Kites and Where to fly them

I've had a few kites for some years and I'm looking for some good places to fly them. So far I've tried the field up towards redmires by the SPortsman Pub. It's ok, but is there anywhere better (don't mind a 20 minute drive).

Somewhere nice and flat with no cliffs or powerlines that is exposed and gets a good smooth airflow (no large rows of trees or biig buildings)?

Somewhere like the beach (I miss the sea so much. I wish we could return to the devonian period and have a lovely tropical beach here, instead of of the M1.

So yeah, kites? Where to fly if you do, and if you do what do you fly?

I have a 6' delta 2 line, a 6' flexifoil (not soft sport kite) and a small soft but fast parafoil stunt kite. I'm thinking of getting some sort of 'deep-sky' delta, maybe a 10' or 15' wingspan. Although looking at the prices, I may have to make it instead.

I had a go up at the Sportsman pub at Lodge Moor with a power kite, great fun. I guess these guys now were to go so maybe this is the best place.

How about up on Mam Torr?

We go up quite regularly to Lodge Moor - Sportsman pub. There is a 'kite night' run by Sheffield Kite Club (http://www.gilhooleyfamily.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/skf/index.htm). They also meet over in Chesterfield but I've not been to that ground. I also know that some people go up to Burbage to fly but I reckon with the size of kites you've got you could do yourself some serious injury falling down into the valley!!!

I have an Ozone Imp (nice and small and girly!), my husband has an Ozone 2m something or other! Not huge but enough to pull you on a decent board. Recently we went kiting to Abersoch in N Wales (fabulous place) and it was sooo windy the Imp was pulling us off our feet!

So, who do you kite with at present? on your own or with a group of friends? There is a group of 7 of us who go quite regularly but one broke his leg so is out for a bit!

Believe it or not, Arbourthorne Recreation Ground works really well - big open space, one of Sheffield's highest hills, hellishly windy...we had the Midland Kite Flyers out once...worth a try if you don't want to have to drive out of Sheffield.

I don't get to go out flying kites often, but I do carry a little one around in my bag all the time so I can lauch it at a moment's notice when conditions are right and the mood takes me.:D

Originally posted by cosywolf

I don't get to go out flying kites often, but I do carry a little one around in my bag all the time so I can lauch it at a moment's notice when conditions are right and the mood takes me.:D

Bloomin hell, you are prepared, what else you got in there.

I can feel a new post coming on.....................

What do you have in your handbag?

Anywhere in the Rother Valley is quite good as you get a 'draught' through it.

I used to go to the fields at the side of the River Rother at Woodhouse Mill, but they have turned it into a nature reserve and restricted some of the access.

Wadsley Common used to be pretty good when I was a kid - easy access and good pubs near either end.

Best kites and kiting I'v ever seen were at Clover Point in Victoria, British Columbia - nearly all Chinese (Victoria has the oldest Chinatown in North America).

Wadsley common is too overgrown now to fly

Check out the Sheffield kite fliers website also try stanage edge at the top of hathersage

The chesterfield site where we the SKF go tends to have clean winds depending on direction