Sheffields highest and lowest points above sea level???

it seems before anyone can find out a different the highest point within the sheffield post code,is the junction of mortimer road and cranberry road sheffield s36 s9 and also mortimer appears to be the longest road in the sheffield postal district

When I lived in the Peak district in the 70's, we had a Sheffield postcode, and we were well high up.

but was that actually classed as sheffield? Barnsley has a sheffield post code but thankfully its not classed as sheffield!

:hihi:

Margery Hill on Howden Moors at 546m is the highest point within Sheffield's boundaries. That's 1791.3 feet. Quick! Let's put a 9-foot pole there to get to 1800 feet. :)

The Sheffield side of the canal opposite the end of Steel Street on the Sheffield/Rotherham boundary at about 25m is the lowest point within Sheffield's boundaries.

I don't quite live up a mountain at only 172m (564 feet) at my place.

My old grandfather was a keen collector of Sheffield trivia. Hw always said that the highest point in Sheffield was Mount Zion at Crookes.

My old grandfather was a keen collector of Sheffield trivia. Hw always said that the highest point in Sheffield was Mount Zion at Crookes.

Crookes Cemetary is the highest part of Crookes and is only 240m above sea level.

Crookes Cemetary is the highest part of Crookes and is only 240m above sea level.

I'd guess that at one time Crookes was the highest point in Sheffield with housing.

i was up over stanage edge this morning,

wether or not high neb is or isn't the highest place as i stood there i reccon i was probly the highest person in sheffield still with their feet on the ground :hihi:

view from the edge..

looking toward high neb..

JJ..

i was up over stanage edge this morning,

wether or not high neb is or isn't the highest place as i stood there i reccon i was probly the highest person in sheffield still with their feet on the ground :hihi:

view from the edge..

looking toward high neb..

JJ..

High neb is around 459m i think still pretty high.

Personally, I believe the highest point is Hallam Grange Road, Lodge Moor (five minutes from where I live).

You can look out toward Lincoln (the cathedral is easy to spot) or in the other direction, over Hallam Golf Course, look down onto Hillsborough or out toward Stocksbridge.

Having said this, you can go higher up Ringinglow Road but I'm not sure this is within the city's boundaries.

You can look out toward Lincoln (the cathedral is easy to spot) or in the other direction, over Hallam Golf Course, look down onto Hillsborough or out toward Stocksbridge.

Can you really see Lincoln Cathedral from there?