I think I have writers block!

like everyone i get wirter's block ever once in a while. but mine tends to take a perculiar form. i never can not write. never. but sometimes when i'm working on a book my mind will simply shut down evertime i even think of the project. but i can always write something else. and i've realise, from the hundred or so such pieces, that my writers block allows me to write only this strange kind of ****. anyway here it is, tell me what you think it is. everything in it has happened to me.

blessed rasta

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

So I’ve been fired again. Yes, if memory serves me right it’s the sixth time in just under three years. More or less. They tend to blend each other after being told once or twice by some burly security guy to walk this way and keep walking. You develop a sixth sense knowing when your P45 is about to be printed.

It’s come to a point were I have to look for work further and further away from home because no call centre within twenty miles will have me. And I only got into call centres because no factory, after a while, would take me. I could complain that the Poles came and made it impossible to find any kind of manual work, but that would sound rich coming from an African who’s no doubt not only not in the EU but who’s country was considered to have behaved so deplorably it needed to be suspended from the common wealth. I’m not going to even dare complain about the Indians and call centres.

Anyway, I’m unemployed, again. I should be totally dejected, crying in my beer and rolling blunt after blunt saying things like ‘my life is over’, and shaking my head while blowing my nose loudly. But truth is, I’m more relieved than anything. Well, maybe relieved is the wrong word. I’m not sure there’s a right word for it.

The first time I was called into the office and told to hand in my swipe card was about as scary as the day I stood at Heathrow airport answering questions coming from a twenty year old who could make it so the house a family of six had lived in for twenty years would go to the loan shark just by stamping ‘entry denied’ on the passport. She stamped a year, the loan was paid back in six months. But that day they came to get me was just about the same as standing there explaining why I wanted to study to be a nurse when my ‘A’ Levels meant I could be an astronaut if I wanted to. Wanted to tell her I’m a people person and don’t have much love for Martians. I didn’t. I said I meant to help people and make the world a better place. I had been listening to Michael Jackson’s ‘heal the world’ on the plane. The nice girl smiled at me nodded a lot and welcomed me to the land of fish and chips. It’d be three years before I’d have fish and chips.

The grumpy manager who everyone said was gay-‘who works in a call centre for ten years if you’re not a woman or gay’. Not my words-sat me down and asked how I thought I was settling in. I found it strange, as I had been working for the company for over eight months. Settling in? ‘Ok, I guess.’ Thoughts of promotions and pay rises whirled in my mind for the split second between my answer and him saying, ‘is that right?’ By the time he pressed a few keys and clicked a few times on his computer and I heard this guy saying ‘thank you for calling English Phone, how may I help you?’ I knew things were nowhere near a promotion. The guy in the recording was telling some other guy he wasn’t Chinese. Then telling he wasn’t in Africa when he’d told the guy he was African. Then saying he hadn’t run from his crimes of killing children and women to try and sleep with white women. I knew what was going to happen next. Could see the manager who everyone said was gay getting ready to press replay. ‘Sir, there is no need to be this way. Did you call to abuse me or you called because your phone’s not working and you would want something done about it?’ ‘not from a bloody African, I don’t.’ ‘Sir, ple-.’ ‘Shut up, you-.’ ‘Thank you for calling English Phone. Please call again, **** you very much.’

I handed in my pass, and went home to cry in my beer. That was three years ago. There have been many different versions of the same thing, without the drinking myself to sleep. Truth is I couldn’t care less whether someone’s phone is not working, they feel cheated of their three year warranty or don’t want double glazing. I’m going to be an astronaut.

Be what you want, and have a good cry in your beer. :thumbsup:

Quite often my own writer's block just stops me from continuing with what I'm working on, but I can go off and write something else quite happily.

Perhaps if you can only write certain types of stuff when you'r eblocked, listen to what your 'inner voice' is saying and read what you're writing. That's a story of sorts that wants to be told and that isn't getting your 'concious' attention.

So when you 'block', this materal pops up and grabs the opportunity, so to say. Perhaps you need to conciously explore the material?

Quite often my own writer's block just stops me from continuing with what I'm working on, but I can go off and write something else quite happily.

Perhaps if you can only write certain types of stuff when you'r eblocked, listen to what your 'inner voice' is saying and read what you're writing. That's a story of sorts that wants to be told and that isn't getting your 'concious' attention.

So when you 'block', this materal pops up and grabs the opportunity, so to say. Perhaps you need to conciously explore the material?

the last place i want to spend time in most times is my own head. and putting these things on paper means they are out, and i don't have to feel them scrathing the insides of my skull. becuse they do do. but they always take this wierd form that even i have no idea what they are. and right now i feel it's best to leave them that way. just putting them on paper works ok for now. kind of like smoking. the urge starts far away until it's all you can see, feel or think of. then you write something and though you know until you work out why you need to write it down-smoke- the urge will return. but you're ok for a little bit, and until the urge returns you can be just like everyone else; happy and whatnot in your pretence that all is well. god, i feel like i should be getting up off the couch now and paying a hundred bucks to the receptionist on my way out!!!

blessed rasta

Writers block is hell. I tried hard but since the last pile of cra-- the last work I added to the group, I havent been able to come up with a single thing. Nothing fictional OR from memory! Im not bored with writing, I simply cant get my feeble little brain into gear.

Writers block is hell. I tried hard but since the last pile of cra-- the last work I added to the group, I havent been able to come up with a single thing. Nothing fictional OR from memory! Im not bored with writing, I simply cant get my feeble little brain into gear.

Youll have an interesting story to write AFTER February 26th:hihi: :hihi:

Youll have an interesting story to write AFTER February 26th:hihi: :hihi:

Ill be too busy carrying some useless female and her offspring around to write!

God,,, if she sees that she`ll slaughter me like the pig that I am!

Actually its a good idea, I might log day to day events and write about them.

i hear you. my girlfriend stays out of my way when i'm blocked. she says she doen't get it coz i smoke twice as much and spend my time high as a kite literary snowed under hundreds of crumpled paper with three or so sentences with the words FU>CK and such written on them. then the cliched stop trying and it'll come always happens.

blessed rasta

Ill be too busy carrying some useless female and her offspring around to write!

God,,, if she sees that she`ll slaughter me like the pig that I am!

Actually its a good idea, I might log day to day events and write about them.

Yes, "Me and Junior" .Read my Day To Day diary.! ;)

i hear you. my girlfriend stays out of my way when i'm blocked. she says she doen't get it coz i smoke twice as much and spend my time high as a kite literary snowed under hundreds of crumpled paper with three or so sentences with the words FU>CK and such written on them. then the cliched stop trying and it'll come always happens.

blessed rasta

Ive found that when I stop trying to think of stuff to write about then something comes to mind. The trouble is, its hard to switch off once you start to worry about it, isnt it?

Ive found that when I stop trying to think of stuff to write about then something comes to mind. The trouble is, its hard to switch off once you start to worry about it, isnt it?

so true. i always find reading someone else's work then trying to write my interpretation of it works. but that's after weeks of hard cursing and smoking.

blessed rasta

Your last story was good. Im sure you will get inspiration if you have patience. :thumbsup: