Mojo club in the 60s

A copy of CHICAGO LINE SHIMMY SHIMMY KO KO BOP / JUMP BACK ( UK PHILIPS BF 1488 1966) went for £200 at the end of last year on ebay (see popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=180052389513)

I was a mod in the 80s/90s and still go to the occasional do. This song was really big at mod dos (including 'Brighton Beach' at the City Hall) in the late 90s early 00s. I've danced to it many times - a great track to dance to :D

How exciting !! it seems weird to think that people have been dancing to my brothers song when we have all thought that we were the only ones that knew of it and get it out every christmas and partys and sing along. even better if he is at the party cos we always make him sing it.

i found last year a cd on the internet called freakbeat vol 2 and it had both songs on it. thanks for your coments.

Hi Bali,thanks for the PM.I tried to reply but made a mistake and lost it.I never knew your brother or any other member of the band.I just saw them that one time when they supported the Small Faces,although I would have seen them had they been around, because I thought they were great,and I did make a point of buying the single just to show support.What probably happened was that the Stringfellows had them playing outside the Sheffield area in order to get wider exposure for the single.A pity it didn't happen for them but there were many other talented groups in the same boat.ie.releasing a single but not having the clout to get it played on the radio.I got to know Peter S. in the late 60s when I was the DJ for the blues/progressive night at Down Broadway which was his successor to the Mojo.He talked about the Chicago Line and, although he didn't criticise them in any way,I gathered that they hadn't parted on very good terms.Anyway,my best wishes to your bro on his birthday and yes,I really do live in Japan where I get all my rock and roll from the earthquakes.Have a great weekend.Cheers,Glyn.

Hi Bali,thanks for the PM.I tried to reply but made a mistake and lost it.I never knew your brother or any other member of the band.I just saw them that one time when they supported the Small Faces,although I would have seen them had they been around, because I thought they were great,and I did make a point of buying the single just to show support.What probably happened was that the Stringfellows had them playing outside the Sheffield area in order to get wider exposure for the single.A pity it didn't happen for them but there were many other talented groups in the same boat.ie.releasing a single but not having the clout to get it played on the radio.I got to know Peter S. in the late 60s when I was the DJ for the blues/progressive night at Down Broadway which was his successor to the Mojo.He talked about the Chicago Line and, although he didn't criticise them in any way,I gathered that they hadn't parted on very good terms.Anyway,my best wishes to your bro on his birthday and yes,I really do live in Japan where I get all my rock and roll from the earthquakes.Have a great weekend.Cheers,Glyn.

thanks for that message you really are a wealth of information. you will have to get the single out of retitrement and put it on e bay (see previous posts) i am sure we will be having a great party and still making him do Shimmy shimmy (one last time ) !!!

where did you get that information from ??

my copy is not in mint condition as we always get it out at partys and have a good sing song and bop to it but will ask my brother if he still has a copy. thanks for the information.

Record Collector Rare Record Price Guide 2008 ISBN 0 9532601 5 1 - still worth a few bob even if a bit scuffed/well played.

Digging into my copy of 'The Tapestry of Delights' by Vernon Joyson, I find the following info:

'Personnel inc: Louis Cennamo/bass, Mike Fellana/trumpet, Tim Hinkley keybds, Mike Patto/vocals, Viv Prince/drums: A short lived 1966 outfit which evolved out of the Bo Street Runners. Their single fetches high prices amongst collectors. Cannamo and Fellana went on todo session work, whilst Patto was later in Boxer and had his own band. Shimmy Shimmy Ko Ko Bop was a heavy dance number. Jump Back was a bluesy interpretation of a Rufus Thomas song. Both sides of the 45 resurfaced on 'Electric Sugarcube Flashback vol2'. Viv Prince was the Pretty Things drummer and also recorded a solo 45 in 1966'

I used to go to the Mojo, Down Broadway and the Penthouse regularly as well. I also painted the murals on the walls of those clubs.

So many good times, good people, good bands and good music.

Hi sirglyn and rubydazzler might I know you?

