Mojo club in the 60s

I do know that Stevie Wonder played there when he was about 16 when he was just starting out and he was actually called Little Stevie Wonder.

Shazine

Thanks for the info

Johnj

ive got a book about the mojo club called memories of sheffields king mojo club written by dave manvell john firminger and peter stringfellow, it tells you about all the bands and people that played there, any info you would like let me know

ike and tina turner, wilson pickett, john lee hooker, the isley brothers, bo diddley all played there betweem 1964 - 1967

Aaah!! The Mojo days!!!

I used to go there, mainly to see the american blues singers & harmonica players, I managed to get backstage & actually sat & talked with Sonny Boy Williamson, he was so friendly & we chatted for about an hour, he gave me many tips on playing the blues harmonica, & even gave me one of his harmonicas & we played together, I couldn't believe my luck, he was a really nice guy.

I also met & chatted backstage with Jimmy Reed, another harmonica player & was given a blues harp by him too.

No i'm not a 'groupie' I just had to meet these legends & I will never forget their presence.

It was bands like the Rolling Stones who 'discovered' the blues in America, which helped put the black american blues singers on the world stage & soul music evolved from then on, so a big thanks to them.

I think you'll find, Ruby, that John was the drummer, not the roadie, with the Cadillacs, Johnny Tempest's backing group.

I think you'll find, Ruby, that John was the drummer, not the roadie, with the Cadillacs, Johnny Tempest's backing group.

Just goes to show how memory plays tricks with you, but that band was a little before my time :)

Poor old John, I just thought he was the roadie. Quite a shock to find that he's died though. I supposed he'd be about 70 if he was still around?

My mum used to work there. She was called Barbara Chappell then.

From what she has told me it wasn't open for very long but she loved the place. Wish I had been in around in the 60s!

There's an article about the Mojo club here:

http://jackthatcatwasclean.blogspot.com/2007/12/sheffield-king-mojo-club-memories.html

The guys running the site are creating an archive of original mod recollections and information. They'd be glad to hear from anyone with memories of the time...

There's an article about the Mojo club here:

http://jackthatcatwasclean.blogspot.com/2007/12/sheffield-king-mojo-club-memories.html

The guys running the site are creating an archive of original mod recollections and information. They'd be glad to hear from anyone with memories of the time...

So the stage at the Mojo was six feet high?

I'd say 18 inches at the most.

Hi

I was wondering if anyone used to go to the mojo club in the 60s ?

my brother used to be in a band called Chicago line and they released a single called Shimmy shimmy ko ko bop / jump back

legend has it that Peter stringfellow (then their manager ) sang backing vocals.

its my brothers 60th birthday party this weekend and we would love to share some storys from the good old days !!!!

thanks

I used to go.

The best night for me was John Mayall with Eric Clapton around the time the made the Beano album.

---------- Post added 12-01-2013 at 16:50 ----------

Hi

I was wondering if anyone used to go to the mojo club in the 60s ?

my brother used to be in a band called Chicago line and they released a single called Shimmy shimmy ko ko bop / jump back

legend has it that Peter stringfellow (then their manager ) sang backing vocals.

its my brothers 60th birthday party this weekend and we would love to share some storys from the good old days !!!!

thanks

I saw The Who there twice and have been deaf ever since.

yes , especially when 'Little stevie wonder @ fell off , we pushed him back on but he was facing the wrong way:)

---------- Post added 11-04-2013 at 17:14 ----------

yes , especially when 'Little stevie wonder ' fell off , we pushed him back on but he was facing the wrong way:)