Creative car parking solution

Right, this follows on from an earlier post in a 'School run parking' thread. I bounced the idea of parking in peoples driveways, and paying for the privilige. It was a a tad tongue in cheek at the time, but I've been thinking; It's not as daft as it first reads.

A lot of people live quite centrally to the City centre/Schools/Hospitals etc where the availability of parking is dire. Many of these residents commute to their place of work, leaving their driveway empty for the bulk of the working day. Similarly, there are many people who don't own vehicles and consequently have space available.

Sooooo..............

It can't be beyond the wit of man to come up with some form of working solution whereby these residents can rent their driveways for specific times of the day, maybe even to specific individuals; say you do the school run, and notice that someone doesn't use their drive for that 15minute pick-up window. Well, how about bunging them a £5 a week (£1/day) for parking on their drive. It's bloody cheaper than a fine, and safer too.

Say you work in a local hospital; are there residents nearby who you could rent their drive from. If they are working, they won't be back untill gone 5pm, by which time you should have left anyway.

Have a think about it. I think there is a germ of an idea, but by chucking it on to this forum it will sink or swim!!!!

PS Sheffield Star........ why don't you nick this idea and run with it as your own??!!

Im not having a woman driver trying to reverse her huge 4x4 on to my drive then letting her sprogs run riot over my garden,think of the repair bills!

Its definatly a good idea. On a small scale all you'd need to do is push a few leaflets through some doors requesting a driveway, im sure someone who doesn't own a car would be happy for the exra fiver a day.

Or on a larger scale you could set up a website where people can post their rough location and drivers could search through and get in touch with the resident.

Someone has already been here, and set up

parkatmyhouse.com

Not many in Sheffield at the moment....

We did this when we went to Lincoln Christmas market

Well well, thanks hsb98c I didn't know that existed. Just goes to show there's no original ideas left!!

Might work on an informal 'ad hoc' basis around schools etc......

Why should they pay?! I know of a particular mother in the south of Sheffield that used to park her car on my neighbour's drive quite often, often boxing them in and not seeing it as an issue. For some reason, she thought she had the right to park wherever she felt.

I think its a great idea... Everyones a winner!

I think this is a great idea, I could make a killing, especially with a certain chinese restaurant close by, and the owners/staff tend to park on our road, occupying spaces that could be used by the residents, (parking on our road is a nightmare at the best of times) and charging them double!:D

and a home security company whose white estate vans park on corners near junctions for days on end.

I cant believe they park on our road, and WALK TO THE RESTAURANT,taking up spaces that we residents use (NOT that I'm saying WE residents HAVE A GOD GIVEN RIGHT to park outside our homes), when there is a perfectly good long lay-by type parking area BANG OUTSIDE the restaurant. :rant:

In the 80's I used to live on Shenstone Road and very often used to "sell" my drive for parking on Saturdays when there was a football match - mainly to the "away" fans. Because it's a cul-de-sac cars and vans used to come up the road looking for spaces (don't suppose they could do that these days as I believe all roads now get blocked off) and I would very often get asked if they could park on the drive and I used to say "yeh" and charge them for the privilege. Can't remember how much now though but expect it would have been a couple of quid. But the fans were always grateful!