly install an Operating System that has been built from the ground up with the express purpose of limiting what I can do with my PC rather than expanding it?

What do you mean? Please explain :huh:

I doubt I'll be upgrading until I absolutely have to, and then only when they send viruses out on to the internet to zap all previous versions of Windows. And then they'll have to get through my firewall. :)

A lot of Vista seems to be designed around a 'pretty' OS. I'd prefer the effort to go in to running software and managing services. The tight integration between OS and UI that Windows is increasingly bugging me.

I suspect that I'll have to upgrade one machine in order to produce teaching materials relevant to Vista and new versions of Office (as well as having one machine on XP and one on 2000).

I can't see it happening on all of my machines until there are no old computers in consumerland running anything else.

We are evaluating a few test machines, a mix of desktop and laptops basically to see how we get along, all are Windows domain members so this may affect the performance, although I wouldn't have though by very much.

We are using Vista Enterprise so not the full bells and whistles version, which probably need even more resources!

This is one resource hungry OS, if your PC runs XP at a decent speed don't assume Vista will be just as usable with the same resources available.

At very least if you are going to take the plunge fill up those memory slots.

I've heard the security on it is as tight as a drum, also MS said that with the revised security measures any Service Packs in the future wont be necessary, with all the patches etc coming through Windows update.......................... but like you say its too early to be sure.

Thats what they said about XP. I've got a couple of virtual PC's connected the a virtual DC, and a lot of the Group Policy settings from 2k3 AD don't apply properly to Vista. We have Vista Ultimate and Enterprise licenses, due to our software assurance agreement with Microsoft.

But with 700 PC's in our domain, and another 900+ to go, we need to be rock solid sure before we deploy it.

Office 2007 is schedules for March deployment, followed by Exchange 2007.

Joel

I doubt I'll upgrade my current PC's with Vista.

But I am looking forward to using it on the next new PC I get.