Should we be allowed to take Cycles on Trams?

not sure that i see the logic in allowing bicycles on board trams. the point of cycling is to ride a bike and not hop on the tram whenever there is a spot of rain.

The logic is quite simple. Some people ie me don't have the time or fitness to ride aound 30 miles a day (there and back to work). You could say that about having legs to walk, what's the logic of getting on a tram when you can walk to where you want to go.

Another reason is so that when your'e not working you could get out via the tram to where there are cycle tracks for example the Trans Pennine Trail. Then you'd be out of the ever busier roads.

im warming to the idea of allowing bicycles on the trams. the more cyclists using the trams means fewer of them on the roads causing mayhem and enticing road rage.

I think CTC were campaigning to get Stagecoach to allow cycles on trams a while ago, seem to remember seeing a picture of one of them with a full size cardboard cutout of a bike on the tram, which the conductor was fine with... can't find a link now though.

There's a brief mention of the cardboard cut-outs on one of the CTC pages.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4580

Doesn't look like too many tram systems allow bikes on them.

Overall I would say it is better to have cycles on trams then trams on cycles, but from some contributions on this forum I suspect others will disagree.

im warming to the idea of allowing bicycles on the trams. the more cyclists using the trams means fewer of them on the roads causing mayhem and enticing road rage.

Could say the same about motorists... :hihi:

i think that broken cycles should be allowed on trams, and i see no problem with it at peak times, but if they did let people on all the time, i can picture a load of people on the way to work cycling to a tram stop, hopping on a tram then making out they cycle to work.

if you do want to cycle, you surely cant want to hop on a tram. and besides getting into the centre would be quicker on bike than tram anyway, its only coming back up the hill thats a bit longer

Intresting - Manchester Metro don't allow bikes on either. Once saw a poor girl with a punctured bike trying to get on to save her a five mile walk. The hartless driver wouldn't let her on even though it would cause no harm at all.

Don't see what the problem is personally, if you let prams and mobility scooters on, then why are bikes any different.

Well mobility scooters are for the disabled, so you can't really expect them to go any fair distance on just their mobility scooter, they'd take ages and be freezing, similarly it's difficult to get out and about with a small child. People who cycle are a lot fitter.

Well mobility scooters are for the disabled, so you can't really expect them to go any fair distance on just their mobility scooter, they'd take ages and be freezing, similarly it's difficult to get out and about with a small child. People who cycle are a lot fitter.

like sheffield to skeggi

I see no reason why bikes shouldn't be allowed on trams. After all, wheelchairs are allowed. Letting bikes on would be a step towards an integrated transport policy too.

There are plenty of tram systems that allow bikes, such as here in Düsseldorf. It just costs an adult fare, so the company earns on it. Of course, the owners have to be considerate, but so should all passengers be. Others towns I know just let bikes on at off-peak times. That's probably the best solution. Banning them is just short sighted.

Halfway Park and Ride allow free secure cycle parking. Drop your bike there and ride.

not sure that i see the logic in allowing bicycles on board trams. the point of cycling is to ride a bike and not hop on the tram whenever there is a spot of rain.

What about if a gale force wind (such as we have had recently) springs up whilst you are at work.

What about a puncture on a rainy night or a bike which has been vandalised.

What about being taken ill when you are out.

There are no end of reasons when it may be necessary to have a ride home with the bike.

If National & Local Government wish to increase bike usage, they must work with companies like Supertram to have bike friendly policies, at least some of the time.