I'm Paul Norton and came from Chesterfield at the time. Usually danced up front or on the small stage. I was buddies with the Stringfellows, Dinky Dawson, Dick West, Steve Glaves, Steve Hackett, Dave Henderson, Tony Sandford, and many others that I have forgotten the names of. Three of my fave female dancing partners were called Gill, Kath and Judy. I used to meet Gill sometimes at dinnertime sessions at the Top Rank in Sheffield - hi are you still around! I think Kath moved to London in the late 60s. Judy now lives in Dronfield.

I knew Pat Sweetwater who used to DJ at Down Broadway as well. I went to the Mojo re-unions at the Leadmill and the London Hippodrome too. Did you?

I have posted some Mojo, Penthouse and Leadmill info and photos on a new Sheffield history web site. http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk

Hi to anyone who remembers me. Get in touch.

Love and stuff

Paul

I too went to the Mojo Club in the sixties. Can't remember too much about it except that it was painted black inside and there was some sort of drinks bar/table at one end. Remember seeing John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers and I think the Who were also there. I may be hallucinating or was there some sort of house band that played 'Tangerine' at the end of each night??

Seems out of character for Mojo.

Tried to locate the place today where it would have stood

Got to the rough area but still can't figure out which building it would have actually been replaced by

Tried to locate the place today where it would have stood

Got to the rough area but still can't figure out which building it would have actually been replaced by

The Mojo, formerly Day's Dance Hall, was opposite Abbeyfield Park, where that white painted apartment block is now, where that road goes up from Burngrave Road behind the stone wall.

It was a great place in its day. :)

Hi sirglyn and rubydazzler might I know you?

There's a blast from the past, Dinky Dawson! Far from dinky lol, hence the name :) Steve Hackett became the roadie for the Alan Bown. His brother John used to be on the door as well. There was also John Hall? used to roadie for Johnny Tempest and then became Stringy's general gofer and wingman.

I think Kath moved to London in the late 60s.
I moved there in the late 60s too, but I'm not Kath, don't remember you or the other names you mention either, but I've always been better with faces than names.

I went to the Mojo re-unions at the Leadmill and the London Hippodrome too. Did you?
I went to the first one and Arthur Clover, one of the orginals and one of the great dancers, was there all the way from Oz ... I've got some pix somewhere ...

Now I'm just turned 60 and just don't know how I suddenly find myself so old as I still feel exactly the same inside :hihi: ... in the early 60s we seem to have had the best music, best clothes and best hair - they were great times, weren't they?

Hi Rubydazzler,

I have hopefully sent a private mail to you. Let me know if you didnt get it.

Paul Norton

I too went to the Mojo Club in the sixties. Can't remember too much about it except that it was painted black inside and there was some sort of drinks bar/table at one end. Remember seeing John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers and I think the Who were also there. I may be hallucinating or was there some sort of house band that played 'Tangerine' at the end of each night??

Seems out of character for Mojo.

Description is pretty similar to my recollections. Only went 3/4 times because I was only 16 at the time and quite honestly I was scared to death my dad would find out! Fortunately on the occasions I did go it was to see John Mayall and I also remember seeing The Who. I remember the stage area being very small and cramped and Keith Moon doing a drum solo. It was so hot and humid there was condensation dripping from the ceiling, Keith Moon's t-shirt was wet through with sweat and there were puddles on the floor - but that may have been spilt booze! Have told my kids about it many times but I still don't think they believe me. Ah, happy memories - and I remember Pete Stringfellow in his green parka!

Also remember going to the Esquire several times - thought I was really grown up! I seem to remember girls dancing on beer barrels and that there was a type of 'gallery' with rails. I think that was when drugs started to rear their ugly heads. Remember a couple of girls at Granville College who seemed to be there all the time and used to brag about taking 'purple hearts' - later found out one of them ended up a heroin addict! Am I right in thinking this is the same site as the current Leadmill or was it just nearby? Norton dance was more my style!

Hi

I am currently researching my dissertation - title is "How did American Soul music impact British Popular music culture during the 1960's"

I would welcome any stories or events that you recall when you attended the Mojo Club that could be used as part of my research work. Any work that I do use will be referenced to its contributor

Thanking you in advance

John Jones