Anyone been to Longdendale?

Hi Folks, I've seen the falls in the Blacks (South of Birchen Bank Wood) and although its perfectly do-able you do have to take care in those areas as much of it is steep rough ground. Best park at the tunnels if you're going there...

Same goes for the one between Shining and Stable, you really need your navigation head on for that as its hard to get to directly. I don't know if there's access from the TP Trail below there.

The other thing with water falls is that they're always more spectacular in Winter when there's a melt, but who wants to stand under one then?!!

There's a pretty good one on Wildboar Clough but I've only seen it when frozen. A bloke was climbing it with Crampons and Axes! Respect!

The Longdendale Peak Park Ranger can offer advice on this area:

Contact Fiona Draisey

Telephone: 01457 866239

email: longdendale@peakdistrict.gov.uk

Cheers

B

I'd recommend getting a copy of Mark Richards' High Peak Walks and plan your own walking. It's a book that served me well over the years.

I'd recommend getting a copy of Mark Richards' High Peak Walks and plan your own walking. It's a book that served me well over the years.

I've asked if they have it in stock, if so I'll buy.

Thank you.

Amazon seem to have one copy in stock! It's a great book, even just to read: like a Wainwright for the Peak.

Amazon seem to have one copy in stock! It's a great book, even just to read: like a Wainwright for the Peak.

I've e-mailed the address that you gave, so really, I feel that I must let them reply before I go to Amazon. If it is like Wainwright I'll read it cover to cover.

We don't get many writers like him around these days.

I hope that when we do the 'Longendale' walk you will be in the number.

We have got one Next Thursday evening through Eccelsall Woods.

See postings in the Walkers Group. (Everyone & Dogs welcome)

I find Mark Richards readable, but not quite in the same way as Wainwright: his writing style was unique. The similarity is in the style of presentation, hand-written and hand-drawn. You'll know what I mean when you get the book :)

Thanks for the invites, but my walking opportunities are rather limited nowadays. But I'm working on it :thumbsup: