Sign in to follow this  

Up to 25% of computers on the internet may be compromised...

This is a scary story!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6298641.stm

I had no idea it was this many computers.

Which means that, statistically, 1 in 4 of the PCs accessing SF may have unwanted visitors.

Time to take a good look at http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_sf_computer_help and slap some Botnet ass. :)

Its not surprising really. Computers are sold to novices who with all respect to them, don't have the first clue about computer security. Its not their fault really, its amazing the number of PC's that are sold with little or no protection on board.

For the sake of 5 mins to install AVG or the likes on a new computer in the store, it could prevent a lot of these.

Although, it does make you wonder how the figures are reached, and how much of it is scare tactics. Not that there is anythings wrong with that, scare tactics are good in this case.

Joel

One of the things that really annoys me is that so many basic internet courses start with connecting to the internet.

I believe that any basic internet course should start with protecting yourself, your family and your computer before you connect it to the internet.

After all, every driving lesson starts with putting your seat belt on, doesn't it?

It is bizarre.

I was surprised about the figures, though I have to say that when I put an unprotected test machine in the DMZ of my router, it didn't survive untouched for very long. :)

As for educating users - absolutely. I'd like to see ISPs ship configured combined ADSL Modem / routers rather than the current USB modems, and also adopt beefier controls of mail servers.

And yes - just slapping AVG and similar kit on a machine isn't the hardest job in the world.

I have to admit I'm actually surprised it's only 25%. I wonder what the private / business machine split is?