Should lorries be banned on the A57 Snake Pass?

Ban lorries from Snake Pass  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Ban lorries from Snake Pass

• Yes
    • No

I don't think anyone is suggesting breaking the law, max, but there is nothing wrong with complaining about inappropriate speed limits, which do nothing for road safety. In fact they have the detrimental effect of lowering respect for speed limits everywhere, even when they *are* appropriate.

As others have posted, a blanket 50mph may have the effect of people attempting to overtake in more dangerous places such as the twistier sections, because they know there will not be speed cameras.

Considering the amount of "to die for" signs on the A57, maybe the limit is targetted at bikers?

I recall a couple of times when a biker has been over the white lines and been literally nanoseconds from becoming embedded into my windscreen.

Considering the amount of "to die for" signs on the A57, maybe the limit is targetted at bikers?

I recall a couple of times when a biker has been over the white lines and been literally nanoseconds from becoming embedded into my windscreen.

If bikers ignore the 60 limit, why would they stick to 50?

On a modern superbike like the Yam R1 it is exceedingly difficult to stay below 60mph so they're going to have big problems! It's barely ticking over at that speed.

Most of the motorways in the north were also closed by lorries being overturned. Do you propose to ban them from everywhere?

I THINK THEY SHOULD NOT BE DRIVING IN BAD WEATHER

Why are you shouting

WHAT how and who will enforce this. what is bad, a bit of rain,a lot of rain, bit of wind, do you think that all truck drivers should have a way of mesuring the wind and rain. it would be fun in court. "you were driving in a force 2 with gusts of 50 mph, and all this with 14 ml of rain per hour falling from the sky.O and you would also have to take in to account the load they they have on.mmmmmmm.

As usual you are missing the point, it's still breaking the law, inappropriate speed restriction or not. Breaking the law and donating to this 'exploitation' is just pointless.

No no, I didn't say that I would break the law, nor do i have a problem with speeding fines, i'm doing pretty well avoiding them.

I have a problem with speed limits being set inappropriately in a rather cynical attempt by the authorities to make money. To top it all off they then claim that it's all an attempt to increase safety, which is patently a lie. I object to being lied to by the government and their agencies and I object to them doing that with the sole intent of raising money.

This thread is actually thoroughly redundant: the Snake pass is in Derbyshire and has almost no voters along it.

The route that would carry the displaced HGVs is: Bamford-Bradwell-Peak forest-Sparrowpit:- A nice big bunch of Derbyshire voters.

An action severely detrimental to Derbyshire businesses and electors is not likely to be enacted to suit a few 'NIMBY' Sheffielders, is it?:)

This thread is actually thoroughly redundant: the Snake pass is in Derbyshire and has almost no voters along it.

The route that would carry the displaced HGVs is: Bamford-Bradwell-Peak forest-Sparrowpit:- A nice big bunch of Derbyshire voters.

An action severely detrimental to Derbyshire businesses and electors is not likely to be enacted to suit a few 'NIMBY' Sheffielders, is it?:)[/QUOT

you are bang right end of thread

As others have posted, a blanket 50mph may have the effect of people attempting to overtake in more dangerous places such as the twistier sections, because they know there will not be speed cameras.

If they put a speed camera on the main straight you'd probably find you will try your upmost on the subsequent/previous straight. Its going to weight your decision on whether to risk an overtake and not in a good way.

Or, you may get someone trying to overtake but stay under 50mph. The longer you spend on the opposite site of the line the more dangerous it is. It would be safer to burst up to 90mhp in many cases. Overtaking is the most dangerous maneuver you can perform on the roads, but for people who use the snake regularly know its something that occasionally is necessary.