Alternatives to Snakes Pass? Coming From Knutsford/Chester, Cheshire

I plan to drive from either Chester or Knutsford in Cheshire this evening to sheffield to see my girlfriend but the only route I know of is over Snakes Pass (A57). I also read theres a place called woodshead or something like that via the A628.

I would usually come through glossip and across Snakes Pass. Is there any way to avoid ALL mountain sort of areas as i do not feel safe with the wind and even if its slows down tonight there could be a big gust at any time.

Is there a route via the M1 motorway that avoids all mountain type routes, i.e It will be all Motorway/Town driving??

Is Snakes Pass even open today? Not that i would go that way if i could.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

regards,

Daniel

i think you can go on the motorway but its a long way round going on the M1 heading to leeds and then M621, M62, M6 aa route planner says it will take 2.11 to chester

hope this helps.

edit - thats sheffield to chester so do it backwards :-)

to be honest from sheffield to manchester all routes are exposed to wind and detremental weather. you can go M1 north M62 west and then M60 ring road but most off the way is exposed to high winds in fact you actually pass the highest altitude for a motorway on the M62

woodhead bypass if thats not closed:thumbsup:

woodhead bypass if thats not closed:thumbsup:

Thats the A628 right?? Is that going to be the SAFEST, not necessarily quickest way to get there?

Also does anybody know how to program a Tom Tom GO to avoid certain roads in its route planning? lol.

Dan

Having done this journey on a regular basis for a number of years - originally from Cheshire, I find that Woodhead about the quickest and easiest route, especially in the winter when the weather is bad.

Route from Knutsford Cheshire.

At M6 roundabout take the 556 to the M56.

Take theM56 following signs for Manchester airport, go past the airport turn off, then take the M60, signposted Sheffield.

Stay on the M60, go through Stockport on M60, then take the M67 turn off - again I think this is signposted Sheffield.

Follow M67 right to the end of the motorway. Keep left, following signs for Sheffield. This bit is a bit of a bottleneck, and if you travel at a busy time you will get help up here a bit.

Stay on this road, if you keep following the signs for Sheffield it will take you across Woodhead pass, 628, and eventually bring you out at the end of Stocksbridge bypass.

Like I said I tried all routes over a number of years and this seemed to be the best. I travelled from South Cheshire, and the whole journey used to take approx one and a half hours, on average. Quickest I did it was an hour and 15 mins.

To be honest I'd rather be on the Snake Pass in windy weather than the M62.

The Woodhead is only slightly better than the A57 and no quicker.

Whatever way you go you will have to cross the Pennines.

it is woodhead pass not bypass and IMO not really the best route to go in the present windy conditions the snake is safer than that route

If you really need to avoid high routes in bad weather, go down to Stoke and get on A50 over to Derby then A38 to M1 just south of Sheffield. It's a long way round but dual carriageway all the way (probably similar distance as M62 route).

If you really need to avoid high routes in bad weather, go down to Stoke and get on A50 over to Derby then A38 to M1 just south of Sheffield. It's a long way round but dual carriageway all the way (probably similar distance as M62 route).

this is a good way but it will take longer so remember to allow extra time

I agree that Woodhead is not the best of roads to take in the windy weather, but then I don't think Snake is much better. There's not really much to choose between the two. If Woodhead is open I would personally choose that route. Another route we took once was via Derby, that was a better road, but took longer to South Cheshire, and as Knutsford is mid-Cheshire would definitely be out of your way.

You can go via Macclesfield then Buxton and Bakewell. It won't be any quicker but avoids more of the Friday night traffic.