'Forgotten' Stray Dog Dies in Police Kennels

When I heard this today I felt sick to my stomach. How on earth can they 'forget' a dog. I understand that it may not have been booked in etc, but surely the poor thing would have whined/barked/generally made some kind of noise that someone would have heard.

Lost for words really on this one.

When I heard this today I felt sick to my stomach. How on earth can they 'forget' a dog. I understand that it may not have been booked in etc, but surely the poor thing would have whined/barked/generally made some kind of noise that someone would have heard.

Lost for words really on this one.

I know some dogs can be quiet but when it's having to go to the loo in the kennel and is starving hungry for however many days one would think it'd make some noise wouldn't you. :(

It's quite possible the officer responsible wasn't aware that the dog had to be booked in (although if I came up against something I had no experience of in my job, I'd ask a superior just to be sure) but yes, Strix, you'd think someone would have noticed it.

Who knows, perhaps the owners had even tried to contact the police to find their dog but been told they had none booked in :( :(

I bet it goes on a lot - i know it does in the pounds

one of our lot got an old girl out this week - nobody knew how long she had been in the pound - eaten herself raw with the fleas - infested infected ears - a total matt of hair mixed with faeces etc.,

been on operating table and cleaned up bless her - managed to even wag her tail when she came round.

What hell some of them go through behind closed doors -

I must admit Rainrescue i respect you greatly for the good hard work you and other small rescue centres do.

I read this story and i was outraged, arent there supposed to be acts and legislations out now that protect animals from harm...Someone should have been checking each and every kennel at least twice to make sure that the dogs arent swamped down with their own faeces. Surely someone should have seen that the greyhound hadnt been fed or given any water. I dont know about anyone else but i make sure my animals constantly have water to drink and regularly change it in case it gets too dirty...

I am also sure that anywhere, even a dog pound, that holds dogs for any amount of time should have staff to regularly check water in the kennels. Why not create some sort of chart or something to stick on the front of the kennels to say when they have been fed or not, then at least the f****ing police dont have to use to much energy to look into the kennel or flick through a book...

And you know what outrages me even more the frigging penalty for abusing or killing an animal in any way...it disgusts me and angers me so much...

I know that even though the B*****Ds who did this will get punished it will only be a slap on the hands...

From Fallen

There are only some of the kennels where dogs are held in these conditions throughout the country. they are well known in the rescue world which ones they are. However, the rspca, dogs trust and the councils go into these places on a regular basis and yet still they get away with the conditions.

Basically the dogs have the 3 basic needs - shelter, water and food. (yeah right).

I thought that the new animal welfare bill would mean that they would have to be looked after better than they are - that sick ones would have to be taken to a vet by either the council that took them in or the pound that was looking after them. Silly me.

The new animal welfare bill doesn't seem to cover council stray kennels. Why - cos its the councils that would get into trouble if they were found negligent - and its the councils that do the inspecting.

Its the same old story - nobody knows what to do about these strays and hand-ins - but surely someone must sleep uneasy at night - especially on freezing nights like this.

I would like to start an advertising campaign in the cities - throughout the country - asking the local population to find out whats happening to their stray dogs. Dumping your dog - is just an everyday occurence with some people. Personally i just constantly feel down with it that there is just no solution. Nobody seems to care enough to do anything about it - who are in a position of power that they could.

If this force is anything like SY - dogs are only held in kennels for a matter of hours before the dog warden collects them, so there is only ever likely to be one dog at a time there, and mostly none - hence the kennels not being checked over

The fact the details 'werent passed on' suggests this was the case, the warden being the organisation who would have received the info and moved the dog on - so it would have been the responsibility of the police less than 24 hours

I still want to know how many officers were aware there was a dog on the premises and thought it was 'somebody else's problem'. I know greyhounds are renowned for their silence, but I'm having a hard time believing this dog wouldn't have appealed for some sort of attention before it died :cry:

Is the yard covered by CCTV and who would monitor that? Moss way yard has as many cameras on it as any modern prison :suspect:

If you want to start a campaign RR - it would be most effective to present the case that it could be YOUR dog who suffers like this

Is there any dog owner on here who can, hand on heart, say they have never had to walk the streets or fields with only an empty lead for company, whilst their four legged friend is busy doing something they shouldn't? How many people have found their gate wide open and the dog half way down the street thanks to some idiot distributing pizza leaflets?

It's us loving 'normal' dog owners who need targeting in a campaign like this, as it's us who are likely to make the difference to facilities.

We don't want our dogs branded as 'strays' just because some kind person has followed what they believe is the correct procedure upon finding a fuzzy explorer, and handed them to the police

Supposing this dog did have an owner looking for it? If it wasn't on the right register (lost dog madam? you need to ring the dog warden for that, as all dogs we take in are sent on to there), they didn't have a hope in hell of finding him

Yes I do believe that you are right Strix - I really don't believe that the general public realises what goes on.

However, I see time and time again people say "oh i would dread my dog to end up in there - those poor things" but because its NOT their dog - nobody really does anything about it.

Its the dogs that NOBODY cares about - that can be left to suffer. If a dog is picked up and taken to either a pound or a police station - odds are if the owner is caring they are on the phone before its handed in. Certainly by next day - by day 2 - definately picking it up. Its the very rare ones that run out of area or that get missed.

The ones that get missed or forgotten are the ones that have already been forgotten for years - and nobody has ever cared. We have done campaigns before in local papers - people are shocked - but I don't know what to advise them to do to make the situation any better - apart from them making sure their own dog doesn't go missing. That doesn't help the system or the conditions these dogs are allowed to be kept in.

not trying to be negative - i really think we need to be behind it - but i suppose on a downer

Now hang on a sec.... :suspect:

From the fiasco I've had talking to SY police over lost/found dogs and the fact that it depends on who answers the phone what 'procedure' you're informed of (either that or it's different for different days of the week :rolleyes: ), I'd suggest that an officer who does not normally work at the station would not necessarily have the 'procedure' available to ensure this dog was cared for

now how did the regulars not notice the dog for this length of time? Was is noticed but ignored as nobody had been allocated to look after it?

Poor diggle :cry:

PS - yes, I know this isn't a SY case btw

i know this happened in scotland but do SYPD even deal with stray dogs?

i have found a rottweiler before, rung police a few times and they told me they dont deal with it - got that housed a few doors down from us about 2hours after, its well looked after now (2years on)

found an akita - scared me £$%less - found out whose it was and told them which way it had headed - they found it a few hours after.

The kennels at Woodseats were not replaced when they refurbed the station

Moss way still takes dogs for a few hours before the warden can collect them

The lost dog register is another kettle of fish (and has a thread somewhere)

Dogs I've found in the past I have insisted on being listed on the dog register with the police, but I've kept hold of them, and this method has proved very successful in returning a dog to it's owner not too far from us, without them incurring the charge levvied by the authorities, and with a couple of phonecalls

I wound up with a dog overnight, found by a forummer after midnight, on a night when SY police were all up to their necks in the Fletchers fire and had no staff to be looking after lost dogs

The arrangements in SY suck :mad:

Welll thanks to a forumer we are getting a feature in the Sheffield Star this week about it. They are asking the people of sheffield - what is happening to the dogs you don't want?

Its supposed to be there - not to blame anyone - or shame anyone in particular - just to say - come on - we are a brilliant city - lets have a brilliant dog service. Please consider a rescue dog - dont breed any more. Fingers crossed it comes out like that. We should care for all life - and not allow this pain and suffering to continue.

Wow thats great news - you must let us know when it's out so I can go buy it.