Forum writers' anthology

i'm sure someone somewhere-as there's nothing new one can do or think on this side of the sun-has thought about or discussed this but i'll try anyway. what say we come up with some kind of forum anthology, find some place for some kind of lauch, get people to read their work, do some kind of raffle for poundshop prizes and give the money to some charity-my kaimani's booze fund yet-to-be-registred charity would be a most worthwhile cause- and see what happens. the anthology itself doesn't have to be anything fancy. i'm sure we have some talented illustrators, editors and whatnot here who can give some of their expertise for the love of the art. i for one would gladly do whatever needs to be done that doesn't require much talent, or effort, or time, or wlaking, or staying awake, or...

this is jah work, only the mistakes are mine.

blessed rasta

Hiya,

This is an excellent idea and one we've been kicking about 'behind the scenes' for a while - I know when we kicked off teh group we said 'Give it a year and then consider an anthology'.....we're heading in to the end of that year now. :)

I'd be game for helping out.

An anthology of writers work was mentioned in the very early days of the writers group, as Joe P says the idea was put on the back burner until we have actually had a bigger pool of stories to choose from.

In a few more months we might reach that critical mass, I’m sure many of the authors would be thrilled to see their name in print – who wouldn’t?

Assuming we did go ahead with it I am fairly certain it would be a success, with over 36,000 members of the forum if only 5% of them purchased a copy that would be over 1800 copies sold.

BUT (and this is a big BUT) there would be many issues that would need addressing to ensure it doesn’t degenerate into a ‘vanity press’ exercise.

Some serious thought would have to be given to (a) the quality and type of stories (b) the target audience © marketing and publicity (d) distribution (e) financially viability and whether it would actually make any money for charity.

If it was coordinated with the talented SF photographers & illustrators I’m sure we could produce a quality book that Sheffield would be proud of.

I’m up for it.

Some serious thought would have to be given to (a) the quality and type of stories (b) the target audience © marketing and publicity (d) distribution (e) financially viability and whether it would actually make any money for charity.

If it was coordinated with the talented SF photographers & illustrators I’m sure we could produce a quality book that Sheffield would be proud of.

I’m up for it.

Well you can count me in.

Tonight I have just been to see a good friend of mine in Western Park, only to find I was too late.

That will be the third good friend I have lost in the last twelve months to that dreaded disease.

So if I can help in any way, give me a shout.

Yes! I have been drowning my sorrows, but tomorrow I will still feel the same.

Well You know that you can take any of my stuff thats on the group.

Members could submit links to pieces on this thread, when there is enough a designated person could compile a suitable running order and compile one document containing all the pieces. A global style and look and feel will obviously need to be employed. If this is just a text document it can be uploaded for approval.

We may need to nominate an editor and give them the final say on putting the thing together.

This document could be submitted to illustrators who can select a story that they feel happy illustrating. These images can be scanned and cut and pasted into the document. We cannot/should not upload a document to the server with images due to size limitations.

I (and I’m sure others here) have been through this process and it’s not as hard as you’d think.

Should poetry be included with fiction/non fiction? (I’m open to anything but just wondering about a cohesive feel).

Anyway, just a few thoughts....:)

I'm quite interested in the idea of using writing to raise money for charity. I know I've just joined, but could I nominate the NSPCC, if and when the idea gets off the ground?

Also, I wonder; would the arts council be of any help in raising some initial revenue to get a SF print anthology up and running?