Loxley Valley Walk next Sunday 28th Jan

Oh fairweather fools! :P

We had a great walk. It didn't rain and wasn't even too cold. It was a trip down memory lane for both myself and Feargal and we were both full of stories along the route - me of college and the Flood, her of growing up and family anecdotes. ItIsNow was getting to know us and we her, and scubz didn't pay attention to any of the commentary!

We stopped for a sarnie and chips at the Nag's Head, which I didn't like at all but was packed out, and the lovely post office in Bradfield with the rather odd lad who hadn't quite got the knack of this serving lark. The Plough was shut so we had to go straight to the bus stop at the end of the walk! :o

We were privelidged to see the stepped overflow cascades in full flow from the brimfull reservoirs - better than Chatsworth.

The valley was lovely as ever, forgotten and poignant. I kept trying to imagine a 50 foot wave crashing through. We continued on to the Dale Dyke Dam itself, with its minimal and abandoned memorial, deep and steep valley walls, and eerie isolation. The new dam was choppy, and the way across forbidden, but we crossed it illicitly. I will come back again soon, even if alone, in the sunshine, with my flood book uncellared.

Scubz, Feargal and ItIsNow, Here's that car place. Click on the links at the bottom, - the British bit, cars for hire, cars sold etc. 'Car storage' shows what it looks like inside one of the sheds. The emerald green Ford Edsel I mentioned has been snapped up, I see. :(

I haven't got many photos. The light was low, I was too full of my own thoughts and narrating bits of info. I took so many photos at college, I didn't have the hunger to take more.

Thanks for organising the walk,purdy - I thoroughly enjoyed myself.:)

Fab company,lovely views and a smashing lunch in the pub.(Even though I nearly got clocked in the face by a snooker cue...lol).

Tell you what,though - my legs are KILLING me.. ( it's my age,you know..).

Nothing that a warm soak in the bath won't cure.

Do you think anyone saw us nipping across the grassy bit on the dam? We should go incognito,next time.(Hoodies,and stuff...)

The kid in the pub was a shade weird,eh? He pours a LOVELY coloured water.LOL

Seriously - it was a great walk and I'm so glad I could join you.

Feargal and Scubz - thanks for the company and the chats ( you too,purdy).Looking forward to Saturday.:)

It did slightly freak me out when the police helicopter suddenly appeared. Luckily we'd just become legal again! :o

Really glad you enjoyed it, ItIsNow! It's always great when newbies come along - we hope to make a good enough impression that you'll want to come again. You're one of the gang now, you know. :thumbsup:

Just to say that I'll not put the photos of the walk up yet. I'm planning on doing the walk again very soon with my friend Mel who was with me at Loxley College and who's as drawn to the valley as I am. Hopefully the weather will be better and I'll take lots of evocative and arty shots and report back to show people what it looks like. Although I suspect we won't be so lucky with the Chatsworth cascades. :)